SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Punch Buggy  (Read 27578 times)

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
Re: Punch Buggy
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 09:31:27 pm »

Guys, chill... 
 Hey What can I say. I guess being in the "Society" has it's advantages, but all-in-all I understand, and never thought that I'd be thrown into a stock class. Hey my cars a Bastard, full out Custom, powder coated pan off build, no bolt on stuff and too many years and hours of fabication to even think about recalling. If the judges can't see a modern day work of art then there be stuck in 36hp land forever. This is why I attend the Big Shows, NOPI etc where car building art is reconized, and truely appricated. Best of Show NOPI 2008, and that is against the really big dogs some of whom traveled 1000's of miles. That Porsch dude probably is just pissed because so many porsch owners are now converting there 911's to Subaru power.

What I feel badly for are many of our Club Members that should of won somthing but got Zip-ppppp

If you read the PunchBuggy Web page, it looks like it reads that there were approx 20 classes and three winners in each class. If I remember correctly I don't recall hearing anywhere near that many cars called out at awards time? The weather held out and we had a good time. Peace out..  Hey somebody wake Jack up.. stoned#

http://www.punchbuggyvwshow.com/show.html

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

scarecrow

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »

Wow, I find this all so depressing. A trophy has no meaning if you did not earn it. S**t if you take one just because your bro’s are the judges you might as well just go buy one for yourself. It’s a shame as the Atco show was so nice.

I went to the Flemming show in the spring, and you know what was cool about it, NO TROPHYS ! (they did have dash plaques though, I love dash plaques  (love )

I have no clue what it takes to put together a show. But even taking that into consideration….
Why can we put one together. Personally I am would be more than happy to kick in funds to make it happen. No I’m not rich but it means but it means that much to me to have show where all participants are truly welcome & appreciated for bringing their rides for us & spectators to enjoy.

In regards to awards, everyone gets a participation award. Best of  show etc. Peoples Choice only & strictly regulated for no cheating or favoritism.

In my experience SJVWC is the best there is. I would like to see us show the way to others how it should be done.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:24 pm »

Jay and guys,

I have to say that the real judges were the crowds around Louie all day. Now if the bone head in the porsche hat didn't notice then its his ( and clubs ) problem. Now how important are trophies? not very much. I have a gang of them but over the years the people I've met and the stories I've heard make the $6.00 trophies worthless. I ran into the "Uber people" early on with the Bradley. I pretty much stopped doing VW shows with the car several years ago because I was tired of some of the attitudes I got.("its not real he took it out of a box and bolted it to a pan" - or "mister you killed a good VW to build that horrible thing" - and my favorite 'You bought it like that! you should have put the VW body back on" ) Unfortunately theres lots of people who wouldn't know originality if they fell over it! When it comes to judging its really subjective and dependent on just what the judge sees. this crap goes on at all car shows not just VW.

I remember Punch Buggy back 10 or 12 years ago at that time the guy who owns "VW customs & restorations" in manassas VA. would come up with a team of guys and do all the judging for the show. these guys were independent and had no ax to grind or even favorites so if you got a trophy it was because your car deserved it. Very few shows have ever followed that formula.   

We build and drive our cars to please ourselves, trophies and awards are nice but its not the whole picture. Theres nothing better when somebody has a fit of nostalgia while checking out your car. The magic is that your ride can invoke a feeling, memory , or just a good experience in someone who identifies with your passions. No trophy can replace that and its sad how many people place value on just a trophy! If thats the only reason you have a "show car" then you are in the wrong hobby and should start thinking about taking up knitting or stained glass!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:36:08 am »

The only trophies that matter are the ones given out at the monthly  sjvwc.ico Dairy Queen Cruise...  P#3 

I agree that Jay's was the cream of the crop, so let those other guys take it uber serious; as usual we just have fun and enjoy the shade by the love bus,  (love

Next year we'll bring the grill and show them how it's done...  (-)

Marc stoned#

PS on a different buy similar note maybe we should put together a thread for planning a show, if that is still on the table, it might be good to get what everyone would want to see in a show, and a good mental dump now so we have the info, I don’t know about any of you but my mind is like a sieve.  Like now, my idea that I need to get out b4 I forget would be a free club sponsored hydration station by the tent, free ice water 4 everyone that wants it. All the club would need is the water, cups and ice(easier said than done I know), and a big  sjvwc.ico banner)...  Now we return you to your regularly scheduled rant
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:55:07 am by luvgroovesalad »
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

66-Ghia

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 04:25:47 am »

I wasn't there, so I "should" keep my big mouth shut. But I seem to remember what
Paul H. said about punch buggy and CJVW   -55]
I'm glad to hear you all had a good time. The only picture I didn't see was Ms. Punch Buggy  ???

