SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collingswood May Fair  (Read 4797 times)

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Collingswood May Fair
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:29:05 pm »

Guys,

Its taken me just about 24 hours to finally settle down enough after the show yesterday. hey great weather, good food, some of the best cars ever! and lots of great conversations with the other guys in the club and spectators checking out our rides!
Collingswood had all that and then some.

I got a call around 8:30 from Joe T, he was already at the CVS parking lot, a bit early but when I pulled up this is what I saw...

Joe had the ocelot decked out, complete with a "Boogie board"! that thing looked like it rolled off of the set of  'Beach Blanket Bingo" or some other surfin movie!

In just a few minutes Frank pulled up with the Mrs and his nephew 'Lucky" tailed by Danny and the "New & Improved Herbie"...

I was driving my 72 since the Bradley is awaiting some "exploratory surgery" for a slipping clutch cable tube...

You might notice my "pet cat" Winkey sitting on the back deck, hes my newest addition  and loves riding in the beetle, more about him at another time!

The biggest surprise showed up just a few minutes later...
Our very own Jay "Bugaru" pulled up in what was to be one of the wildest "chop top" beetles I've ever seen.

Now this car didn't have one of Jays Subie conversions but rather a "very Healthy" sounding 1776. The chop job was outstanding and with the 'flip up" front end the car looked ready for the track or some serious "street racing".

We arrived at the show and there was already one club member parked, and with the strangest beetle ever...

Mike C parked his very red T-bird just a few cars down from our crew. Now Mike is talking about selling this beauty and building a V8 beetle, but after thinking about it I have a suggestion, just keep the T-bird and swap in a VW motor! That would certainly be an improvement! and something you would never see again!

Unfortunately thats all the photos I took, I forgot to charge the battery in the camera so it died after taking the last photo. I know Joe took a ton of photos so I hope he will post them. There was just too many nice cars, and it seemed many that I've never seen at a show before. One big hit was a guy who had a Ford econoline pickup, which looked very much like a VW single cab. This monster was painted bright yellow, had a very large V8 engine in the bed! and a very prominent set of wheelie bars sticking out the back. I asked the guy if the thing needed the wheelie bars and he told me that the first time he "got on it" the front end shot straight up and he was left sitting back and looking "at the sky". I guess the bars got welded on real quick after that!

Now I'm a firm believer in when I do a show i go to enjoy myself, the cars, talking with the spectators and spending time with other club members. If I should win a trophy then its just "icing on the cake". With so many nice cars and limited numbers of trophys I didn't envy the judges. When it came trophy time unfortunately we weren't very lucky. I don't know how the other guys felt but I had a great time. I did manage to talk with the "second in command" from the Old Goats Club. We were placed in a "modified vehicle" class since all of our cars were anything but stock VWs. This put us in competition with the likes of some very custom street rods and other wild hunks of "American Iron". The gentlemen from the Goats club told me that the classes are set and they know just how many trophies they would need to fill those classes so setting up a special class for just our cars was impossible and also really not very fair to other s in the show. He did mention that if our club would let them know at least 1 month ahead they could set up a class just for our cars. I don't think this is such a bad idea and it seems like a fair way to keep us from having to compete with the $100,000.00 customs that also would be in a modified class. OK so next year we will just need a firm commitment from everybody and I'd be happy to make the call.   

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:08:18 pm by njgt-1 »
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: Collingswood May Fair
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »

Collingswood May Fair, MORE PHOTOS from Joe T.

I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:18 pm »

the purple Barron!!

Ya got to love it! I'm sure Collingswood has never seen an outfit like that !
way to go Joe!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »

Nice pics Bob. Sorry the camera went dead on you - also - thanks for 'representing' me!
I would love to move forward on the V8Vdub but things must sell first!
Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:16:18 am by carfolite73Super »
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:25:40 am »

but things must sell first!
Mike

Mike,

its too bad, thats a really nice old ford! Always loved the T-birds, when I was about 19 I had a 61 bird. Great car but even then it kept me broke and gas was only around $.32 a gallon! the 390 engine could pass anything on the road except gas stations!  burnrubber

Ben Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up