SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug and Oysters.. why not?  (Read 9222 times)

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Bug and Oysters.. why not?
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »

Came across some old pictures... so  not sure if I shared this before, but after the really great cruise to Bivalve NJ quite a while ago, as people were departing from  the Bayshore Center after the tour, Ted and I took a left out of the parking lot to see what was around.

What we found were small mountains of oyster shells.. incredible! When in one's life going to see something like this in person?!! So we drove closer to investigate.  Before I drove further down the area, Ted bailed out to take some pictures.. which came out ok. 

So, I drove down much farther, trying to get a good perspective shot, and parked...soon after seeing a huge number of seagulls, I was worried about getting bombed on  especially in a convertible -I thought I should get out of here sooon!

Ok, to be truthful, besides the birds, the stench of millions of oyster shells was so overpowering, and after the birds...the swarm of flies were just scary.... those flies looked HUGE,  you could see their face, and they looked mean..   -seenoevel   One landed on my hood so seemingly hard thought there was going to be a dent.  Needless to say,  I got out of there real, real fast  skid)) going through puddles, crunching and spitting up shells..

When I got home, I got out of my car and still smelled a heavy stench.  I  discovered the smell was coming from all underneath my car.. and realized  the water puddles I went through were rancid   -vomit\ , and the puddle "water" spray on my car fenders turned white, as did many parts  underneath my car.  cr\y  Took a few intense washings over the next few weeks to get the smell off...    asttound

Again, the cruise was amazing as well as the tour through & around the Bayshore Center  -   However as for making a short detour afterwards.....

....Well, if the world is my oyster, ....I don't want it!  n-o   

Incredible, all of that is oyster shells!!!

matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Bug and Oysters.. why not?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »

Great photos Matt! You never know what you might find driving around like that, thanks for showing the pix's/  When you think they would ship out 35 Box Cars of of thoses slimey things every week that explains the large piles. asttound
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:35:56 am »

That's what you get for not following directions!!!!   haha   old-\   whistll=-
Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:44 am »

That area actually has a Name and is on the Map..  It's Called Shell Pile as is the Town or Simply Shellpile..
 Back in the Day "which are days gone by that only Jack" can recall.. No one had stone paved driveways.. Everyone including business etc had Shell paved driveways and many still do.. After all when in it's peak the area was shipping 70+ box cars a day of Oysters out of that region and that's 70+ Box cars of mostly shucked/shelled Oysters which compacted easier for more profits. So that left Huge Plies of Shucked Oyster Shells to dispose of and those Shells paved many of the Jersey Shore Areas summer homes and business.. This area also had more Millionaires then any place in the Sates and was said to be common to see the owners etc lighting their cigars with $100 Bills.
 Even into the 60's when we use to fish that area I remember seeing huge Piles of Bleached White Oyster Shells in that area and it wasn't just one pile the piles were scattered all over the area or wherever they could dispose of the shells.

When we last had our Guided Cruise to this area Hosted by Paul Hettinger who's family name still looms on the docks.. We passed and saw much of this lost History..

Enjoy the History Read....
 http://www.hiddennj.com/2011/12/only-slightly-clammy-towns-of-bivalve.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:14:56 am by Bugaru "J@Y" »

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 06:58:26 am »

That's fascinating, Jay!  Thanks for sharing!!  \LIKE=
Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 06:22:40 pm »

Thanks Jay.... still too many oysters for me.

1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1]   Go Up