SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to restore 72 Super Beetle  (Read 4190 times)

winniebug2build

Want to restore 72 Super Beetle
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:59:40 am »

I just got my hands on a 72 Super Beetle and I want to do a ground up restore.  I'm pretty handy and crazy enough to try this, but I seem to be having trouble finding good detailed parts diagrams and lists. I've got the Bentley Official Service Manual, Super Beetle Handbook, Haynes Restoration Manual and a couple of DVDs from bugme.com.  None of these seem to identify all the little parts and pieces.  Is there something more around??

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Re: Want to restore 72 Super Beetle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:21:49 am »

Sometimes the suppliers have a good diagram showing parts within certian areas of the car. Check them out. There are some links at the top of the page.
Mike
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

winniebug2build

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:35:45 am »

Thanks Mike.  I'm busy with Honey DO List right now.  As soon as I free up again I'll check em out.
Gerry

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:50:53 pm »

You might want to also start collecting parts catalogs- Mid America comes to mind/ Wolfsburg West but they specialize in older bugs. Most of them will send you free catalogs, just request one on their web sites
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:09 pm »

Hi Gerry, try www.bfyobsoleteparts.com for exploded views and detailed parts lists. Navigation within the site at times is a little tricky for me but I have found the site very useful. Have ordered  used parts from these folks which were shipped fast and the quality was good. My pc crashed a few days ago, so I lost all of my vw bookmarks. If I recover them I may have some more sites for you to check out.  I also have a 72 super and am busy trying to get it on the road. I will try to get some detail pics of various vws in different stages of construction posted. The pics helped me understand how the cars are put together.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 04:42:11 pm »

Like Mike said click on th links button and you should find anything. If that don't help post a photo of or ask here.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:07:36 pm »

I just got my hands on a 72 Super Beetle and I want to do a ground up restore.  I'm pretty handy and crazy enough to try this, but I seem to be having trouble finding good detailed parts diagrams and lists. I've got the Bentley Official Service Manual, Super Beetle Handbook, Haynes Restoration Manual and a couple of DVDs from bugme.com.  None of these seem to identify all the little parts and pieces.  Is there something more around??

Hey winnie,

I've had my 72 super since 94' and when you get them sorted out they are a great running and handling car. My car is the best handling bug I've had and theres tons of stuff around for them. You're on the right track with the Bentley manual and as has been already said parts are easy to come by and theres even some after market stuff that can improve the handling & suspension like urethane bushing kits and some of the modified struts. Don't be afraid to ask questions on these boards and if you can try to make our meetings, lots of good tech stuff plus a friendly crew of VW nuts!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up