SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's different about this engine?  (Read 17690 times)

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
Re: What's different about this engine?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 05:35:12 am »

shocked

I'd roll it. :icon_thumright:
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 07:49:10 am »

Lupe, your car look good, but if your at a show that I'm at, don't park next to me with it.
Black Beauty will make it look bad.  banasord Ask Matt. On second thought, don't ask Matt.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:48 am »

Lupe, your car look good, but if your at a show that I'm at, don't park next to me with it.
Black Beauty will make it look bad.   Ask Matt. On second thought, don't ask Matt.

LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL

\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:43:15 pm »

Black Beauty will make it look bad.  banasord Ask Matt. On second thought, don't ask Matt.

Do ask!

m
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Ninamashr

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 04:30:32 pm »

Thanks for that great tip Jack ,any ideas that keep me from embarressing myself and my car are greatly appreciated.  I will stay as far away from Black Beauty as possible.   :icon_thumleft:

Ninamashr

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 04:45:09 pm »

Now I'm really impressed! Are you anyplace near So. Jersey? If so hope you can come out to one of our events with that car, I'd love to see it in person. Hey you could even bring Matt!

njgt,  I live in Texas so,  as much as i'd like to go see you guys, it would be real hard.   :icon_neutral:

Ninamashr

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 04:47:12 pm »

Do ask!

m

OK Matt.... I'm asking!   :icon_cool:

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »

Lupe,

Where did you get that top for your vert?

Looks really nice.

I especially like that trim - one of the beautiful things about the old verts.

I replaced my entire top, foam , window bow etc and was a little dismayed at the quality of the fit of my top. It is ok, but the sides do not come down as far as I think they should.  Got everything from Chucks Convertible co here on the east coast.

When I get some free time  888  888  I'd like to replace it with something better. I heard the canvas is tough to keep clean, but my 3 fold has a canvas, does not seem to be that bad, - but then again, it is not my daily driver like my vert. THink I should stick to vinyl for it being my daily driver.

Matt
1971 Convertible beetle

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Ninamashr

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 08:55:49 am »

Matt,  I bought the top and headliner from CIP1, it's made by TMI.  I also go a few parts from Chuck's.  The foam padding I made myself.  The quality and fit depends on the installation.  I'm sure Chuck's makes good tops but the condition of your wood and instructions make a huge differance.  Since you have a daily "salt" runner  ;D   I would probrably stick to a grained vinyl top.  They are easier to clean than the canvas ones especially if it's black. 
Here is a link on my installation...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260335

If you have to re-do yours let me know I can help.  :icon_thumleft:

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 10:28:06 am »

njgt,  I live in Texas so,  as much as i'd like to go see you guys, it would be real hard

Lupe,

good thing you live in Texas, with the kind of incredible work you do you would have most of the VW owners in New Jersey lining up at your front door for help!

Thats an incredible car when you consider you did most of the work! I'm sure the trailer gets a workout hauling the trophies home! Good luck with it and if you ever decide to take a "little" drive north be sure to look us up.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 12:14:47 pm »

Matt,    The quality and fit depends on the installation. 

That says it all Matt, you don't know what your doing.  777
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 01:01:12 pm »

That says it all Matt, you don't know what your doing.  777

kickButt

Sheesh, the abuse I take......

My first top which I put about 2 years before my last, fit very well, all the way around, but it had to come off as someone put a nice loooong hole in it  :icon_cry:

So in replacing it, I replaced the headliner, foam, bow, window surround support and roof straps. Everything was centered perfectly,  (In the 73 convert there is only one wood bow, the window surround is solid rubber under the advise of Chuck, never rots, and holds up - so far so good!)

- I followed a video that is put out by some VW convert company ( cant think of their name now) but have heard them referenced a lot in newsgroups.  Looked very good

This last top had to be stretched much more than my first one, way much more, it was a fight all the way. Everything was perfectly centered, so the only thing I can think of that is using up  my side space ( if it not a flaw in the top) is the foam on top, which I got from chucks. I think I did the install perfectly. Just putting on this top was a different experience than the last.

Lupe, saw your link - Nice work on the vert top!!, I love the Mohair headliner, that is great. Glad mine does not have that many wood bows!

When I'm done a lot of my other projects  888  I'm wanting to take the top off, and try another. There relavtively cheap .....

Thanks Lupe!

Matt

1971 Convertible beetle

― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up