SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: a riddle?  (Read 14291 times)

TRAVELER

• PLATINUM Member
Re: a riddle?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:27:37 pm »

Hey with gas being what it is, I won`t laugh! If I lived in a more urban area and did not have to drive to work as far as I do ....  Well let just say ,people said the same things when the BEETLE arrived. Good move ! Made by MB.correct? BO** BO** BO** :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:  Of course if you had the need for speed.................smart car +hyabusa=
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:59:36 pm by TRAVELER »
When life hands you a lemon,...Just eat the lemon!!!

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 06:35:32 pm »

Actually I don't live in a particlarly urban setting either. I will be commuting 140 miles (round trip) a day mostly on 295. I talked to alot of owners doing highway commutes and the consensus is that its not as bad as everyone thinks.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 08:01:18 pm »

There's cars were all over Italy. We would say OMG! Look it's another smart car. I think there is a sports car smart car too. I dunno if that is coming over seas as well.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 08:26:49 pm »

There's cars were all over Italy. We would say OMG! Look it's another smart car. I think there is a sports car smart car too. I dunno if that is coming over seas as well.

There used to be a roadster and a 4 door but they have both been discontinued.  Currently the factory only produces the ForTwo coupe and convertible.

TRAVELER

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 09:19:44 pm »

I think it`s cool! Mercedes has a hand in its production/ development don`t they? Did ya check out the you tube link? That would be too much fun!!
When life hands you a lemon,...Just eat the lemon!!!

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:05 pm »

I think it`s cool! Mercedes has a hand in its production/ development don`t they? Did ya check out the you tube link? That would be too much fun!!

Smart is a subsidiary of Mercedes.  The cars are mostly sold at MB dealerships right now.  They are built in france though.....not that that is a positive thing.

I've seen the 'busa powered smarts, they are cool.  There is a company that builds a bolt in kit for the 450 (previous model) and they are working on one for the 451 (current model)  but it kinda defeats my purpose of a fuel efficient commuter....and a Barabus turbo kit is easier ;)

Personally Id like to see the VW Lupo 3 cyl diesel swapped into it.  The motor gets 70mpg in the lupo and makes about 100hp (thats 30 more than the car has now) and the smart weighs less than a lupo.

But this one is a driver, Im not going to be messing with it much.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 08:27:39 am »

Jim, I saw a documentary on this when it was in development and the crash this car can take is amazing. The price is nice also.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 08:46:08 am »

Jim, I saw a documentary on this when it was in development and the crash this car can take is amazing. The price is nice also.

The safety design is truly amazing.  The NHTSA finally finished their review and it got 4 stars overall.  5 stars on driver side impact.  Its a sturdy little beast.

There are a few other cars in the same price point, but this one doesn't feel like an econobox, MB put some nice features in the car for safety and comfort that make this thing a bit more upscale than the average commuter car.

And its shocking how big it feels inside, I can put the seat back far enough so I cant drive it.   For those who will get the reference, one person told me it must have been designed by the guy who built the Tardis.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 10:15:10 am »

Congratulations Jim! I 've been looking at smart cars every time I'm in France and they are every where. (I'm wondering if this is the future of american autos as gas approaches $4.00 a gallon this summer) They are nice little cars, fast to accelerate and the perfect commuter car. The safety factor is a plus, being that we live in the land where most people are driving their SUV's while changing the radio station, talking on the cell phone, eating their egg Mcmuffins and combing their hair- all at the same time- while they are driving!
Looking foward to seeing it.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 10:59:16 am »

When the prices go up, I think I'm getting a Vespa PA pa pa pa pa pa
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 04:19:55 pm »

Congratulations Jim! I 've been looking at smart cars every time I'm in France and they are every where. (I'm wondering if this is the future of american autos as gas approaches $4.00 a gallon this summer) They are nice little cars, fast to accelerate and the perfect commuter car. The safety factor is a plus, being that we live in the land where most people are driving their SUV's while changing the radio station, talking on the cell phone, eating their egg Mcmuffins and combing their hair- all at the same time- while they are driving!
Looking foward to seeing it.

I definitely think the other automakers are watching to see how it is received.  Most of the Japanese car companies have similar vehicles but noone wanted to be the first to take the plunge with the US.  SmartUS itself is anticipating 12000 vehicles a year and they already have pre-orders for about 36000.  Right now there is about a 20% attrition rate of people who pre order and dont take delivery, which was good for me since I got one of those "orphans" that didnt get picked up.

I do think as an only car it would be way too impractical, at least for me.  But as a single person commuter it makes alot of sense.  Picked it up today in edison and did 68 miles on the highway before the gas gauge registered the first gallon gone.  Of course the gauge is probably not perfectly accurate but still it was fun to see it :)

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 04:41:52 pm »

Jim,

Cool choice!
The local Venutos Pizza place has one, the first I've seen.
They are small but years back my daily was an Austin Healey Bug Eye and that car was around 9 ft long. You learn real quick to stay out of the way of bigger vehicles plus you can out maneuver most of the land yachts. Hey what happened to the wagon ?
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 05:56:23 pm »

Jim,

Cool choice!
The local Venutos Pizza place has one, the first I've seen.
They are small but years back my daily was an Austin Healey Bug Eye and that car was around 9 ft long. You learn real quick to stay out of the way of bigger vehicles plus you can out maneuver most of the land yachts. Hey what happened to the wagon ?

Still got the wagon, like I said, as an only car the Smart is impractical, but the Wagon supplements it when I actually need to carry something.  Its also the dog hauler, tow vehicle, etc since wifeypoo decided it was her turn and she got rid of her SUV and got a mustang (Ive never had luck with fords but it was her choice and I gotta admit, its kinda nice)

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »

So I went to mow the lawn today and well.....this kinda put it all in perspective.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 08:52:47 pm »

LoL LoL kickAss I really gota see this.  $61$
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up