Author Topic: John's 1960 bug  (Read 201043 times)

Offline lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: John's 1960 bug
« Reply #1365 on: August 16, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
I'll wait till 9 oclock, just to be decent, Bob.

Bob said for you to call him....

Offline 6T5 square

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #1366 on: September 29, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
So I've been having issues again.

Twice in the past few weeks I've gotten stuck because of vapor lock in the engine. Once at Harbr Frieght and once right after the air cooled gathering in Flanders. The last one was the toughest- I was stuck in a parking lot 5 miles down the street from the show for about 3 hours. Th Engine had cooled off, I even packed the fuel pump with ice and still couldn't get it started. Sprayed starter fluid in, checked the distributor for spark, disconnected the fuel pump to confirm fuel was coming from the tank. Every thing checked out. Finally gave up and called AAA to tow it home. As soon as I got off the phone with them, the damn car started up. That should be a tech tip for everybody- if your car won't start, call AAA , wait 30 seconds and then turn the key.  =cemcored\
The car drove at 70 mph all the way home, idled perfectly at every light.
After talking to our VW gurus here in the club and researching on the samba, I've concluded on the following- with the metal lines to the dual carbs being longer than stock, the fuel has more time to heat up. Unfortunately with the 1960 rear engine lid there are no air vents to let out the heat. The 60 convertible had a vented hood but they are basically un- obtainable unless you have the big bank roll. Some have suggested hood props. I don't care for the props at the top of the hood. I think they look goofy on this, a mostly stock car. I have found a guy on the samba that sells billet aluminum hood props for the bottom of the lid so I think I will try it. Meanwhile for this weekends Vineland show, I'll be using a tennis ball to prop the hood open while I drive to the show

Offline VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Director
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #1367 on: September 29, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
  I would try to insulate the fuel line with something like a small diameter foam tubing, like what is used on hot water pipes. Is there something that small? IDK. If it's split, you can easily remove it for shows and reinstall it for the drive home

Offline Richard (Monty)

• Member SJVWC
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #1368 on: September 30, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
What Joe said, except I'd try using the German cloth braid fuel line. I think it would hold up better, give a better R value and look almost as if it belonged there. Just split it with a sharp knife.

Another thought, check the fuel pump push rod while the engine is hot. The bakelite pump stand can swell over time and when hot can limit or stop the rod from moving back down to its cam.

I've had this problem. Very frustrating.

Offline Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #1369 on: October 01, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »
What Joe said, except I'd try using the German cloth braid fuel line. I think it would hold up better, give a better R value and look almost as if it belonged there. Just split it with a sharp knife.

Another thought, check the fuel pump push rod while the engine is hot. The bakelite pump stand can swell over time and when hot can limit or stop the rod from moving back down to its cam.

I've had this problem. Very frustrating.
That's what I told him. Great Minds...

Offline 6T5 square

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #1370 on: October 02, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
I told Rich- already done.