SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do during an Engine Fire.  (Read 7968 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
What to do during an Engine Fire.
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

I posted this topic because I think it's important for us to know what exactly to do. I mean, the obvious thing to do is to shut the engine and grab the extinguisher. 

But...

What is the correct fire extinguisher? Should the unlucky person avoid spraying certain things to save the engine? Or is it just spray and pray?

I'm tired of hearing people talk about.. yeah I had a bug and it caught on fire....man i misss that bug. After hearing this, I've promised myself to change the fuel lines and hose clamps in the engine compartment yearly! I can't lose my baby!
 :icon_cheesygrin:

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Ann Mezger

Re: What to do during an Engine Fire.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:02 am »

You will need to have an extinguisher that is made for use on magnesium fires if it's the engine that's burning. It's a good idea to keep one in the car at all times. Also a must to shut the engine off to stop the fuel from feeding the flames.

skymath

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:33:04 pm »

where do you get such an extinguisher?  i don't have one. 

also my fuel lines seemed fairly new but how do you check to be sure?

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:09:18 pm »

Once I 'saved' a bug from a fire at the Depford mall (about 22 years ago). My wife and I were driving through the parking lot when we saw an unattended bug in the middle of the mall road with smoke from the engine lid. I pulled over and used my extinuisher to cool the lid hinges (to keep the lid up) then doused the fire untill that extinuisher was empty, the flames were plenty hot! We then heard fire trucks. We stayed untill the trucks and owner arrived together. Nobody said anything to me, so I packed up and left. Mabye he was going for a full burn! Poof
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »

You would need a Class D  dry chemical fire extinguisher,  Water should not be used to extinguish magnesium fires, because it can produce hydrogen which will feed the fire, according to the reaction:

Mg (s) + 2 H2O (g) → Mg(OH)2 (s) + H2 (g)
or in words:

Magnesium (solid) + steam → Magnesium hydroxide (solid) + Hydrogen (gas)

Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers should not be used either, because magnesium can burn in carbon dioxide (forming magnesium oxide, MgO, and carbon). A Class D dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used if available, or else the fire should be covered with sand or magnesium foundry flux. An easy way to put out small metal fires is to place a polyethylene bag filled with dry sand on top of the fire. The heat of the fire will melt the bag and the sand will flow out onto the fire.

This is why the Navy dumps burning aircraft overboard...

We have a sticky on what to do in case of fire somewhere...

Marc   :icon_geek:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:22:00 pm by luvgroovesalad »
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:04:25 pm »

First thing to do BEFORE the fire is get that plastic filter out of the engine compartment and under the car where it belongs
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:11:55 pm »

Damn Marc!
a regular fire fighter!
Once I worked in a place that used sheets of magnesium to make dies for rubber printing plates. They would engrave the plates with whatever image was needed so there was always lots of magnesium shavings around. I got stuck working late one night with a bunch of guys and one of these bozos  :icon_clown: decided to fill a paper cup with some of the shavings and some cleaning solution which was much like paint thinner. This nut case wanted to sit it on the loading dock and light it but we talked him into walking it out into a field behind the building. Now this place backed up to a freeway ( this happened in California ) so the above said nut case makes a "wick" out of a rag and proceeds to light the thing. Within about 2 minutes the flash was like looking into the sun.  Poof Poof Poof Poof Poof Poof 

It lasted for about 3 or 4 minutes and since it could be seen from the freeway somebody called the fire department! Yep they showed up but by the time they got there the bozo  :icon_clown: cleaned everything up so they never figured it was a "mag fire" that caused the flash. Now I hope i never have to put out a VW since the case is close to what fueled this fire I'd have to think it would be a tough thing to extinguish!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »

Never had a VW magnesium fire but check this one out. A friend of mine who is in the military special forces. Brought me some magnesium filled shotgun shells. Actually what they are used for is hostile crowd control. Well we were out pre deer season testing out our guns for shot pattern and I had brought some of the shells with me. It was just about dark as we were headed back to our trucks, when I reached in my pocket and remembered that I had brought some of the shells with me. We were on the edge of a very large rye field and I said to my buddies hey I’ve been having troubles with shells ejecting from my guy keep an eye on it while I fire it. I pointed the gun at about a 45degree angle and fired. Hell. It shocked all of us including myself as this bright white ball of fire lunched and flew easily about 100 yards with a tail of about 40 – 50 yards long of the brightest whitest fire that I”ve seen short of lighting! It looked like a freaking comet flying across the field. Also much to our surprise was the fire that ignited across the field as the particles fell to earth. And the military uses this chit for crowd control. I think it’s more like crowd ignition. Damn I can’t imagine getting shot at with one of those shells. I had considered hunting with those shells in hopes of not only bagging my game but also cooking it with one shot.  fig2

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

dawelder

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:02 pm »

A friend of mine that races opels had a hell of an idea. He mounted a extinguisher under the hood and drilled through the handles ran a threaded cable through the handles and used 4 nuts. Then he pulled the pin. If he ever has a fire all he has to do is pull the cable mounted by the ebrake and it will set off the extinguisher.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:54 pm »

Well we were out pre deer season testing out our guns for shot pattern and I had brought some of the shells with me.

LoL LoL LoL  Gives new meaning to "looks like a deer in the headlights"!!

He mounted a extinguisher under the hood and drilled through the handles ran a threaded cable through the handles and used 4 nuts.

great idea, wonder if that could be used on a V-dub. probably easier to move the fuel filter.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

skymath

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:49:58 pm »

what are you guys talking about when you say move the fuel filter?

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:54:56 pm »

How come VW came with the fuel filter in the engine compartment if that's bad spot for it? I to do my yearly rubber fuel line and filter replacement in August. Is right after the gas tank a better spot for the fuel filter?

My extinguister came with the car.  ;D
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:19 pm »

it's a little plastic canister that should be placed before the fuel pump. Not in between the fuel pump and the carb because that's the pressure end of the pump.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »

Original german fuel filters were metal. Someone had the clever idea to make it clear plastic so that way you could see if it was dirty or not. They also placed it in the engine compartment to make it easy to change.
Since most vw owners use the disposable plastic ones (they melt easy) the correct place to put them is under the gas tank or over the axle near the gear box. Anywhere away from heat and spark.

Oh, one more thing- all hoses that have fuel running through them should have screw clamps on them
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:55 pm »

My extinguister came with the car.  ;D
Hopefully you keep it inside the car with you (at arms reach) I've seen too many people who keep it in the trunk. Takes too long to get the damn thing- fire travels fast
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up