SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CNC Machined Goodies  (Read 20998 times)

braidmeister

CNC Machined Goodies
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:55 pm »

I just wanted to let club members know that I have a 4-axis CNC laser digitizer/scanner as well as a 3-axis CNC router. In case you are unable to visualize what that means exactly - It is possible for me to take a 3D model of a bug or bus and machine it as a relief (look at a quarter...Washington's head is in relief form) in number of materials in nearly any scale. I can route aluminum to a certain degree, but it will depend on the part. I have an old Bridgeport BOSS that I will complete retrofitting this winter for cutting some of the heavier materials like steel...but I'm not setup for machining anything that would go INSIDE your engine. Here's my website to give you a small idea of what I do -> www.ibild.com

So...If you need something made for your bug, bus, T3, or garage give me a shout. (This includes the Club and any signs or props you may need) You buy the material & get to sand & paint it. If you need panels, cabinets etc for your van, this is the way to do it. You'll have to provide me with dimensions and designs. If you want a NICE display for your show car, I can also engrave nearly any material. I mention all of this because none of our cars are getting any younger & parts are not always available. Some of these obsolete parts can be fabricated, scanned & molded/casted etc, but not all, so it will depend on what you need. Let me just say that if you can buy what you need online, then I probably won't make it for you.

I also do steel fabrication to a limited degree. I sold my CNC Plasma cutter, but have the typical grinders, 14" chop,  gifsawsall 175A MIG & TIG  weldface ...So if you need a custom bracket or part like that made, give me a shout. I figured I'd just put this 'out there' in case there is a need. This is part of what I do for a living...so don't go abusin' me on my down time  :whip:  :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin:

So...anyway, if there is interest, give me a shout.

-Brady

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
Re: CNC Machined Goodies
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:02 pm »

WoW  shocked... Will I need some of this stuff, now all I need to do is get my brain working. Thanks for the info, now let me think of some brain farts and what I'll need done for my next projects ??????????

Thanks for the info.
 Jay  vwlogo

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:40 pm »

Great looking stuff Brady!!
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:00:45 pm »

Brady:

We have often discussed having made 'Tag Toppers' with our club logo. Like the ones on
the Speed Channel's "Living The Low LIfe"  sjvwc.ico

Is that a possiblility?

jt

scarecrow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:37:21 am »

P#3
Brady:

We have often discussed having made 'Tag Toppers' with our club logo. Like the ones on
the Speed Channel's "Living The Low LIfe"  sjvwc.ico

Is that a possiblility?

jt
plate toopers are cool $61$ would be more than willing to pay for one... actually I think plate toppers that mount under the plate would be better. Won't interfer with front hood or rear license plate light
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:44:28 am by scarecrow »

braidmeister

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

If you Google "custom license plate holder", a myriad of results will show that you can easily buy them in low quantities for under $25ea.

The toppers are interesting & something that we could do without too much difficulty. I'll need some kind of design. Were you thinking of just using the club logo, or something else? If one of you guys (Bob) has vector artwork for the club logo (EPS, AI, DXF) - send it on over...OR send me a sketch or the concept you are looking to do.

Do we have a club mascot or something other than just a text based logo? If we did, I can make it in relief and we'd have a 3D logo topper of sorts.

-Brady

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:10:34 pm »

Brady,

I think we talked about this before. It would be great to have you make one as a model and then find somebody who does sand casting and have them made the finished piece out of aluminum. I think your method of copying something could give great detail to a relief image. Just an idea.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

braidmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 01:13:46 pm »

Well...sniff around your VW toy collection  & see if you can dig up something appropriate...Or send me a sketch/drawing of what you envision. The more, the better.

-Brady

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 01:46:48 pm »

I already have it done in Corel Draw. Send me a PM with your email address
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

braidmeister

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:35:05 pm »

Check out my new avatar...It is actually a shrunken down screenshot of a 3D relief model of a '67 Beetle I made today  :icon_thumleft:

I went to Columbus market on Sunday and there was a guy there selling model cars. I asked if he had one of an older Beetle & he said that some kid broke half the bumper off of a '67 last week...So I bought it in otherwise perfect condition for $10!  P#3

I took the model and set it on the laser scanner so that the driver's side was laying on the table, then tilted it up about 20° - then 'squashed' the whole thing from 3.75" to about 0.75" - It'll make a snazzy carving on something...  184  ...Beetle napkin holder perhaps?  stoned#

Question: Think big...as in props for the club...What do we need/want? I know you guys just got a super-deluxe portable podium...Do we need something else?

-Brady
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:22:01 pm by braidmeister »

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:09 am »

For most of the Beetle drivers, I agree that a Tag Bottom may fit the bill better. If it is something we would have to submit to be made. Just invert the logo in the top so when you flip it around it's on the bottom!
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

braidmeister

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:28:40 am »

Send me a rough sketch as to what you envision. My email is listed under my avatar.

-Brady

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:52:56 pm »

Brady,

do you know a good and cheap foundery that can sand cast aluminum ?
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:33:42 pm »

Brady,

do you know a good and cheap foundery that can sand cast aluminum ?

LoL   You used Good and Cheap in the same sentence
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

braidmeister

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Good AND Cheap?  ???

No actually I don't...but wish that I did. I have been thinking about investing in some spin-casting equipment for the business. It does a nice job on smaller zinc alloy parts with strengths equal or exceeding aluminum die cast parts. Still on the fence about it - but it would be one way to go about producing an entire frame with or without the 'topper' built in.

I get the impression that some of you want a topper, and others want a frame...It makes no difference to me, but I DO need a sketch or something to work from before I can do anything...  &m&

-Brady
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up