SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus for sale  (Read 13308 times)

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
  • 1974 Tintop with a nice rack
Bus for sale
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:16:52 am »

Mine. Anybody interested?
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Bus for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:51:39 am »

Why u sellin  4thinking6
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:29:54 am »

I want to go a different, seemingly cheaper route that I think might better fit our life. I think this bus was more than I could handle or afford. I think someone else would be happier with it than me.
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:00:20 pm »

Get a beetle
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

rich67vw

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 08:49:15 am »

I want to go a different, seemingly cheaper route that I think might better fit our life. I think this bus was more than I could handle or afford. I think someone else would be happier with it than me.
Anthony, you may want to post this over on the Fakebook Aircooled Hooligans site for de,md, and south Jersey. its a very active site and you may get a quick sale  Good Luck!

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:22 am »

Here's where I'm at right now. I know very little about head work.
I don't know if it's worth the $400 for two rebuilt 1.8 heads from Bus Depot.
I don't know how much it costs to have a head rebuilt. I don't know what makes a head rebuildable or unrebuildable, so I don't know if mine are rebuildable, and if they are would it cost less than $400 bucks?
And if so who do I take them to?

I also am terrible at assessing value. With one valve cover off I can't imagine the bus is worth more than $1500 at least not to me.
So it would seem like it would be worth doing something to the heads to make it work. Or do I just put it back together and leave it as is with a dead cylinder?
I don't know how much it's worth working, however I am sure it is a much easier sell if it starts and runs and drives good.

At the moment with the weather I have very little motivation to pull the engine out again.
So I guess it was a long shot, but I was hoping someone that has seen the bus would want it as is.

I will have a much clearer head moneywise in a month or two, so I probably won't touch it till then... or more than likely spring.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:05:39 am by grungeant (Anthony) »
Robert Pirsig

rich67vw

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 12:48:39 pm »

your bus is worth at least 3k dont take less than that if you decide to definetly sell it Maybe just park it and leave it until the spring to either sell or fix

dawelder

• GOLD Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:00:52 am »

any pictures? I may be interested

Ant (Pop's Garage)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:06:25 am »

1500 I'll come get it?

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:19:44 am »

Robert Pirsig

rich67vw

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

How about the club having an air raid to help you get it going in the spring ?

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 12:57:19 pm »

I don't know. It's kind of a mix of money, and fear of the unknown, and possibly a belief that I am just bad luck or this bus hates me.
I have babied this thing so much, and other VW's that I didn't care about I beat the crap out of and they never broke. The guy that built the engine said it sounds like I overheated it. I really don't see how being October was colder than it is now, but I don't have a CHT, so I don't know.

That being said is any rebuilt 40+ year old head just going to be junk in 2500 miles?
And if so should I just throw the cheapest heads I can get on there and get rid of it before it breaks again?
Or should I get the AMC heads on a credit card and keep the bus?
And the fact that engine #1 had a knock right out of the box, and engine #2 didn't make it to it's second oil change it makes me wonder if there could be other stuff that is not up to par inside so it just gives me a bad feeling about spending alot of money on heads.

The other thing too the transmission works good, but leaks oil, and has a slight whining noise at idle that goes away when I step on the clutch.
So if I keep it it would be dumb not to pull the transmission and have it rebuilt.
The only time I pulled a transmission was in a shop with a lift and it went in and out with the engine. So I don't know if my garage is even suitable to get the transmission out too.

And then there's rust. My bus seems like it's at a point where if I act now I can save it, but I don't know how, so I don't know how much time or money. If money is reasonable I can do it, but I don't have time.
So it's like do I just keep it as mechanically sound as possible and accept the fact that one day it will disappear and then strip it when that day comes and buy a cleaner stripped shell?
Part of my problem is I don't know what to worry about, and what to not worry about.

If I had it to do over again instead of buying a $6500 bus and putting another few grand into it before I could use it... then it lasting a year and needing an engine...
I should have just bought a $10-15k bus that was built by a competent VW guy. It would have been cheaper in the long run.

I am so torn. I don't know what I should do or think.
Robert Pirsig

dawelder

• GOLD Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »

I would remove the post and put it in the discussion forum until you figure it out.....

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:31:26 pm »

I 2nd the over-haulin'. We have plenty of people knowledgable about engine builds. I always thought it would be fun for the club to build an engine from start to finish. We all encounter this, like when my dash caught on fire. Just wait it out, I know how you all love camping! Camping with a Beetle isn't quite the same.

Just my two cents
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Celly

• Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »

1600 i'll come get it

But no really, what are you selling it for???
There are two things in ordinary conversation which ordinary people dislike - information and wit.

It\'s not a car, it\'s not a van, its a BUS!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up