SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's different about this engine?  (Read 17689 times)

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: What's different about this engine?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:33 am »

>:( Jack you are like the cop that bust college parties.  >:(

Sorry about that and I know your creative, BUT like Matt said, icky, icky.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Ninamashr

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:48 am »

This is my 1st post and I'd like to thank Matt for inviting me to join your site.  First of all thanks for all the comments on my engine and you guys have a very cool site BTW.  It has been a long process in building this engine.  I saw an original Tri-Power back a few years ago at a swap meet and also on The Samba.  It was really weird and cool at the same time and I always wanted one.  Since they were so rare,  even rarer than Judsons, Okrasa's etc;  I knew I'd have an impossible time of locating one so after learning how they were made I decided to make my own.  The center carb is a stock Solex pict with one important differance, it has a air correction jet of  about 220,  so it leans out at a higher rpms.  The 2 side carbs are 24mm Tillotson's,  they do not have accelerator pumps,  do have adjustable jets,  and work only on vacuum.  They are controlled by a semi progressive linkage setup that includes a torsion spring that bends at lower rpm's until the tension is surpassed and then it allows the side carbs to open up.
    The engine runs just like a normal 36hp, but it does have a little better top end then before.   My mileage is at about  28-30 mpg so it has'nt changed much,  as far as performance I can pass on the highway a little faster than before.  Thanks again for all your comments, if you have any questions, let me know.

As far as Matt's super secret project...  :-X :-X :-X   ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:34:45 am by Ninamashr »

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:05 am »

Hey welcome to the club Ninamashr. (You'll have to explain that one some time)

We have pictures of the motor but I wanna see pictures of the rest of the car. That looks sweet!
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 11:18:20 am »

Hi Nin,

Welcome to the club!
thats a very cool setup, the progressive idea isn't new but I've never seen it done on a vw air cooled engine before. A question, who made it ? and when?
It makes me wonder if something like this couldn't be used on a later engine with carb changes. I know everybody bolts on the Weber / Holly 32/36 progressives but they are such a bad choice and impossible to tune. This setup might allow for more tuning in different rpm ranges, just a thought.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 02:03:59 pm »

Since they were so rare,  even rarer than Judsons, Okrasa's etc;  I knew I'd have an impossible time of locating one so after learning how they were made I decided to make my own. 

Wecome Nin. GREAT LOOKING ENGINE & CAR. Did you have photos or a diagram to go by when you made it? Very neet pluming job with the fuel tubing.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Ninamashr

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 03:12:33 pm »

We have pictures of the motor but I wanna see pictures of the rest of the car. That looks sweet!

I'll try to post up my latest pics of the vert tonight for ya.

Ninamashr

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »

Wecome Nin. GREAT LOOKING ENGINE & CAR. Did you have photos or a diagram to go by when you made it? Very neet pluming job with the fuel tubing.

Hi Nin,

Welcome to the club!
thats a very cool setup, the progressive idea isn't new but I've never seen it done on a vw air cooled engine before. A question, who made it ? and when?
It makes me wonder if something like this couldn't be used on a later engine with carb changes. I know everybody bolts on the Weber / Holly 32/36 progressives but they are such a bad choice and impossible to tune. This setup might allow for more tuning in different rpm ranges, just a thought.

Thx guys,  I had one person tell me a while ago that the Tri-powers were made by some company in the northeast somewhere in the late 50's to early 60's.  They even made some for the later 40hp engines.  Unfortunatly they could not remember what the companies name was. 
I'm not too sure if these will work on any other type of engine, since so little is know about them.  It is very hard to get right, especially the timing of the change over to the tillotsons. There was alot of trial and error to get it to run right.
   Here is a pic of an original one that I used to make my tri-power from, the linkage is actually wrong on this pic.  It's the only one picture I have ever seen...  ???

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:27:55 pm by Ninamashr »

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »

I'm not too sure if these will work on any other type of engine, since so little is know about them.

I agree with you when it comes to VWs thats the first I've seen. Progressive linkage isn't so rare on other cars, remember the GTO, 3 x 2s with a progressive mechanical linkage. As I mentioned before Corvairs used a type of progressive on the 4 carb Corsa model. I once had a 61 T-bird that used a vacuum activated set of secondarys on a 4bbl carb. I'd think jetting could be trouble but no worse than whats out there. Its an interesting thought and thanks for the photos of your set up, just proves it can be done.

As far as Matt's super secret project...

I guess you can't give us a hint on this one! I'm hoping its not the "$50.00" rusoleum paint job on the 57' !
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Ninamashr

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:01 pm »

Here are some more pics 6T5

scarecrow

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:41 am »

Dude that's one very cool ride P#3 I love the trailer set up :icon_thumright: Did you fab that up yourself ???

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 06:36:55 am »

all I've got to say is WOW! NICE RIDE!!!

Ben Franklin

Ninamashr

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 02:23:13 pm »

Dude that's one very cool ride P#3 I love the trailer set up :icon_thumright: Did you fab that up yourself ???

all I've got to say is WOW! NICE RIDE!!!

Thanks for the compliments!!  Yeah I fabbed it myself.  Only the swivel wheel assy and the 2 hook-up arms are an original Allstate trailer.  Come to think of it, i've pretty much done everything on the car from paint, upholstery, engine and top.

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 02:34:12 pm »

Come to think of it, i've pretty much done everything on the car from paint, upholstery, engine and top.

Now I'm really impressed! Are you anyplace near So. Jersey? If so hope you can come out to one of our events with that car, I'd love to see it in person. Hey you could even bring Matt!

Ben Franklin

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 09:28:56 pm »

I guess you can't give us a hint on this one! I'm hoping its not the "$50.00" rusoleum paint job on the 57' !

Sorry Bob, I'm paying him $20.00/month to keep quiet ( check is in the mail Lupe! )  

- and no offense taken, its hard to keep track of all the cars,  - but I have a 55, same as Steveo's but European model. Funny, I think his is a month older than mine.

HEY!!  ..........Nope for the rustoleum, that would trash my car!,  >:(

Going with Sears Exterior All Weather paint.

Mauve.

Lupe, welcome to the site, glad you made it, hope you enjoy it.

and thanks!

Matt

1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 09:31:23 pm »

Thanks for the compliments!!  .............. Come to think of it, i've pretty much done everything on the car from paint, upholstery, engine and top.

Really amazing work Lupe, incredible.

Car is absolutely beautiful

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up