SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Volkswagen Haters  (Read 13238 times)

scarecrow

Volkswagen Haters
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:24:26 pm »

I’ve made the mistake of involvement with two local clubs now that claim to be open to all makes & models of  foreign of domestic cars. Only to find thru the obvious actions of club hierarchy that Volkswagens in fact are not welcome to participate. The actions taken are so silly, petty & immature that I won’t even go into them. But I will single out that owners of Muscle Cars & Street Rods seem to have a definite bad attitude towards to Volkswagen  & their owners. And the Chevy guys are the worst of the bunch. I went to one show in Southampton where they told me to park next to this really primo El Camino. The El Camino owner was so upset about this that he went to the show organizers and asked that  he be parked somewhere else. Being a true car guy I appreciate  a wide variety of cars & trucks which is way I’m at a loss to understand these attitude’s.  Is it just my imagination or have others  VW owners experienced this. 

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Re: Volkswagen Haters
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:32:19 pm »

Dad and I went to a car show in prospect park and we were looking at soul_rebel's VW... which was parked next to some muscle car with the gas guzzler engine. He saw us walking towards him and when we turned to look at the VW he gave us a look. As I left the car show, some guy said to me so you one first place? I just looked at him and smiled while leaking oil onto his shoe.
 vwlogo vwlogo vwlogo vwlogo vwlogo (love (love (love (love (love (love

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:11 pm »

Mark,

good topic. I think that argument is as old as "Chevy VS Ford" or "Mopar VS whatever".
There is a very "anti foreign" thing going around but I've found it mostly used against the kids with the asian cars who are "Fast & Furious" wanbees. Certain clubs and events are known to be less than friendly to VWs and we don't support those groups or shows and thats just since its only putting $$ in their pockets through registration fees.

Now I have found that in the last couple of years with the shows we've done as a group we've been very accepted especially by the general population. Most people over 35 remember a time when every other car was a VW and I hear over and over again "the VWs are back". As far as the guy with the Elcamino, I've heard of Corvette guys getting pissed if the vet next to them isn't painted a complimenting color! Your best effort is to ignore these bone heads and not worry about some guys attitude. Just keep doing shows that you feel ( or we as a club pick ) will be fun after all thats the real reason we do them. 

I ran into lots of this 13 years ago when I started showing my Bradley GT. At that time "Kit Cars" were 3 notches lower than "pond scum". I kept at it and finally people began to notice the car, the work that went into it, and the fact it was just different! Eventually so  did the show promoters, 43 or 44 trophies later its all history. Trophies are nice but having people come up and tell me how much they like the car is much better!

Just one last thought, hang around at the end of a show and count how many of these "Big Bad Muscle Cars" get rolled up onto a trailer! 777 At least you built & drove yours!  :icon_cheesygrin:
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »

Hm-mmmmm Been there also and received the same attitude from some of these mussel heads. With gas jumping almost a buck a month these are the guys that can’t dump there big mussel junk. I’ve still got some local mussel head treating to jump me because my little car beat his big mussel lead-sled. Soon there be auguring about who’s wheelchair is quicker to the lunch room.   drive&&

Oh yea  BO** Oh yea- Baby
I really feel for them  s0k

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

scarecrow

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »

Certain clubs and events are known to be less than friendly to VWs and we don't support those groups or shows and thats just since its only putting $$ in their pockets through registration fees.

Just keep doing shows that you feel ( or we as a club pick ) will be fun after all thats the real reason we do them. 

I have lerned my lesson. If it's not SJVC recommended, I'm not going. Heck I get more attention taking the long way to the tobacco store every Sunday anyway. And now I know why. The people I run into are in thier daily driver & have nothing to prove.

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:35:59 pm »

Heck I get more attention taking the long way to the tobacco store every Sunday anyway. And now I know why. The people I run into are in thier daily driver & have nothing to prove.

Good point!
I get stopped everytime I take the 72 out by somebody who is in the middle of a "nostalga fit". The Bradley gets more of a reaction, I had a woman tailgate me into the middle of Haddonfield and cut me off in her SUV. She got me at a light so I had to pull to the right and when I did she jumps out with a camera! "I just want to take a picture for my grandson!", nice but you could have asked!

I've been reading lots about the current "rat rod" movement. Seems like theres lots of motor heads out there that just want to drive em and don't care much about fancy paint. Funny how thats catching on with the volksrod crowd and some of the "rockabilly" types. Think form vs. function and it starts to make sense. Even bikes are going that route, saw an brand new Harley the other day with a flat black paint job & flamed pin stripes, think it was from the factory that way.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

cherrybomb

• Silver Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:17 pm »

Mark,
 At that time "Kit Cars" were 3 notches lower than "pond scum".

At the time???  so when did this change? 

Forget the discriminatory A-holes, if the problem for them is that you irk them, then let them fume in their own hatred.  Not worth the time to be dragged to their level or let yourself get upset. 

Just be happy that the people that drive VW's are GENERALLY more accepting.  Yes even the VW crowd discriminated against Kit cars for many many years (ask me how I know  :rolleyes:).  Drive what you like and enjoy it.