I'm still feeling the love here at  sjvwc.ico   (love

Bud (the no show)

Bugaru "JAY"

• PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:20 am »

Hey any word on the Racers, they were still racing when most of us left. Did any of our Club Members win? Hopefully The "Society" of Idiots wasn't judging the races too?  m-d

Also any word on whoelse from our club may have won anything. I still think that they didn't award the amount of wins that were advertised. I realize that winning is not everything, but if your going to persent awards then be fair about the judging.   :icon_puke_l:

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:46 am »

Also any word on whoelse from our club may have won anything. I still think that they didn't award the amount of wins that were advertised.

not sure but I think John Long with the thing got a trophy and so did Frank with the vert.
I didn't hear of anybody else.

The "Society" of Idiots wasn't judging the races too?

Fortunately the only judge on that one was the "finish line" !

Hey I didn't see a "Miss Punch Buggy" wonder who won that one ? Miss piggy??
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Guys,

just a second thought, I hope I don't come across as trashing VW shows. Some of the best times I've had in this hobby has been at those shows, some of the best friends I've made also has been through the hobby. It just rubs me the wrong way when something that we should do for fun becomes much less. I've had crappy judging experiences at regular car shows also so the "Bone Headed Attitudes" aren't just found at VW shows but every club has some elements of such ( except us of course! ).
For me Sunday was a great time, with people I respect and identify with ( yes even you Jack! ) and it goes without saying I'll remember that as a good time. Trophies are nice but should never be a goal!

OK enough already!      rant
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:52:12 pm by njgt-1 »

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »

PS  I don’t know about any of you but my mind is like a sieve.  Like now, my idea that I need to get out b4 I forget would be a free club sponsored hydration station by the tent, free ice water 4 everyone that wants it. All the club would need is the water, cups and ice(easier said than done I know), and a big  sjvwc.ico banner)...  Now we return you to your regularly scheduled rant

s#r I REALLY, really like that idea  P#3 $61$ I can see it now  shocked Hay go over to the South Jersey Gang, they have free watter. Good one Marc!!! I will bring that up at the BODs meeting Thurs.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:29 pm »

BUT, would they let us do it? They might say your taking business away from the refreshment stand or the vendors??

RT 66 June 1, 2015

66-Ghia

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 07:29:27 pm »

This might be another one of my dumb questions   :icon_confused: but does anyone know how much they charge for vendors  ???

Bud
(and the almost ready to put on the road bus)

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:57 pm »

This might be another one of my dumb questions   :icon_confused: but does anyone know how much they charge for vendors  ???

Who is They?

Bud
(and the almost ready to put on the road bus)

wow*   BO** BO**

RT 66 June 1, 2015

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:41 pm »

BUT, would they let us do it? They might say your taking business away from the refreshment stand or the vendors??

IT'S EASIER TO APOLOGIZE THAN ASK FOR PERMISSION  !5!

We should be OK as long as we are not charging, and only giving water...
Same principal as going into a restaurant and asking for a glass of water the law says they are required to give it to you even is you are not buying anything.
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 09:19:14 pm »

Like now, my idea that I need to get out b4 I forget would be a free club sponsored hydration station by the tent, free ice water 4 everyone that wants it.

By next year I probably will have a water cooler that I won't be using, great idea!
Now if we can get Marc to smoke up a bunch of those ribs and that absolutely incredible sauce, well I think we could possibly take the place over with just the aroma of those puppies cooking! Damn! I'm getting hungry just thinking about the ribs! Cars & Great Food what else is there??

Ben Franklin

Bugaru "JAY"

• PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40:52 pm »

Cars & Great Food what else is there??

There's always Jacks POS...  shocked

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up