SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buggy Insurance  (Read 4192 times)

jrival

Buggy Insurance
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:52:58 pm »

I asked around at work and the answer is no, we do not insure dune buggies.  For those who don't know I work at American Collectors Insurance.  Even one of the supervisors said, "It's a shame because I've seen some beautiful dune buggies."  My guess is if enough people ask about insurance they may reconsider this policy so if you know any national buggy clubs you should get them to call often.  The 800 number is 1-800-360-2277.  Incidentally they did say to give them a call and they'd see what they can do for whatever else you need (i.e. kit cars, etc.).  Oh, and they offer club discounts.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Re: Buggy Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:14:52 am »

Joe,

Great work!  P#3 P#3
Its always been tough to insure dune buggies or kit cars in NJ. I've had the same insurance company on the Bradley since 95'. At the time Condon & Skelly was the only game in town that would touch a kit car. They stopped writing policys sometime back but as long as I don't cancel my coverage I'm "grandfathered' in. I'm sure this is a gray area for them since the quality of each build will vary from car to car and its tough to set a standard for every vehicle. Like you wrote its best if as a group anybody looking for coverage should contact them as a club member and if theres enough interest they might consider it.

thanks for checking this out, I know it will help somebody out there!     
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:54:13 pm »

ROFLMAO....thats reaaaallly funny to me since Im sitting here with a Meyers Manx and an insurance card from American Collectors which says Meyers Manx right on it.  They do insure buggies, but it takes a bit of work.

jrival

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:37:21 pm »

Jim,
When you got it insured did you say Meyer's Manx or dune buggy?  It seems that saying dune buggy will get you a real quick "I'm sorry but we don't insure dune buggies."  They might not have known what a Meyers Manx is.

jthw8

• PLATINUM Member
    • MisfittoysRacing
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:48:11 pm »

Jim,
When you got it insured did you say Meyer's Manx or dune buggy?  It seems that saying dune buggy will get you a real quick "I'm sorry but we don't insure dune buggies."  They might not have known what a Meyers Manx is.

They know exactly what it is, they have photos.  We had a long going back and forth about it which included me proving the historical significance of a Manx and providing written proof from Bruce Meyers himself that this was a genuine Manx.  I also had to submit a schedule of use for the first year outlining every event and other use I intended to drive the car for.

Their policy is they will not insure buggies, but if you press the right buttons and are a general pain in the butt, everything is open for discussion.

scarecrow

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:55:44 am »

My ride was originaly a Baja Bug. Speaking only for myself, I could find no "Collector Car" insurance company that would insure it. They all said the same thing "we consider a Baja bug a dune buggy" and we can't, won't, do not want to insure you & your buggy. kickButt. As a final resort I put on a stock front clip. Once I did that Hagerty was willing to insure.  :icon_cheers:

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:20:30 am »

Almost sound like they think you will resort to dune hopping!
Isn't why people build "dune buggies"!

Stupid reason and there should be some kind of waver for "street driven only" cars.

I don't understand why most of these companys will insure a 500hp Cobra kit car but
have a real problem with anything else. Could it be the generous use of the word "replica" ?
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

jrival

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:08 am »

Tom, the owner and founder of American Collectors, started the company because he had trouble finding insurance for his classic Corvette and saw a niche.  Maybe you've got the same thing on your hands; so find an underwriter.

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Buggy Insurance-Winner!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:55:55 pm »

For three years I called, wrote letters, tried everything except banging on their doors and could not get Dune Buggy insurance in NJ.

At the Atco Bug-Out I ran into a Dune Buggy Club. The same fellow that attended our 2007 “Dust-em Off Cruise”. He gave me a company that will write insurance for Dune Buggys in New Jersey. I called and within two weeks had insurance on my Ocelot- the first time since 1968. And very reasonable!!![

The company is “Rally” (out of Chicago?)

The number is 1-800-801-1823
jt
Pages: [1]   Go Up