:icon_cherry:

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »

I believe what makes them sooooooo mad is all of the attention a daily driver Vdub gets compared to their 30K+ just like every other muscle car doesn’t get.  And besides all the ladies love the Vdubs, yet another reason for the muscle heads to be annoyed.  I have had a few classic cars, and by far the people with VW's are the best group I have met. The worst were the Chevy guys, the guys in the Old Celica Clubwere good, but not much of a presence in the area.
This was my 1981 Sunchaser, quite rare  only 2500 made,
the front top was a fiberglass targa, and the back
dropped like a convertable:

Just my  2CENTS

Cheers,

Marc  stoned#

1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 01:50:59 pm »

That Elcamino wouldn't be that green 'WallyGator' one, would it. He is something else. He was nice enought to me when I was next to him with my Tbird. You know - telling me how great his car is (and it is nice) But to top it off, I had to give him a jump with my 50 somthing year old car because he couldn't afford a new battery. And he didn't even have his own jumper cables!
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:11 pm »

He is something else. He was nice enought to me when I was next to him with my Tbird. You know - telling me how great his car is (and it is nice)

Yea, probaly drive you nuts with the "Wally Gator" theme music he plays over & over, nice car stupid theme!

At the time???  so when did this change?

as soon as they saw my Bradley!!!  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Actually I've learned to have a "thick skin" theres enough idiots out there who have no idea what they are looking at. Its usually some 500lb dork who has to brag to his 400lb wife & the two 250lb kids " hey thats just a Volkswagen with a fancy body, see you just take the body off and bolt on that one" This dork has no idea how the car was really built, also couldn't fit in it and least of all do I feel like taking time to educate that lump! At most I say "if it was so  easy wheres the rest of em? " If you really want to have fun follow this disfunctional tribe around and listen how much Mr. wonderful knows about Chevys, Fords and everything else!

This also applies to stock VWs also, how many time have you heard " Hitler built em", or "Why don't you put a Porsche motor in it"?? - sound familiar??

Ben Franklin

cherrybomb

• Silver Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »

Actually I've learned to have a "thick skin"...

Thick skin is a requirement, face it there is not a car on the road that get's less respect or more disdain than a kit car....all for something that requires more work, knowledge etc.....you would think that any 'car guy' could at least understand or apprecciate that (even if it's not their cup of tea).  It's all good tho, as you say "where's all the rest of them?", I'm very happy having something that is my own and no one elses.  BO**

This dork has no idea how the car was really built.......

I used to often come back to my parked car (on the strip, hangouts, etc.) to find a small crowd.  Inevitably some idiot would always be 'Explaining' everything about the car to the rest of the group.  I would always just walk up, act stupid, maybe ask a bunch of ?'s etc.  These 'experts' were always Waaayyyy off base.  I always got a laugh, when after all the hot air I would just say "sorry, your wrong"  ./// and get in and drive away........

how many times have you heard....

how many times have you heard...
honk the horn (to prove VW status) It never worked on me (chevy + airhorns were installed LOL  shocked)

All in all the VW crowd is by FAR proven themselves to have more 'class' then every other crowd.
 :icon_cherry:

scarecrow

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 05:28:53 pm »

That Elcamino wouldn't be that green 'WallyGator' one, would it.
No it was an imaculent big block. Last Generation, I guess mid 70's. I realy should not single these guys out but at this last show I went to it was about 50% late model Chevy's. And the weird thing is that I emailed the VP of the club to see if I was welcome, he said absolutely. But just like the other club that opinion was not shared by other club members & hierarchy... A guy on Volks Rods.com hit the nail on the head though, "Rat Rods are all about bucking the trend, the car in & of itself is a protest against to the very people that disrespect it. Be proud that you accomplished what you set out to do. Hold your head up high and enter more high end shows and piss more of them off. Job well done." Food for thought, I may just do that  ;) End of rant.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:51 pm »

I’ve still got some local mussel head treating to jump me because my little car beat his big mussel lead-sled.

YOU NEVER GET JUMPED ALONE WHEN YOU RIDE WITH SJVWC!!!!

We will load everyone in Most Beutiful War Wagon and go kickButt kickButt kickButt with ya JayBird!!! Let me at um...fight=
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:18:22 pm by 6d4vdub (jack) »
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 06:51:14 pm »

Guys,

I guess we have to look at both sides, for every Yahoo spectator that has said something stupid about my cars I still think of 10 honest people who have given me " nice car", "wow I had one like that", "you did a great job". The same goes for the other people in car shows, I've had lots of compliments from fellow show participants and even a few surprises. We can't let the BS crowd stop us from doing shows and events if that were the case I would have quit long ago.

I think you will find A-holes in every group, even VW shows! I've had people come up to me at VW shows and accuse me of "killing" a good VW by making a kit car out of it. Never mind the damn thing sat in a field before I got it and was actually turned into a kit way back in the 70's. A couple of "Bone Heads" even added to the stupidity by telling me I was wrong restoring a Bradley and I should have put the "original body" back!!

The best way to deal with these "idiot types" is to keep on going to shows, the more the organizers see you the more you are accepted. Sooner or later it hits them, "Hey that guy is alright, he came back and the car is interesting".  You can only look at rows of camaros, mustangs & chevells for so long before it gets boring. If you really want to piss them off just hang in there, when people will walk past a row of Corvettes to take a look at the "Funky Volkswagen" then you know you did a number on them! They will sit there with their stack of $10.00 trophies and their $65,000.00 muscle car & trailer scratching their heads and wondering why you came back!

Ben Franklin

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:24:41 pm »

Actually I've learned to have a "thick skin" theres enough idiots out there who have no idea what they are looking at. Its usually some 500lb dork who has to brag to his 400lb wife & the two 250lb kids "
This also applies to stock VWs also, how many time have you heard " Hitler built em"

Hey are you talking about me and my family, besides that I had a uncle named Adolf. Watch it there Mr Bobby Gt

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up