SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS AT MEETINGS  (Read 4069 times)

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS AT MEETINGS
« on: July 27, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »

We discussed this at our last meeting.

It has always been our aspiration that the SJVWC meetings should be informative as well as entertaining. One of our goals is education, in that we have done technical sessions with mostly hands on seminars. In the past years we have done such presentations as: valve adjustment, points settings, Winterizing, turbo-charging, electrical troubleshooting, timing, Inside the tunnel, etc, etc. And we have done some more than once. Because these events tend to drag on we have added them after the meeting was adjourned and this seems to work well.

So rather than repeat the same old- same old or do something that no one is interested in, booHoo*
 we are calling for you the club members (that is those who come to the meetings) to suggest a topic, and hopefully we can use actual learning props.

You can post suggestions on the web, at the meeting or just corner a BOD member.  .///

THANKS

jt

rich67vw

Re: TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS AT MEETINGS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:08 pm »

I'm trying to bring my Glo-Dub for Window Seal Installation 101 for this upcoming meeting.  I'll see how I make it back from weds night at the Blackwood firehouse.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:13:40 am »

Joe,

I think the tech presentations are an important part of the meetings. If you can remember waaaay back, I did the first one on carb rebuilds at something like the clubs second meeting.

To a new member or VW owner the tech presentations are very valuable and sometimes just the basics can account for keeping or getting a car on the road. At the very least a new owner will have enough knowledge to ask intelligent questions when taking a car to a repair shop. ( ask Mike! )

Since we are getting lots of bussess lets think about "bus only" tech areas ( sorry John!  sqBk ). Or we've never done fuel injection basics yet, this could cover both busses and T-3s. I like rich 67 VWs idea about window glass since this is something every VW owner will run into sooner or later.

Transaxils are another area we've never covered. Remember the "nose cone" debacle at Jacks house when we were working on Marcs Baja? I never touched a trans until then so there must be a dozen tricks when installing one plus installing and adjusting the cable. Also don't forget CV joints...

as always.... 2CENTS
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Mikecoast

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:07:41 am »

Someone said my name?

I have learned ALL of my VW knowledge thanks to the club, it's members & tech sessions. Auto glass installation is something that I would like to learn about. I've been told it's easy ... for someone who's done it.

The tech session are a good idea that should continue. With that said ... I don't think we need a tech session every meeting. As needed as requested would be OK by me. As Joe T has asked ... make a suggestion and our crack team will do our best to provide good information.

Just my opinion ...

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:30:17 pm »

What about a tech session on make shift things to help you get home. Like driving without a clutch cable, fixing a broken accelerator cable things like that just so you can make it to a garage or a safer location.
Just a thought.

I'd say changing trans fluid but that is fairly self explanatory.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

66-Ghia

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »

OFF TOPIC, don't worry  LAUGH@ John about the Birthday cup cake (not that you were)
But they moved EVERYTHING up for Joan's operation, her bone scan is at 6pm Monday
night (meeting night) My 78 Birthday is August 6th and the family is having a party here this Staturday Aug.1. Of course Heather is getting me a Pep Boys gift card, Chris and Family a Home Depot card , Holly, Ray and Jake are going to do the designs on the bus (after I have the metal fixed and windsheild replaced, I just got the rubber from Bug Stuff) And Ron, a friend is going to strip the 75 bus of all the goodies  BO**
All of this depends on how things go with Joan

Thanks all, for you good wishes etc.

Bud  (love

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

I'm trying to bring my Glo-Dub for Window Seal Installation 101 for this upcoming meeting.  I'll see how I make it back from weds night at the Blackwood firehouse.

Rich:

That would be great!!!  P#3   BO**

As of now don't have a technical presentation sceduled for Monday's meeting (August 3).

Our traveling bodyshop supplier "Bret" who was scheduled for this Monday is still in Georgia, attending to his late brothers Estate.

Thanks

jt

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:34:47 pm »

Our traveling bodyshop supplier "Bret" who was scheduled for this Monday is still in Georgia, attending to his late brothers Estate.

Personally, I think we should give up on these guys. I think for the past 5 meetings we've been waiting for them to show up... and they didn't. Did we forget we have an awesome body shop guy in the club? Need proof check bugs2much's car. I don't want to pee on peoples corn flakes I just get annoyed when we expect something and it doesn't happen.

*END RANT*
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

VWPANZER1

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:53:51 pm »

Personally, I think we should give up on these guys. I think for the past 5 meetings we've been waiting for them to show up... and they didn't. Did we forget we have an awesome body shop guy in the club? Need proof check bugs2much's car. I don't want to pee on peoples corn flakes I just get annoyed when we expect something and it doesn't happen.

*END RANT*

I don't understand what you're saying?

Bret has made two meetings. The first was with John the paint guy and that was very informative. The last time, two meetings ago, he showed up with his truck and members did get to buy stuff.

Bret is not a bodyshop guy. He sells bodyshop tools, paint primer, snadpaper, adhesives etc, etc. he's not competing with Frank, in fact he even sells his stuff to Frank at his shop.

Brett has has numerious physical problems and then his brother dies unexpectently. He's doing us a favor by showing up after a long hard day on the road.

jt

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:24:00 pm »

My apologies, I didn't know he had physical problems and a death in the family.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:50:33 pm »

A few things:

1)  I understand tech things have been reviewed ( and there are more - but seems now, or later there may be  a time when it is difficult to find out what to teach on next, cause so many topics have been done before)

2)  As said already, we are getting more and more people (NEW)in the club, and to meetings

Combining 1 & 2 above, it may be good to do repeat tech talks at some time for people who are new to the vw, additionally, it could be a refresher talk to someone who has already heard it, .......9 months ago... - or a member who missed that particluar meeting  888

In a prior meeting, could it be determined how many people would be interested in hearing about a certain topic?
If there is a good* interest, that can be done. *= whatever number that means...

As said before, it would be good for people to give ideas as to a new tech talk, mabye new topics could be voted on for interest?

Off the wall idea,  - be cool to have a teaching car that could be worked on by members, ( of course, the big prob is the car would have to reside somewhrere....) "Today, after the meeting, we'll be going to the teaching car and learn how to remove a steering box -  ....front end...torsion bars, ....rear torsion bar adjustment...putting on disc brakes...., bake job, pull an engine....

One can dream...

M

1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

VWPANZER1

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:36:39 pm »

Matt:

I love your  idea!

But as you pointed it might be impractical.

We would need a donor car. -Not too hard.

And we would have to store it somewhere - very hard

and we would have to tow it to the meeting assuming it's not running or titled.- Again very hard.

All ideas are welcome,

jt

rich67vw

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »

Based on some other comments in a coupla threads, hands on tech presentations before or after meetings should be:

- quick and done within an hour or so to get the most attendence

- Not messy

- common topics of interest

As an example, if I'm reading another post correctly about carbs, maybe a quick presentation on tuning a simple carb would be a good one.  Idle speed, mixture, choke test, vacumn advance test, a test for that stupid idle bypass soleniod, timing, etc. all could be done in Taylors parking lot with a flashlight, flat blade screwdriver, a dwell/tach, or for some of us old schoolers, just a good ear.

Winner who guesses closest idle speed by ear to the tach when all is said and done could win a brand spanking new
container of hand cleaner  LAUGH@

I defer to you guys...

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:51 pm »

win a brand spanking new
container of hand cleaner  laugh

Hey up the ante to a can of WD-40 and I'm in!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up