SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ladies Garage Time  (Read 5538 times)

Arlo (Paula)

• Bronze Member
  • SJVWC
Ladies Garage Time
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:41:53 pm »

Since I?m the only female officer for the next two years on the board, I would like to suggest possibly asking any ladies who want to learn to fix their bus including engine work down to the smaller repairs in case we get stuck on the road with our dogs and we are by ourselves.  I would truly and seriously would like to learn the mechanics of Arlo so I can do this solo for the life of the bus and me.  If anyone is having Air Raids and ladies are welcome to learn (and take notes) I would be interested to learn anything to keep my bus alive.  If this is a crazy request, that?s fine.  I just need to learn to work on Arlo until I can?t anymore.  I?m hoping that other ladies would be interested too.  Thanks my VW family. 

ukuladynet

Re: Ladies Garage Time
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:45:11 pm »

Shawn has always said anyone is welcome to come to the air raids, so I don't see why they wouldn't mind you observing and taking notes. It might be a little different for you with the new engine though, maybe also join a online forum for Subaru? I only say that because I know when I had my Jeep and we had our Ford Ranger, we belonged to online forums for them and it was way more detailed than asking a general mechanic etc.

I'm probably going to tag along to the one at Shawn's next week with Anthony, maybe I will see you there :)

Side note in my case, I don't drive our bus so I just leave it all to Anthony, otherwise I'd probably learn more about the inner workings of the VW. You are lucky you have Norm, having a mechanically inclined SO is plus!

Gunterwagen (Nick C.)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:35:00 pm »

My wife is interested but she doesn?t have a login yet.

She can change oil, filters, and tires. She would love to learn more.

She?ll be at the air raid though.
Could be better, could be worse, could be in a hearse.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:32:50 pm »

NO No no   n-o Women in the garage!!! Now you want to infiltrate our last bation of privacy, stay inn the kitchen where you belong!! Bake some pies or something.............

I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

buglvw (Howard)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:16:02 pm »

OH BOY. You better duck Jack  bomb-
If you have to copy at least be original!

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »

No discrimination in my garage...

The whole thing is a lesson. 

Just so you?re clear on how this works? An AirRaid Is the visit to a members house to help them move their project along. In this case the VW bus we?re working on is water cooled and we?re transplanting a Diesel engine!  But there?s a whole list of little things that need to get done, then include mechanical work, fuel system and even bodywork.  There?s plenty to learn

And Overhaulin? is held at my garage, because I have enough tools for everybody, specialty tools and welding/cutting equipment and a good supply of parts just in case we forgot something. OverHaulins? are planned well in advance and the owner of the vehicle has to buy all of the parts necessary to complete all of the jobs on the schedule. He or she must also participate in to overhaulins? (or air raids)  prior to scheduling their?s

The vehicle owner Supply?s coffee and donuts for breakfast and lunch (and even dinner if necessary)

So come on out and participate or take photos/videos or just hang out and learn.

The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 09:46:15 pm »

I will have a heated (if necessary) overflow tent outside and so don?t worry about the cold
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 06:46:51 am »

I'm going to defend Shawn and the other men,  and say that I have personally been to air raids before ( my car... but still I was there).  In no way did I ever feel uncomfortable, nor did anyone talk down to me due to the "girl" factor.   These guys are a great bunch of guys with an incredible amount of knowledge that they are willing to share,  and do not make  you feel stupid while you are learning. ( And let you wear gloves to protect your nails without making too much fun of you!  haha )  But seriously,    Air raids are a lot of fun, a lot of work,  and an opportunity to get to know your VW  better!      As far as food,   I brought pound cake that I made  ( with strawberries and whipped cream for Jack.. lol)    and coffee.    Give these guys a little food and they're happy campers    =hungry   wa\ve

So ladies,  don't feel intimidated by the Air Raids and Overhaulins...    get in there and learn!  That being said,  I need to go again too.  #blush

Ok Im climbing down  soapbox=         !hug     \VW=
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:50:46 am by kvbug (karen) »
Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 06:52:48 am »

the trick to fixing cars is to get comfortable around them. We may not be fixing what you want to learn but the more you participate, the more comfortable you get with your own ride.

I don't know diddly about the water cooled cars but am interested to see whats being done so I can get more comfortable with my own water cooled
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 08:55:53 am »

OH BOY. You better duck Jack  bomb-

Haha Just  =stirpot-  Howard but no reaction  cr\y
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 11:52:41 am »

Jack, we're too smart to react...  we know when we're being  baited...  whistll=-      haha      -rofl\
Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

Fire Lady (Michelle)

• SJVWC Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »

Paula,

My first suggestion is to read the Idiot's Guide to get an understanding of how a VW works. And Jeanette makes a good point, you have a Subaru, so you'll also need to learn how that engine works too.  Attending these overhaulin's and air raids will be both entertaining and a learning experience, so if you are looking to know more, you should attend.

I've owned an aircooled VW for 21 years... I can help pull the engine out (once Yucel detaches everything), I can clean the shrouding (before he puts it all back in), I can help him organize his garage when he makes a mess of it, and I can tell him when I see smoke coming out of the back... but I don't want to fix it myself. I think by now I could know more about VW's than I do, but I don't, and I'm okay with that.  I'm much better at managing projects.   But if you are interested in working on them yourselves, I think an air raid is a great place to start!   

Jack- Sorry I failed to see this and yell at you before everyone else called you out. I TOTALLY would have loved the opportunity.  (argue\
most people have to go to work in the morning

stingraynorm

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »

I don?t understand why when you had every opportunity to be personally taught everything about your bus you  choose  to not take part in the building and understanding of how everything works and how to maintain your bus when you had all the opportunity?s to do so. I?m sorry if my msg seams out of line. If it is please let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up