SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Install Help  (Read 16714 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Re: Engine Install Help
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 08:25:45 pm »

=-/ you didn't get the joke, because we have his address, we can go egg his house as a club event =-)

What's wrong with eatting Beetles?
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

When is mischief night again?

LoL Did I forget to mention that I am a bit of a computer geek, and I have a IP security system with live feed to a recording server off site. It also works in low light, and is motiton activated, housed in a DOD bomb proof enclosure??

I sometimes forget to mention little details...

T1

Marc  :icon_jokercolor:
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 10:21:14 pm »

Yay someone got it... I feel so young =-(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

Celly

• Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 11:55:30 am »

What happened with the engine install????  Hope everything went well Marc, I really wish I could have been there.   

Sooo.... give me some details or I'm coming over there on Goosey night (mischief night?? that is so south jersey  T1 )

Security system or not I can throw a mean toilet paper.  :icon_tongue:

-Yucel  stoned#
There are two things in ordinary conversation which ordinary people dislike - information and wit.

It\'s not a car, it\'s not a van, its a BUS!

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 12:08:06 pm »

Hey, Despite the rain on saturday Bob and I got the motor in  P#3 and the valves adjusted. However, it seems that my starter decidedto die on me  m-d So I'll be getting on this week and seeing how that goes...
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:19 pm »

Marc,

thanks for the  plndonut 196
It was fun but too bad the starter crapped out, I was ready to hear that puppy make some music!!

I forgot Saturday but before you pull the starter try shunting across the terminals with a screwdriver or something with an insulated handle. Make sure the car is out of gear and in neutral. You can bypass the solenoid this way but be warned lots of sparks! If you have a remote start switch you can just hook that up and give it a try. This way you will know if the starter is fried or if it turns over then start looking for something else.

Bob
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 05:59:59 pm »

Ive got a couple of starters sitting in my shop, dunno the condition but I could be inspired to go test one if ya need.  I know one is a 6v, cant remember if the other is 12 or not but I think it is.  If its just your solenoid you could just take one off one of these, or try the whole starter if you need it.

Im in Mullica Hill if you're nearby.

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 08:15:29 pm »

Jim,

Hes going to need a 12V starter.

Yo Marc, watta ya think??
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 09:27:52 pm »

Jim,
     Thanks!!, but I picked one up at my local auto zone for $39.99 +15 core ;D :icon_cheers: I was s h o c k e d at the low price!!! So, I got it installed this afternoon :icon_cheers: And I realized when I was reconnecting the wires, that the old one is probably good, since I was putting the wire on the single bottom terminal not on the top on Saturday... stoned#  :wallbash:  So I got it to turn over and run for a few seconds, but it wont stay running, and backfires a bit, but could that be from the starting fluid???  c23 I checked and i see fuel in fuel filter.  I'm not really sure what to do shocked  S@Sm  Any suggestions??
Marc
PS here is a photo of the engine back in the car...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:49:07 pm by luvgroovesalad »
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 11:42:57 pm »

My car use to backfire...I messed with the timing and it cleared it up a bit. Cause use an experienced person's eye and ear. I was adjusting the timing and it when BAM!! So I put it back where it was, figured it was Bridgette telling me to leave her alone.  Did you adjusting the timing? Is that a dent in the new muffler already?!?!!! It looks good... the engine not the dent.  :'(

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:49 am »

Marc,

I was putting the wire on the single bottom terminal not on the top on Saturday... stoned  wallbash  So I got it to turn over and run for a few seconds, but it wont stay running, and backfires a bit, but could that be from the starting fluid???

that sucks! but at least the starter won't be a problem. I think the old one looked pretty crusty anyway.

Check your plug wires at the distributor ( 1-4-3-2 firing order ), static time the engine and plug that vacuum leak on the carb. Check again for anything loose on the intake, you don't want any vacuum leaks. The starter fluid usually doesn't cause a back fire but just for the record look down your carb throat and hit the throttle you should see a stream of gas from the accelerator pump. If all is good it should fire right up with no starter fluid. If you can get it running and the timing is close try to adjust the carb for the best speed. You will have to mess with the idle to keep it running but it should smooth out.

The picture looks great!
I'm sure everybody will jump in with some more ideas.. ( where are ya Jack!! )

Ben Franklin

Thrasher

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 07:44:27 am »

Cant help with the technical aspect but the engine looks great.
I want one Jt3

What size is it?  And how many horsepower??

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 09:10:45 am »

Check your plug wires at the distributor ( 1-4-3-2 firing order ), static time the engine and plug that vacuum leak on the carb.
Here is how the wires are on the dist

The backfire blew the screws I had in my vacuum lines, so I need to do all of them again.... 

Yep that Old starter was crusty, fo 39 bucks it was a no brainer.

the engine looks great.
What size is it?  And how many horsepower??
THANKS!  ;D  It's a 1600 DP, I do not know the HP, but it is stock, other than the extractor exhaust.

Is that a dent in the new muffler already?!?!!! It looks good... the engine not the dent.  :'(

LoL The exhaust is old, I just have mad spray painting / sanding skillz!  P#3  And THANKS  :icon_cheers:
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00:13 am »

Doh, that's off.  As Bob said, should be 1 - 4 - 3 - 2 I *think* in a clockwise direction but wait for someone else to chime in as Im sitting at work without any reference materials in front of me and I suffer from CRS (Cant remember stuff)

Easy fix though :)  And the car is lookin sweet!

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 10:28:56 am »

Easy fix though :)  And the car is lookin sweet!
I'll swap the wires this afternoon!!! 

Thanks, well, the engine is looking sweet, the rest is looking like a dirty pirate whore...

Sitting all summer brought on some rust and general need of a good cleaning, which is next on the list after it gets running.... I1t
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up