SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just saying Hello  (Read 5795 times)

slowtwitch

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
Just saying Hello
« on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:02 am »

Hello Folks, I just wanted to say hi and hope everyone is playing safely. I've been home from work since March (fortunately, I still get a paycheck). Anyway, I've had a ton of time working on the 57 oval and I finally had some time to clean up the garage. I posted on the giveaway portion of the site for some parts I want to let go of. I forgot to include that if anyone is interested in picking up the parts, that you wear a mask!!!!

I would also prefer that the parts be used or that if they are sold, some of the proceeds go to the club.

Thanks!!!!!

pete

pete

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Just saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:16:53 am »

Hay Pete:

Nice to hear from you.

I often wondered how you were doing.

How is the carburetor linkage business coming along?

I would be interested in one of your gas tanks. If other members are interested in your parts, Perhaps we could make it a nice visit.

Cheers
jt

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:25:03 am »

Hey Pete- I was talking about you the other day! All good things, don?t worry. Like to see some pictures of the ride!
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

slowtwitch

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »

Hay Pete:

Nice to hear from you.

I often wondered how you were doing.

How is the carburetor linkage business coming along?

I would be interested in one of your gas tanks. If other members are interested in your parts, Perhaps we could make it a nice visit.

Cheers
jt

Hi Joe, The linkage thing is keeping me busy and it supports my vices :) As for the tanks, I have three to choose from :) You guys are always welcomed to visit :)

pete

slowtwitch

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:38:21 pm »

Hey Pete- I was talking about you the other day! All good things, don?t worry. Like to see some pictures of the ride!

Hi John, I didn't feel my ears burning, so alls good ..lol. As mentioned, the foundation (where I work) shut down mid-March,(I'm very fortunate that I still get a full paycheck!!!!). Before I get into the picture thing. I want to start with a little story....

Now I had some time to work on the bug. Now mind you,  I haven't started the engine in about 5 years. So. in the first week of the covid thing, I was anxious to get the engine started. I wired up all the gizmos for the Megasquirt, installed a temporary gas tank, and started the engine. It sounded great. I shut it down to hook up a remote start, so I can set things up on the computer. When I restarted the engine it ran for about ten seconds and then shut down. I thought I ran out of gas, but, instead the engine seized on me :( There was oil, but, I should have primed the pump :(

It gets better, I had put the body back on the chassis with the engine installed. So now that the engine has to come out, it can't because the type 4 is slightly longer than a type 1 engine. So I had to remove the rear apron to get the engine out.

So after I removed the engine, tore it down, and inspected the damage, I kinda lucked out. The crank was good, just the #3 bearing smeared a small bit. Any marks on the crank were quickly polished out. Then when I was inspecting the cylinders, I found one that had a nasty scour in it. I couldn't just replace it, as it was bored out for a 92mm pistons. I started to search the web for machine shops that would machine a cylinder, as I had a few type 4 cylinders in the basement.

I had 5 cylinders in the basement. They have been there for about 9-10 years. I brought them out to the garage to pick out the best one for machining. Then I noticed a couple of then looked different. Would you believe it...two of the pistons were already bored for my 92mm pistons. Then I remembered that when I had the pistons done, they shipped back a set with two cylinders with damaged fins. I sent them another set and they machined them at no cost. So I had two extra cylinders laying about for close to 9-10 years and didn't know it ....old age ..lol.

Anyway, long story short, The engine has been put together it started right up. This time I installed a pressure gauge in the engine compartment...just in case...lol

pete

slowtwitch

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:09 pm »

A couple more....
pete

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 07:31:06 pm »

Pete:

I love your creativity. Your VW engine has a unique look and doesn't resemble any other-cheers.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 12:06:55 pm »

That thing is going to be a beast, Pete.

I put the Wolfsburg west Okrasa kit in my 60 beetle. I think the weakest part of the kit is the linkage. You heave to use their crappy carbs because of the linkage. One of these days I have to come over to you and have you take a look at it
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

slowtwitch

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:13:51 pm »

That thing is going to be a beast, Pete.

I put the Wolfsburg west Okrasa kit in my 60 beetle. I think the weakest part of the kit is the linkage. You heave to use their crappy carbs because of the linkage. One of these days I have to come over to you and have you take a look at it

As I have said before, you guys are always welcomed to stop by :)
pete

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:09:52 pm »

So I had two extra cylinders laying about for close to 9-10 years and didn't know it ....old age ..lol.

Sometimes when i search my old boxes in the basement of car parts, I completely forgot what I had.. dont think of it as old age, ... just so many parts to keep track of!
Great work on the engine - nice! 11&* 11&*
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

KenLT1

• GOLD Member
  • Me n the Bug
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 02:55:05 pm »

If I'm correct Dubs on the Boards for September 12th is canceled.  If not  post  back n let all know, ,

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:49 am »

Facebook page makes no mention of it being cancelled. I would think we would also receive  an email, if your on the mailing list
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

KenLT1

• GOLD Member
  • Me n the Bug
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 10:44:14 am »

Talked with Garret VW n there saying it's Canceled.  Is there someone else we can call to confirm this information. Ph # please
Thanks Roger

KenLT1

• GOLD Member
  • Me n the Bug
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 11:19:51 am »

Now someone just said on Facebook it's Not CANCELED.  I guess the final word from what they said comes from a Mr Marc Miller.  Will  have to wait n see.

KenLT1

• GOLD Member
  • Me n the Bug
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 10:18:32 pm »

I guess will see on Saturday  at the cruise if I get an answer as to the status of the the Dubs on the Boards Wildwood show is it on or canceled  !,I'm
Pages: [1]   Go Up