SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack and Kingpins:  (Read 5527 times)

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Jack and Kingpins:
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:28:53 pm »

I'm converting my 58 Beetle to disc brakes. Even after bleeding and adjustments, the old front drum brakes car tends to slow down more than stops- plus the one front wheel cylinder keeps freezing up.

As I proceed with the conversion I tend to check each step of the teardown and installation with literature and sometimes U-Tube, since I only do this every 15 years or so.

The best U-Tube is by our very own member and founder Jack Kessel. It's very entertaining. It features a few of our members and their cars. 

If you haven't done so, watch it, if not for the knowledge then for the entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHB9GpN_sdw

Where did the years go?
  =whiteflag

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Re: Jack and Kingpins:
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »

Hi Joe,

I did replace my 55 front brakes with discs, m -  was pretty straight forward...
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:47 pm »

Thanks Joe,
I installed disc brakes on the front of Herbie. They work much better than the drums. I did a complete king and link pin replacement at the time also. I figured it was a no brainer to combine the jobs. I like them so much I bought the same set up for Dusty ( my Gray '63 Rag Top) I plan to install the soon.  -MONEY\ well spent!  old-\
46 years later and I am back to a '63 Rag named Herby
 '56 Oval Nigel  '53 Zwitter Project Stanley 
 Dalton said "Opinions Vary"

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 04:12:10 pm »

My installation is not going so good. I already twisted off at the master cylinder; the rear brake hard line nipple. This is the connection that goes to the T in the back. That means I have to run a whole new rear brake line

Blackie has one. Another trip to Vineland.

The Master cylinder that goes with the unit looks a lot longer. It's going to be close. I see myself denting in the tunnel to make it work.

Also, this unit came with dropped spindles. The dropped spindles I already have on the bug will not work with this new set-up. That means doing the shim calculations. I did it before, not hard, just follow the instructions.
stu\dy
Pages: [1]   Go Up