SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you work on your car in the cold?  (Read 8938 times)

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
Do you work on your car in the cold?
« on: November 26, 2023, 11:33:01 am »

With the winter months has upon us, some of us are putting our cars away and some are still driving. I always start my project list in September and it's stuff I need to do over the winter. Fortunately I have a garage ( no where near the Taj level) but it has plenty of room and I have several electric heaters to keep me warm so i can stay comfortable and somewhat motivated through the winter. This year I'll be removing the engine and redoing all the seals and the pushrods tubes. A little cleaning as well. I have a small wiring job to get my parking lights working and then after that the cover may go on for a while. I am tempted to do a rust repair. The left rear bumper bracket has some rust inside it and should be replaced. Luckily I have a friend down here with an immaculate workshop, a lift and he does welding. I could handle the painting at my house but it is a job I'd rather not have to do.

So the question this time is- do you make a winter list? Do you have a place to work on it or will you rely on the help of good friends? Or are you just covering it up until the thermometer creeps up a little more?

John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Do you work on your car in the cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 04:18:15 pm »

REMEMBER WHAT JACK SAID; "JUST DRIVE THE DAMN THING!"

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 12:45:48 pm »

I do drive the car in the cold months, Joe. I stop driving as soon as I see salt going down on the roads and don't start again until after a couple of good rains wash the crap off. I just took Ned on a sea cruise to go and visit George G in Ocean City.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 05:11:17 pm »

YEa, pretty much I do not drive if there is salt on the road... not good for German metal.
I dont do too much car work in the winter, my wife has our 1.5 car garage in the winter, so I am .... allowed.. to use it on the weekends. Also have a heater and get that garage heated up until it is tee - shirt time.

You replace the pushrod seals without them leaking?  I need to come over your place to help me with maybe some engine stuff since you have a lot of time on your hands...guess that is what retirement brings ya... maybe Ill find out in a couple years...
  Heck forget visiting ya, i'll move next to you ( yes I know it will bring the local real estate market down..sorry) but if you know someone who has a lift.... well!!!...
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 10:33:49 am »

Yeah, I think I hasn't the pushrod tubes down to an art form now. The square taught me a lot.

I've got a nice propane heater but the wife yells if the smell comes in the house. I like doing the engine work. As you can attest to Matt, it's the laying on the ground that sucks.

You wouldn't want to move to my neighborhood. Too many damn old people😀
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??
Pages: [1]   Go Up