SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace- Meeting Tonight July 6  (Read 10761 times)

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD

There have been some heated discussions about this club recently, especially in the last week.

Tonight's meeting will be held town hall style. Everyone will have a chance to be heard.

I would appreciate hearing from the members, what we're doing right and what we're doing wrong

A message to those who believe we're doing it all wrong:
There is an election coming up and in the old days (Before Political Correctness) we'd say its "Put up or Shut up" time.
At tonights meeting Yucel Kuday our Election Committee Chairman will announce that nominations are open. If you want to run for office, to make a difference in how this club is run, then have someone nominate you (or ask Yucel to do it). This is your opportunity to give back to the SJVWC and make the club better.

Tonight we define a clear path for SJVWC's future

Shawn
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

rich67vw

Re: Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace- Meeting Tonight July 6
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:22 am »

Here is my input:

Whats right:
The Club allows for its members to voluntarily participate in many events or develop their own. These include air raids, dub n dine, breakfast with the beetles, old retired breakfast at the IHOP, picnic, holiday party, monthly meetings, part swaps, camping.

There are few rules

Cheap dues

Great logo

What can be improved

Eliminate yearly elections and change to three year. Too much effort required to perform.

Increase community partcipation- events like parades and charity walks get the word out in our communities, so those that have VW's may join

Calendar of events is scattered with " throw something against the wall and hope somebody shows up" approach.  Choose a car event a month and who ever shows up, fine, if it bombs, so be it- move on to the next months event.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:49:26 am by MugMan (Rich) »

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:01 am »

Rather than retype it all, I agree with most of what Muggy said.

I think three years is a year too long.
Have a focused monthly car event, but leave the rest on the calendar for those that want more.
if you're going to a show announce it. Maybe get one, two or three others to go with you. A couple, three cars lined up with SJVWC decals in the windows makes a strong statement.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:51:44 am »

What Muggie said.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:21:14 am »

I have to teach Richard how to do this:

The Club allows for its members to voluntarily participate in many events or develop their own. These include air raids, dub n dine, breakfast with the beetles, old retired breakfast at the IHOP, picnic, holiday party, monthly meetings, part swaps, camping.

Yes...Everything we do on a regular basis... But you have to show up, to participate

What can be improved

Eliminate yearly elections and change to three year. Too much effort required to perform.

Interesting...You put a bug in my garage??? We'll be talking about that tonight

Here is my input:

Whats right:

There are few rules

Cheap dues

Great logo

What can be improved
Increase community partcipation- events like parades and charity walks get the word out in our communities, so those that have VW's may join

Agreed. Our seasoned members  old-\ have not been feeding us the events the way they used to.So we have to find a new way to learn of these events and arrange for participation

Calendar of events is scattered with " throw something against the wall and hope somebody shows up" approach.  Choose a car event a month and who ever shows up, fine, if it bombs, so be it- move on to the next months event.

Have a focused monthly car event, but leave the rest on the calendar for those that want more.

Great minds think alike!

(that last one, the quote-in-quote) is tricky Richard  YoDa
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »

I disagree with Everything Muggy said.  -rofl\ Whats he know? stirpot.

I think we should have Longer terms 

have a new offgice, "King"
 f(bug-
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

I think what I need to do with the calendar is go to the Board meeting with a list of the shows coming up and then decide with the board as to which shows the club endorses. Then we can focus on getting as many members to those shows.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
  • 1974 Tintop with a nice rack
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »

I agree that 1 year elected offices seems like too short of a term.
I feel like I just got used to everyone being where they are and it's already time to think about new people.
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

Ant (Pop's Garage)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »

I think what I need to do with the calendar is go to the Board meeting with a list of the shows coming up and then decide with the board as to which shows the club endorses. Then we can focus on getting as many members to those shows.

THANK YOU

vwnutt

• PLATINUM Member
    • DOTB
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »

I mentioned something along these lines a while back,  we should make one cruise and/or one show per year mandatory, as voted on my the members at the start of the year.
You may not have a date but as of now we all know approx. when the events are held. ie flanders, vanagons in the valley, granny grosses, dubs etc.
The members all vote and they decide, this way no one can bitch. Plus it makes it less likely someone doesn't go because no one wants to be the only member not there
OF course....

If your going to decide to do it on a month by month basis your gonna need to do it at least 2 months in advance AND you might want to allow board members to nominate a proxy if they cannot make the meeting.
I can't tell you how disappointing it is to be told you can't vote because enough people didn't show up.

How many Marks are there?!?!

rich67vw

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:11:52 pm »

My additional thoughts

I'm not into rules, like making things mandatory. More rules, the more folks may find things objectionable and then offer counter rules. Forcing folks to do something, whether it be a car show, parade, camping, tie-dying a shirt or eating ice cream may have people who don't want to be there and may just decide to withdraw from the club. Because rules are created, there would also have to be penalties for rule violations - Does the Club want to discourage members who have no interest in participating in a rule based activity such as an Air Raid, not camping at Flanders, not going buying a decal, not going to a car show, not going to a Thai place for Dub N Dine, etc?   

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:20:11 pm by MugMan (Rich) »

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

In my Option I believe that in someways if lax, or no Rules has contributed to a loose club.  soapbox=

Meaning that sometimes an organization without solid rules, and a good foundation crumbles and things no longer are held together.   

I do know that the original Founding Farters of this club had the best intentions.

I also know that many of us tried to make things better and pulled for unity, but too often were hit with wine'ers who no mater how much we tried some always wanted to swim against the flow.

Perhaps a better word then rules, may be Regulations or structure. For if everyone's pulling in different directions we'll not pulling this club together but rather separation of one's beliefs.

The club does have a charter and those that spent there hard erned efforts should be respected for doing so.

Hey, It is an organized Club, and we really need to Pull This Club Together!  skid))   

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:09:33 pm »

I don't see their doom and gloom that you see Muggy, I see a few members unhappy but with nothing to add to fix their unhappiness, just broad statements.

We have a lot of different personalities and it should be up to them to find others in the club that want to do the things they want to do and talk it up on the forums and do what they want to do.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:17 pm »

I have to teach Richard how to do this:...

...(that last one, the quote-in-quote) is tricky Richard  YoDa
mo-on

I don't think you can make one specific show mandatory  Too many different interests. Perhaps each member has to attend one club function per year, their choice. Some folks may not be into shows but love attending other club functions.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 06:26:49 pm »

Not a fan of bunches of rules. Too much like work.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up