SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why i'm not going anywhere soon  (Read 2454 times)

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
Why i'm not going anywhere soon
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »

Thought I'd post pictures of why I didn't show on saturday and why I'm not driving weezie around on probably the most beautiful weekend end ever.

This is a picture of my alternator. It sits on top of the fan housing which is cast metal.

I did the alternator conversion myself years ago because there was no "kit" to do it from so everything is homemade, hence the rough looking bracket. If the alternator is not lined up perfect and the bolts not tight- the belts sqeuel like a stuck pig, which I'm sure some of you have heard. Friday night after spending 3 hours detailing my car I decided to re align the alternator because it had been screaming lately. I figured I would do it saturday morning because it only takes about 10 minutes. So after tightening things up, I start the car and I hear the scream. Damn. Well usually it stops after about 30 seconds and then I'm cool. I'll readjust it at the show. I drive off and it is still screaming and getting louder. I pull back into my drive way. Shut off the car and look out back. The pulley on the alternator is mad hot as well as the belt. The alternator, I can physicaaly move around with my hands. i look at the bolts and I notice this

The small crack you see in front of the bolt is in the rear fan housing. I can lift the bolt out with my fingers. That sux.
Well of course this is one of those parts that no one makes anymore so luckily I found one on the samba- front half only $40 plus shipping. Probably take 6 days to get here if he mails it on tuesday.
GGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
I've been waiting to drive for 3 weeks now.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Re: Why i'm not going anywhere soon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:58:29 pm »

Hey John,

that sucks Big Time!
Just a thought can that housing be welded ? possibly aluminum or by tig? and if so
would it make sense to retap the hole and set new threads.

Just a thought, we do know a "welder".  weldface

\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »

Well i always save my parts so next time I'm in Jack/Pats neck of the woods I'll bring it with me.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:50 pm »

Well i always save my parts so next time I'm in Jack/Pats neck of the woods I'll bring it with me.

good idea, he might be able to build it up and make it stronger with a welded fillet.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up