SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Beetle in a father's Eyes  (Read 3030 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
A Beetle in a father's Eyes
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

So, at first my dad looked at Bridgette and it wasn't good.

Didn't start.

When it ran, it was loud, running rough.

Week later

Starts up, engine is quiet because I got the gaskets for the leaky exhaust, dad is impressed.

Dad's first drive, it's slow, no power, shifting to early,

4 Days later

It doesn't really drive that bad.
Stearing is loose

I see how Bridgette is effecting my dad, he's asking me now if we are working on it this week.

Greg + Dad + Bridgette = Perfect Trio

Dad made it to the repair shop ok, the guy is going to adjust the valves, do the timing, and the carb, tighten up the stearing for 65 bucks.

Hopefully we will have a new Bridgette for the parade on Sunday.

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Re: A Beetle in a father's Eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:26:41 pm »

Greg,

good story.
Many years ago ( more than I care to remember ) I came home with a VW bus. ( yes this was back in the 70's and I was your standard garden variety hippy ) My Dad took one look and told me I was crazy. He didn't understand the appeal of driving something that looked like a loaf of bread! A few times he needed me to drive him somewhere and after a while I think the bus kind of grew on him. A few years later he went shopping for a second car, something used and not too expensive. We went to look at a 69' square back and wound up buying it. The car wasn't in bad shape but it needed brakes and a few other small things so I was elected the designated VW mechanic. A couple of weekends and with my Dad as a helper we got the car in good shape. He kept that car for almost another 8 years and always said how that was his favorite car and felt bad when it was time to let it go.

Hes been gone now for quite a few years but I can tell you some of my best memories are working on that car with him.... I still have the cheapo set of metric sockets I gave him one year for Christmas, they are in my bug right now, sort of a "good luck" charm.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:24 pm »

Ha ha that is a good story! My dad own a Fairmount M-19 *I think this is the right model*  Railroad service vehical. I've been trying to get him back into since the buddy who was working on it with him is tough to get motivated. Hopefully this father son time will spark interest in his project.

Man that cheap set of metrics held up this long? The are problably much better than the metric set I bought from Pep Boys for 30 bucks!

-Greg-
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:30:54 pm »

Greg, soon he will be looking for his own bug :)

My dad is the reason Im into cars, unfortunately the mechanical thing seems to skip generations in my family, my grandad is a great mechanic and I hold my own but my dad never learned.

Still through the years we played with alot of classics (I remember when my dad had a 64 bug as a DD but that was in the 70s) He would drive them and show them and then come home and give me the list of things that werent working right.  We rarely worked together on the car but there was still a sense of togetherness about it.

I have only 2 cars I regret selling (and Ive sold alot of cars), and one of them was the last classic (54 Chrysler New Yorker hemi) that my dad and I worked on together.  I sold it at a very messed up time in my life when he and I were on very bad terms and I wish every day I had it back.

The bottom line I guess is as most of us find out, we think we are car guys because of the cars, but at the end of the day, its all just metal and wires, its the relationships we build because of the cars that make the hobby so special.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:40:54 pm »

=-) Yeah, it's nice having some time spent with dad. We are also both musicans so ocasionally we play music togather in church and at tubachristmas' and the local German Band. My grandfather wasn't very big into cars, I know he drove them but I don't think he wanted to come home and tinker around with it to see how fast he could get it to go. My uncle on the other hand loved his trucks, he and my father use to work on trucks togather all the time. So I think my dad as much as he probably though me buying a bug at this time in my life was a bad idea, somewhere inside he felt that this is proabably a good thing for us.

Cheers to our fathers!

<Greg>
<Bridegette>
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

kiko

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:56:36 pm »

jthw8  I saw on craigslist a great deal in glenmoore pa on a 64 bug check it out.  I'd love to grab it but Have no room for it I'd like to see someone in here get ahold of it    sale-473199879@craigslist.org 

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:11:21 pm »

jthw8  I saw on craigslist a great deal in glenmoore pa on a 64 bug check it out.  I'd love to grab it but Have no room for it I'd like to see someone in here get ahold of it    sale-473199879@craigslist.org 

aaargh....you are killing me.  If I hadnt just bought the 72 super and the rabbit....did I mention Im the resident car ho around here?  And I have 9 cars at the house currently...

Still...if my Neon sells tomorrow (got some buyers coming) and I eat ramen for lunch for a few weeks....yeah, I could swing it.....

Found the ad if anyone else is interested. Looks like a screaming good deal http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/473199879.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up