SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CNC Machined Goodies  (Read 21035 times)

braidmeister

Re: CNC Machined Goodies
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »

OK...back on topic. In the name of reality and economy, here's a rough idea I figured I'd throw out there. In the pic below, the larger part represents a machined frame that can get a vinyl print overlay to get all of the detail of the club script, flames (with whatever color depth you choose) as well as the VW logo. The frame will be the base for this applied print. I'm thinking that some type of plastic would be ideal given all the nooks and crannies down by the flames. (Aluminum is a pain in the arse to machine - it's time consuming on a CNC router) It would be nice if we could thermoform it...but I am fresh out of thermoforming equipment, although it *may* be possible to cast something in resin. For now, we'll stick to just a basic 2D frame with vinyl overlay print. Waddya think?

Of course, I don't have provisions for bolt holes etc in the drawing yet...

Thoughts? Ideas?

-Brady

braidmeister

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »

Oh...for those who are helping out with this little project, do a Google Image search and type in: "license plate frame"

Have a look thru a few pages & tell me which style you think would work best for a VW considering some of the comments that you guys made about some of them not fitting under the Bug's license plate hood. The pic shown above (based on Shawn's quick and dirty drawing) is probably a bit disproportionate at the top where the club script/name would go...Keep this in mind & ask if A) it has to be this large and B) is it going to get in the way...

-Brady

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 05:03:36 pm »

I've got a couple of old "custom" frames. If you want I'll bring them to the next meeting so you can get an idea of size & layout. Remember the frame can't cover any part of the plate. A few years ago the state was giving out tickets for this.

Also I don't do vinyl but I think I can work something out with my large Epson ink jet printer. I do the T-shirt transfers with that one and I've got it equipped to run with non-epson pigmented inks plus I have a laminator so with all this stuff I think I can come up with something that should look good and last.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »

Oh...for those who are helping out with this little project, do a Google Image search and type in: "license plate frame"

Dude...It's hardly worth the effort...

$25...

BTW Baja's don't have clearance issues
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:54:30 pm by Bahaha »
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

I envisioned the top part being engraved and attached not machined in place

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

braidmeister

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »

Dude...It's hardly worth the effort...

$25...

Which is probably why the club doesn't have custom plate frames...$25 might be too steep for many of the members & the time, effort & $$$ that I would spend coming up with a custom design would far exceed $25/ea. Not saying that I would charge anyone anything, but still - It'll look sharper than the tropical hut barbie/Panzer plate you've got picked out  :rolleyes:

So what's the call? Scrap the idea? I've got LOTS of stuff that I could be doing instead of taking this on...but it would have been nice for us to have something that you just can't buy online. It would make our club unique from other clubs that just buy crap out of a catalog.

Bob,
I have access to a digital vinyl print that would be suitable for outdoor products such as this. A laminated inkjet print probably won't hold up very well.

It seems that there are different ideas on what club members would want. Again - clarification AND a common vision please.

-Brady

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 06:23:26 pm »

Jim, why don't you take a picture of the the one you made, thats what I would like to have cut into a chunk of Aluminum, plastic whatever.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »

A laminated inkjet print probably won't hold up very well.

Pigmented inks are solvent based not water based like most home printers. I do the shirts with them and they are totally water proof and can be washed without fading or running.
But if your vinyl is UV and fade resistant then it might be a good deal.

As far as a frame you are right, we can buy all the frames we need and "decorate" them. I was thinking more like a "topper" or in this case something attached to the bottom of the plate. When we did the logo a couple of years ago I added an oval circle so it looks like a "D" plate. Something on that line or even an actual D plate might not be bad looking, if it could be done in a relief. I'm tied up this week but if I get a chance I can sketch out what I'm thinking about.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 06:54:28 pm »

Ya know Bob might have it... A 3D logo in an oval on a mount bracket or screwed to the car. No worries about clearance

Like a cross between this

and this

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:57 pm »

Ya know Bob might have it... A 3D logo in an oval on a mount bracket or screwed to the car. No worries about clearance

Exactly! you could pin that sucker anyplace !

Ben Franklin

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 07:44:18 pm »

Plate toppers

why not the same style with our logo?

South Jersey across the top and Volkswagen club across the bottom. The cross can stay and if the flames aren't do able- so be it.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 07:48:14 pm »

I dont like the full frame. Looks like something you could get at Berlin Flea Market.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

braidmeister

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 07:52:23 pm »

John,
Will those plate toppers fit on a late model Beetle in the stock location?

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53:42 pm »

WOW! you guys have been busy. I left fo 10 mins to throw thoughts into an image and badda-bing! Cool stuff. Heres my crude rendering:

Sorry this one distorted

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »

Not sure. Does anyone with a late model bug own a ruler and can go out to their car for a minute?

Personnaly, I say screw the late models ;D

You could always put it on the front plate.  I'd sacrifice location just for the coolness factor.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up