SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you insure these damn things? Were to get insurance?  (Read 7384 times)

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member

I didn't even get to dmv and I have trouble already. Called up my insurer AIG, that I've had for 9 years to add the 72 beetle to the policy. They asked if it will be in  shows and I said yes but it will be driven also.And then  we start the question and answer session and I get refered to  American  Collectors Insurance who says I need a garage or have to live in a gated community and will not insure my bug. This is all after another question and answer period.  Why the hell do need a garage?  So then its back to AIG who now has a different story. I tell them I want liability and insure the bug as a daily driver. Now the car is too old to insure. "we will not insure a 30 year old car", says Mike from AIG.  Why didn't they tell me that before? This I thought was strange because AIG insured my 54  Ford pick up for years and that was well over 30 years old. What a bunch of crap. These people must make up the rules as they go along. I think I'll take my 5 vehicles and go shopping for insurance.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
Re: How do you insure these damn things? Were to get insurance?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:14:07 pm »

I would call back AIG and just tell them your not showing it. When you say your showing, they think you have a $50,000 drop dead show car. If you tell them it's a daily driver and that you just need the basic insurance to drive it, I'm sure they will want to keep you and your 5 other vehicles. Do tell them if you think the car is worth more than blue book- tell them what it would cost to replace the vehicle as it is today.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:28:17 pm »

Yep, I explained that I will use the vehicle as a daily driver. But they still refuse to insure it because it is over 30 yrs old.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:57 pm »

Yep, I explained that I will use the vehicle as a daily driver. But they still refuse to insure it because it is over 30 yrs old.

I had a similar problem years ago with the Bradley. I called my then ins. company, NJ Cure.( they suck so they are long gone! ) and requested a rider on my policy for just liability. They flat out said "No" and hung up on me. I called them back and tried to explain, I got hung up on again!  m-d Now I'm pissed so I decided to contact the state insurance commission. A gentlemen explained that what they were doing was against state regulations and they had to offer me at least liability if I had other cars insured by them. I had to file a complaint against them and the state ruled in my favor. They gave me liability but they weren't too happy about it. I also paid through the nose for that coverage and they wanted me to sign a sheet that required me to not tell anybody who was insuring the car - I didn't and again called the state and found out that was illegal also. After a year or so I reinsured the car with Condon & Skelly, they still insure it plus the 72 beetle & my corvair, all this for just under $600.00 a year!

The garage issue is so that the car is protected, the idea is if its a collector car then you need to preserve it as much as possible so parking it in the open isn't allowed. I've got 3 collector insured cars and 1 2 car garage, ask me at the next meeting how I manage that!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:41:16 pm »

AIG just insured my 70 T-2.

I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »

How did you manage that Jack, is there a trick?  I got quotes from other places which are ridiculous.

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:18 pm »

Jack, was the insurance AIG or  ACI ,Automobile Collectors Insurance.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:22:48 pm »

I just called and said I wanted to add a car. They had NO clue what a VW camper was (nither did DMV) so after I told them what it was for the forth time and checking with the underwriters a number of times I think they settled for Station wagon or Campmobile. Buses were called Station Wagons. I forget witch one they setteled on.

It is AIG, and my Bug is with Amarican Collectors Insurance. I am going to switch to ACI as soon as I get QQ tags for it.

Call Hagerty, and yes you have a garage.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

I have allstate, good price for my antique, and DO NOT need a garage to insure!

M
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:00:17 pm »

Hi  Matt, do you have all your vehicles insured by Allstate.

Ann Mezger

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:36 am »

I've got all my old VW's insured through Grundy. They specialize in classic & collector vehicles & claim that no make or model will be excluded. (however they refused my GTO because it's still too new  >:( ) You can fill out the forms online to get a quote & the policy's are dirt cheap. I think my 'vert is @ $175 for the year. I do have 8 cars that I can drive at any given time, so none of my cars are listed as "primary" or daily transportation. I'm not sure if they will insure something as a daily driver, but it's worth looking into. If you continue to have problems, you may want to consider telling them it's a pleasure vehicle & limit the mileage you report to under 3000 a year. If something does happen & they ask about the odometer (very unlikely) you can tell them the original speedo broke & you replaced it with a used, higher mileage working speedo find to explain it away. If they ask why you were driving it in the middle of the week, you tell them it's VW club day or you were driving to / from your mechanic, etc.   It 's not a big deal.  ;)

Some hints on what helps get a good policy - claiming limited mileage, having a garage to store it in, limited horse power & not using it for racing...........  :-X, etc.

Hope that helps.

dawelder

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:43 am »

It was simple to insure through American Collectors insurance when I had all my opels. I just lied about everything. :rolleyes:

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:46 am »

Thanks for the tips Ann. I got a quote from  Grundy yesterday and it was good. Also got a good quote from Hagerty. All of the other places I contacted wanted to insure it for more than what my premium is for the Suburban. I can't figure that out. I even got a quote from a carrier that according to the NJ state insurance department is not accepting new business in NJ. Their quote was twice as much as the next lowest quote. I threw that one in the trash.

Ann Mezger

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »

Some insurance companies just plain suck. They want you to pay them a fortune for something the law requires you to have, yet the minute you need to file a claim, they try to weasle out. On top of that, living in Jersey isn't helping you.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that if possible, you'll want to get a stated value policy. This is very important if you have done restoration or have a modified engine, etc. You'll need reciepts or some other documentation to support the inventory / investment, but it can really proove invaluable should anything happen. For example, say you have a $15,000 turbo engine installed & one day you're driving down the road minding your own business when you get rear ended by some jackass not paying attention.  >:( The insurance weasle who probably doesn't know the engine is in the rear surely would have no clue how much damage can be done to the motor, much less how much it cost to build / replace  >:( without reciepts. If you don't have the right coverage, they'll get away with giving you $800 & you're at a loss for everything else.  :'(

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 08:20:25 pm »

Hi  Matt, do you have all your vehicles insured by Allstate.

Yes I do, not sure if that lowers the price in my case.

Talked to Allstate rep, about 6 mo ago just to talk about things

They dont really keep track of the odometer - but they may when you have an accident, but to our shows, gas, etc you will be way under the limit. Pa has a limit anyway I think.........

No garage needed
They accept crusin ( some places do not) as they said they understand cars have to be run around to keep "healthy". SO if you are crusin and something happens, should be ok. Occasionally I cruise on my country back roads  drive&&

( if your car is hit at Acme, resturaunt, any store, friends house, you are out of luck - unless you were on your way to or from show

driving to ...
Shows ok
Get gas ok
repairs ok
Jack Kessels house ok

Pay 2x a year, $55.00  ( just droped from $60.00!)   :icon_thumleft:  ;D; insured for 15K

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up