SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need new tires  (Read 4526 times)

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
I need new tires
« on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:34 pm »

Trying to locate tires for the 72 super, cant find any locally. Think stock size is 165/80r15. A size close to stock would be ok but dont want a big bulge in the sidewall.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

dawelder

Re: I need new tires
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »

I had goodyear on delsea drive in Glassboro order mine but they were 100 ea and they took 3 days to get there. I think he said they were made in holland.

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:56:09 pm »

Check out Tire Rack. They ship to you. You can put in the tire size and the results will show what they have available. They even have a list of shops that provide you with pricing for mount / ballance.
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:38 pm »

talk to club member KiKi, ( Chris) Hes manager of a Firestone dealership over in Glassboro
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:32 am »

Dad they have stock tires on J-Bugs 165 SR 15. Dunno if you saw them, sure you could get dagrossa to mount them for you.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:58:41 am »

69.95 but shipping will probably kill you in the end. I know when I looked I had trouble finding the "stock" size locally. Just Tires had two brands that I never heard of, So I went with the over sized look instead with a name I've heard of.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

Ann Mezger

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:16 am »

Just Tires had two brands that I never heard of, So I went with the over sized look instead with a name I've heard of.
Was one of the brands Kumho? If so, that is a Goodyear Tire - Goodyear (who owns Just Tires) manufactures Kumho & they are actually a very good quality tire. I've got them on a few of my cars & have had no complaints.
Tire Rack is a good option if you have a way to mount the tires on your own. Most wheel & tire shops will do this for you for a small fee, but you really need to be careful that they don't hand the job over to the retarded shop monkey unless you don't care about rims getting f'd up. Due to the high cost of some wheels & the overwhelming habit of damaging them, most places have adopted the procedure of having you sign a waiver now which will excuse them from having to pay for their mistakes. So again - BE VERY CAREFUL with whom you trust. Also, if you have a wide 5 pattern, it will be a little more difficult to find someplace with the proper adaptor for mounting & balancing.
If you don't mind a bit of a drive or are ever in a jam, I've got a very good guy at the Just Tires near Wilmington / Prices Corner, DE. Dominick Goalie, the manager there is absolutely the best. We've been dealing with him for a very long time & if you tell him we sent you, he will hook you up on the price (+ there's no sales tax in DE!) knows exactly what he's doing, cracks the whip on the Nit Wits, will give you a complete break down & explaination of the tires to help you choose the best option, can order anything you want, & best of all - Customer Service is excellent!   :-*

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »

Thanks for all the replies. Found the tires @ cip1 for 60 bucks ea  plus 60 for shipping. Some others had better prices but delivery was anywhere from 3 to 8 wks.  Sears, my favorite tire store, quoted 48 dollars for the Kumho tires  but had a 3 wk delivery. And the three wks was a guess. The folks @ cip1 said that they keep a large stock of Ghia, Bus and  bug tires.

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:36 pm »

I got my new tires today. Looked them over inside and out and they look great, Yeh,like I'm an expert. Set the new tires along side the old and they are exactly the same  & with a fairly aggressive tread, like I know what the H I'm talking about. If anyone wants to take a look see before they are mounted give me a shout or e-mail me. One  week shipping from California via UPS which I think is pretty good.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 12:15:47 am »

Looks like the crazy neighbor got a hold of your bug! Then I remembered you were getting your tires installed. You do know the meeting is 2 weeks away =-)
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

Pages: [1]   Go Up