SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus for sale  (Read 13307 times)

Celly

• Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
Re: Bus for sale
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:26 pm »

After reading this thread, I realize he is not serious about selling.  This thread is a tease !!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:01:17 pm by Celly »
There are two things in ordinary conversation which ordinary people dislike - information and wit.

It\'s not a car, it\'s not a van, its a BUS!

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 11:36:45 am »

my advice- keep the bus. You'll always regret getting rid of it.

as far as rust goes- does it effect the structural integrity of the bus? If not, it can wait.

as far as the engine is concerned- take the engine out. Over the winter, get a good repair manual, a heater and some patience. Most of us have learned about engines by slowly taking them apart to see what makes them tick. Label EVERYTHING. Take pictures and documentation. Stop putting extra parts on it and do a solid basic rebuild. All the fancy parts in the world don't mean bumpkiss if the base is trash. If you get stuck on the rebuild, get on the web site and ask for help. And, no offense to Shawn- do it in your own garage. If the motor is right outside your door, you will work on it more often. If you have to drive to it, you'll forget half of what you learn and you'll dread having to go to it.

If this is your daily driver, time for a new car- consider this a hobby.

as far as the transmission goes, if the noise disappears when you press in the clutch, then its not your transmission. While you have the engine out, check your throw out bearing/clutch assembly.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
  • 1974 Tintop with a nice rack
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »

It's not a daily driver. The rust is on the bottom of the driver's door and mostly the driver's floor and cargo floor spots. There's some in the bottom of the rockers and whatever you call the lower back side of front fenders underneath.

So basically don't buy any parts untill the engine is out and the heads are off?

My clutch was new with the engine 2500 miles ago. I think the noise is my transmission because I changed the fluid and it went away for a little while, then came back but not as loud. I thought throwout bearing only made noise when you stepped on the clutch?
What do you think?
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

what I'm really getting at is a basic rebuild should be fairly easy to do. Get a bently manual (if they have them for buses?). Start taking the engine apart by the manual.

When building an engine, no one will check and double check tolerances and adjustments better than the guy that is paying for it/driving it and owning it. if it gets too technical, you have the club.

Find out whats wrong and then buy parts. Otherwise the car is going to be like a stripper- she's not happy unless your throwing money at it.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 02:04:06 pm »

Ok yeah. I have the Bentley and the Haynes, and the Muir book too.
I know there is a valve problem. #3 has 0 compression, and with the piston at TDC air cones out the tailpipe when I blow it down the plug hole. And with the #3 exhaust adjuster backed all the way out I still don't have a gap.
George told me the next step was to remove the rocker assembly and recheck the air, and look at the valve stem height.
I've just been so disgusted by it, I haven't bothered because I really don't know what I want to do with it, and I am afraid of opening a can of worms.
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

rich67vw

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »

put it aside and wait until the spring! =whiteflag

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 04:18:36 pm »

put it aside and wait until the spring! =whiteflag

Or the first warm day after income tax.
It's hibernating in the barn.
Robert Pirsig
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up