SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd New Carb...  (Read 6771 times)

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
2nd New Carb...
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:18:12 pm »

Well, I was able to get the carb installed this afternoon.  :icon_cheers: I played around with for about 30 minutes, but I have not been able to get it to idle. m-d &m& m-d2 I know it is warmed up,  and I checked for air leaks. This is really starting to piss me off.  Not sure where to go from here  c23  Putting it up on the samba is starting too look like a good way to fix it to me.  kickButt
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Re: 2nd New Carb...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:04:15 pm »

I could share some of my idle. That's only if you share some of your high beams. It's fair. Don't put in on samba
wise man once said, take a break from it for a while and then go back to it again. I believe Bob told this to me.

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:56:28 pm »

wise man once said, take a break from it for a while and then go back to it again. I believe Bob told this to me.

thanks! grasshopper!

but I have not been able to get it to idle. mad mad2 mad2 I know it is warmed up,  and I checked for air leaks.

Marc,

its got to be something stupid simple! first off take a deep breath and go watch some TV. OK now when you feel a bit relaxed try this. Start with the cut off valve, is it getting a full 12 volts ? is it retracting completely ? did a new one come with the  carb? OK now all those ideas are shot, next check the idle & mixture screws, can you turn the idle screw out and if so is there any change?? if not how about the mixture screw ? again check your choke setting its cold enough right now so that a partially closed choke should get the idle up.

I'm sure at this point somebody else will jump in ( JACK WHERE ARE YOU!!!! )  m-d2

Seriously there is a reason for this and putting the car on the Samba is just going to make somebody else happy when they find the problem and then they get to enjoy all your hard work! don't give up,  :surrender: if I gave in everytime one of my beasties gave me a problem I would have dumped both cars 10 years ago. Theres an answer for all of this just keep thinking about it.  BO**
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

kiko

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:01:24 am »

luvgroove where do you live?  The timing is good? .  Valves adjusted ok?  Fuel pump strong?  gas old?  Did you change your filter with the carb?

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:11:18 pm »

luvgroove where do you live?  The timing is good? .  Valves adjusted ok?  Fuel pump strong?  gas old?  Did you change your filter with the carb?

Hi, I am in somerdale,  and yes, yes, yes, no, and yes...

I hope to have a friend of mine stop by next week to give me a hand... He really knows  vwlogo s   If he can't get it running then it will going on the samba for sure...  :icon_geek:  But anyone who wants to  :wallbash: helping to get the beast running, I'd love to share my pain...  c23 &m&
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

kiko

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:59:29 pm »

perhaps you need an old priest a young preist and some holy water?  Some red brick dust around the car?

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 02:45:41 pm »

LoL I don't think it would hurt...
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:40:29 pm »

Well, I had some time on saturday and spent about an hour tweaking and adjusting and managed to get nowhere...  So I am ordering new manifild boots and gaskets just in dcase there is an air leak that I missed. This bug is getting closer to the samba every day...
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:04:16 pm »

Stop throwing money at it and bring it to Jacks (or have him over to your place, which ever is easier for him.)
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

kiko

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:53 pm »

can you keep it running long enough to spray for leaks?  before you take the intake apart?

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:25:29 am »

Stop throwing money at it and bring it to Jacks (or have him over to your place, which ever is easier for him.)

LoL I already had him over with the last carb....  I'll be checking with Jack in a bit....  :icon_thumright:  I also wanted to replace the manifold boots, since they are not new, and my manifold gaskets are the cheap metal ones and it's only 10 bucks for both...  it also takes another variable out of the equation...  It will also make me feel better knowing the boots won't crack in two weeks!

can you keep it running long enough to spray for leaks?  before you take the intake apart?
Jack and I did that, and everything "seemed" to be leak free. I am running out of causes for my problem.

The chances of receiving 2 bad carbs is very slim, and the engine runs great  at higher RPM, it is not starving for fuel, no backfires or stumbling. the only thing she won't do is idle...
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 04:49:01 pm »

nd my manifold gaskets are the cheap metal ones

Hate to say it but I bet thats it. I hate the metal ones, always use the fiber bug pak ones they seal better. I'll bet after replacing both the boots and gaskets ( please buy the fiber ones! ) its going to run right!

< Christmas party ??
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:33 pm »

Hey did you buy them yet? I have a bag of engine re-build stuff that was sent to be by a accident... SHHHHH If what you need is in the bag you can have it. I won't be rebuilding my engine anytime soon.

=-)

Just link me up with a picture and I will look in the goodie bag to see if it's in there. If it doesn't seal correctly you can go with the fiber ones like Bob mentioned.

Consider it a early x-mas gift from Bridgette and I
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Celly

• Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:28:56 am »

Marc sounds like carb is adjusted improperly or you have an air leak.  Don't give up  @3#

2CENTS

Yucel T3=
There are two things in ordinary conversation which ordinary people dislike - information and wit.

It\'s not a car, it\'s not a van, its a BUS!

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:43:11 pm »

I know Bob does not like the metal gaskets, and agree with him the fiber ones are nicer,
but I have used the metal gaskets many many times and never had a problem with them, I still trust them completly, they served VW well for many millions of engines.
The only time I pesonally saw a problem was on my brothers bug, he left a washer under the gasket!!  .///

small air leak will cause the idle speed to float up and down, a large air leak will cause it to cut out at idle. If Jack did not find an air leak the first time, I'd be surprised if one is really there. With the washer under the gasket, the car would idle, but it would drift around. So you would need a bigger air leak than that or possibly a smaller one in a more detrimental place perhaps

It takes a LOT to knock a bug engine out of commision.

THis is a strange one.
Could  your timing way off?

My only other thought is besides a possible leak  (  shocked)   is I had the same problem when I put my carb frommy 1600 engine on my new 1776 engine, I could not get it to idle, it was fine at high rpms.  What I EVENTUALLY found was I had to back out the large adjusting screw waaay far to get it running......
sorry wish I had an answer for ya.

Good luck Marc.

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up