Author Topic: Front end  (Read 263 times)

Offline 6T5 square

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
Front end
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
If you wanted to lower your front end on your beetle, which way would you go? Dropped spindles or adjustable beam?

Offline VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Director
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Front end
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:04:24 PM »
  I believe the consensus is 'Dropped Spindles.'
Ride, alignment, shocks all stay the same.
 It's been years since I did it and never looked back. No negatives whatsoever.

Offline lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
I agree with Joe.

Offline Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
Anyone planning to install drop spindles needs to plan on smaller tires and or a 2 to 4 inch narrowed front beam. Lots of discussion on this subject can be found on the Samba Forums. When I built my '56 Beetle, it came with an adjustable front beam. So, in the front I installed short shocks and 145X15 tires. The ride height was very nice but, the ride was not as comfortable as a stock suspension. The wheel travel was less with the short shocks. And the smaller tires with less side wall did not not give as much as taller tires. Therefor the rid was a little harsh in the front. Just some thoughts from my experience. Both of my '63 Bugs have stock ride height. I did however put 155X15 radials in the front and 165X15 radials in the rear. Herbie has a heavy duty Scat sway bar in the front and an original Empi camber compensator on the rear axle. Dusty has an original VW sway bar in the front and an original Empi camber compensator on the rear axle. Both cars have stock shocks. Both cars ride and handle very well. Good luck to any member making changes and improvements to their ride!  old-\