SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate parts stores  (Read 7330 times)

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
I hate parts stores
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »

No, I hate efffing parts stores.
I have a NAPA about 2 miles from my house. In the past two maybe three years, I don't think I have ever walked out of that store with a part. If the parts jockey cant find it on the computer, it doesn't exist. And I'm not talking about tough parts. The last one was a muffler clamp! And NO, I don't want you to order one. If I wanted to wait a few days and pay a delivery charge, then I would have ordered it myself online and probably cheaper! Today I went with one I knew they wouldn't have. At the end of the carb linkage on a dual carb car, there is a socket that you press onto a ball on the carb throttle lever. The Einstein said that I should try a "tractor store" or he could order it. =cemcored\

What ever happened to parts stores? Speed shops? Are cars that disposable that now all parts are only disposables? Or is it that no one works on cars anymore.

ok, I'll get down. Who's next? soapbox=
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: I hate parts stores
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »

There was a time that they would have had it (when everyone and their brother had a VW) so now they only  carry parts that move they cant afford to have things on the shelf that they only get a call for every 5 years if that.  tongue\
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:04:10 pm »

Same thing happened at Radio Shack. Used to be you could go in there and walk out with the parts to build yourself a radio - or anything else electronic for that matter. They then, over the years, morphed into a consumer electronics store more like Best Buy, carrying fewer and fewer selections of basic electronic components. Then they pretty much turned into a cell phone and toy store. Then they closed.

Jack's right. Stores today don't want to tie up the money required to keep stock of items that don't move in large enough quantities.

And yes, I too would have ordered it from Amazon if I wanted it in two or three days... =cemcored\
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:10 pm »

Add to that being a woman and going into a parts store!    soapbox=  They see you as  1) helpless ,  2) stupid,   3) an idiot who wandered into the wrong store looking for
 lipstick, 4)  look past you as if searching for the "man" that you're with who would know what they're talking about because being a woman  you clearly dont....   

Ahh yes, parts stores.   Every woman's favorite place to go...   

girlPower

Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 06:59:49 pm »

Add to that being a woman and going into a parts store!    soapbox=  They see you as  1) helpless ,  2) stupid,   3) an idiot who wandered into the wrong store looking for
 lipstick, 4)  look past you as if searching for the "man" that you're with who would know what they're talking about because being a woman  you clearly dont....   

girlPower

\LIKE=
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:14 am »

girlPower

Interesting.
I'm in those stores frequently.
The NAPA's in Stratford and Westmont; the Advance Auto in Moorestown; and the Autozone in Lawnside all have at least one woman working the parts counter. At least they did the last time I was in those stores - all within the last year.
Not doubting your experiences at part stores, trust me, just an FYI. And no, it doesn't make their selection any better!!
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:32 pm »

Yes, our local auto zone has a woman who works there, however she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ...    Doesn't exactly provide a positive representation of the female gender..
 n-o

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:50 am »

Yes, our local auto zone has a woman who works there, however she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ...    Doesn't exactly provide a positive representation of the female gender..
 n-o

This was my original point. They just hire people that can work a computer screen. No experience necessary.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »

Seems like that's how it is for most jobs now,  sadly... 

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:32 pm »

Hmmmm., my experience is quite different. My local AutoZone has some really sharp guys behind the counter ( yes, there is a woman too, but to be fair, never interacted with her). They helped a lot on tricks in R&R Marilyn's and Katie's jeep parts, helped trouble shoot  a very strange brake issue ( spent 15+ minutes with me) and oftentimes suggested other stores for hard to get parts.  Part quality I found was very good, when I compared ( a few times) to OEM, they were the same, just different sticker.
   Even for the 1st time when I drove John Doe home from Va with a rapid brake fluid leak, once I knew it was a brake cylinder, A Pepboys in Delaware  had one, a German rebuilt one ( they actually had 2) at a whopping cost of $15 each. I should have bought both, but I am cheap
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1]   Go Up