SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 179   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your VW today?  (Read 744690 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Re: What did you do to your VW today?
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2009, 11:47:30 pm »

Found out why I was stalling... chock wasn't opening, but now I have a flat spot and my gen light flickers at a light even though there is plenty of oil. Might try bumping the idle up a quarter of a turn. I can deal with the flat spot it's better than stalling out every time I push in the clutch!
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2009, 02:19:33 pm »

Do you expect the Gen light to com on solid if the oil gets low?
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2009, 02:17:03 am »

Oh wait I ment my oil light flickers.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2009, 04:57:39 pm »

This was from tuesday, I swapped the wires on my tail lights, since the parking was very bright and the brakes dull...  When the parking was on you could not tell I had the brakes on, other than the third brake light I put in.
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

mdenafo

« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2009, 09:34:41 am »

Took my buggy for its final ride for the season before I winterizer it. Drove for about 45mins and I broke down.  &m& The battery died on me but the battery is only 6 months old ???  Thinking it maybe the generator anyone have any suggestions for testing it out?

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2009, 11:04:34 am »

I'm guessing you don't have a warning light hooked up... when you figure out what's wrong with it, talk to a buggy guy. If for some reason your generator stopped working like when your belt snaps and your engine is still going, you could fry your motor. If the generator isn't spinning your not cooling your engine. Lucky for you this wasn't the case. Talk to the 3 stooges. Joe T. Jack Bob... and that guy with the Squareback is helpful too when he's not busy pulling his motor.
 LAUGH@     (love

But like I said, warning light at least the oil preasure and generator/altenator lights are a MUST for VW. Tach, oil temp, etc are IMO optional.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

rockdog2877

« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2009, 11:15:04 am »

I'm guessing you don't have a warning light hooked up... when you figure out what's wrong with it, talk to a buggy guy. If for some reason your generator stopped working like when your belt snaps and your engine is still going, you could fry your motor. If the generator isn't spinning your not cooling your engine. Lucky for you this wasn't the case. Talk to the 3 stooges. Joe T. Jack Bob... and that guy with the Squareback is helpful too when he's not busy pulling his motor.
 LAUGH@     (love

But like I said, warning light at least the oil preasure and generator/altenator lights are a MUST for VW. Tach, oil temp, etc are IMO optional.

you have to see what kind of set up he has going, what type of engine, ect.
maybe his warning light is bad,
the first question is what books does he have for help.
if the car was running than it would be the regulator/ generator.
the idiots guide/ Bentley are good for giving ideas how to trouble shoot.

mdenafo

« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:33 am »

Yeah, still trying to figure out my set up... I believe it is a 1500 single port. But the buggy was aquired from a relative with no information and there is no engine number on it. Here is a break down of what happened... Took it for a ride, came back to grab a hat (Not top + no hair = cold  888 ) When I went to start it again the battery needed a jump, just thought I left the lights on or something. Started right up with a jump. Ran it for about 45mins and noticed the volts on the voltmeter had dropped. It wasn't reading anything. Started to putt putt, like it was going to stall. Finally stalled. No power. I grabbed my little battery jump pack and hooked it up let it juice up and it started up I left the battery jumper on while I drove it back to my garage (luckily I was right down the street). I don't think its a bad battery because the battery is only 6months old and the buggy has only had about 50 miles put on it with the new battery. I am looking into other possible causes. Any ideas??

BTW- I don't have a warning light, but I do have an oil pressure (What should the oil pressure be at while driving?), tach and voltmeter on it.

rockdog2877

« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »

well you have a step better than a warning light.
 the warning light was just a simple bulb (green/red), when it was on you had trouble.
what was the volt meter reading while it was running?
it can only be three things
battery,
regulator,
generator
you have to isolate which one/two it might be.
it could be loose belt, bad brushes on the generator, or a wire  came loose.

mdenafo

« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:58 pm »

When it was running well it read like 12.5v and when it was starting to putt out it was like half that and then dropped to zero. I am going to get the battery checked this week and start there.

I picked up the idiot guide a little while back, very helpful book especially since I have no prior experience! I also have the Haynes guide and a high performance guide (not sure which one off hand).

rockdog2877

« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:46 pm »

allways take your time checking everything over before you start replacing parts.
take your time and look everything over, a loose wire is easy to miss, or loose belt.
do you know what the brushes on the generator look like?
does the engine move when you turn the belt?

mdenafo

« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2009, 12:48:34 pm »

No, I don't know what they look like but I just googled generator brushes and found a pretty good step by step in replacing them if I need to. (http://www.reluctantmechanic.com/step-by-step/change_generator_brushes.php).

Not sure what you mean when you ask if the engine moves? If I turn the belt by hand, then yes the pistons move.

rockdog2877

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »

you have to do a step by step process of finding where the fault  is. the idiot guide can help, but in a way might be hard, due to your non"stock"set up. I prefer the Bentley guide myself, I haven't used the haynes, but haven't heard many good things about it.

mdenafo

« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2009, 02:05:45 pm »

Thanks for the helpful insight rockdog. Much appreciated!

rockdog2877

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

Thanks for the helpful insight rockdog. Much appreciated!
it aint over till the fat valve sings!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 179   Go Up