SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Pulley Removal Installation  (Read 15239 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Engine Pulley Removal Installation
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:26:21 pm »

Does anyone have any info on Engine Pulley Removal/Installation? Found a black degree pulley for 41 bucks wanted to find out what I'm getting myself into before I buy it.

Thanks,

Greg
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Re: Engine Pulley Removal Installation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:12:36 pm »

Not too bad, if you are very careful, you can pry, but some can be very stubborn.

Did one once while engine was in, had a nice little special pry bar, and it came off without much prob.
Friend of mine tried it, could not get his off

There is a cheap puller you can buy, and I think it will accommodate what little space you have in the engine compartment to pull it.

Why do you want a degree wheel? - looks?

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:00:30 am »

Just to be on the safe side of where my timing should be. I'd feel more comfortable setting it by numbers instead of notches that may be wrong.  I also have a feeling that the one on it is the wrong pulley.
Thanks for the info Matt, I'll keep an eye out for the degree pulley...puller.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:09 am »

Greg,

Just make sure what you buy is marked correctly. Sometimes the numbers can be off a bit on the aftermarket stuff. You just might be better off marking your stock pulley with a notch or something that won't rub off. All you need is your timing mark, TDC ( top dead center ) and BDC ( bottom dead center ).
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:22 am »

do you have any brands that u can reccomend? would i be able to buy a stock pully by the engine code i know the one on it has two notches and a dimple. and paint for bdc
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:32:25 pm »

on a stock engine its not really necessary, no power increase just for looks only.

I'd try to figure out what marks are on your pulley, and just repaint the stocker. Then you can always scribe a couple of lines or put a small notch in the 3 spots.

just my   2CENTS
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:46:19 pm »

it would be for ease  of tuning not for power increse. maybe dad and i can pull the first plug out and remark the pully. which plug do u pull to find bdc or do u just measure 180 around from tdc
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:22:32 pm »

OK now I have to go into my "Zen Master" personality......Ahem....  Poof

Honorable Greg-a-son..    Chinnese

the way to the much honored path to vw enlightment  vwlogo can be found in the sacred book of all knowledge, the famous and many times forgotten book written by Saint Muir,  !5! For it is written in the sacred scripts that the way to true "air cooled enlightment" may be found in this all knowing publication known as "the idiot book". Many have followed down the evil path of "Bolt on accessories"  :evil: :evil: :evil: only to find their soul wrenched by the poor performance their sacred VW gives in return.  m-d2 Remember grasshopper.. all the answers you seek have been through questions others have already asked and you may learn from their knowledge or be struck down by the "Sheer white light of stupidity"  184 for not following their trail........

OK changing back to Bob....   Poof

Yea, like the zen dude said check out the idiot book he has a complete section on finding out what you want to know!

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:34:21 pm »

im just going to have to keep my book at work. i had one copy here and must have taken it home. i will read up one it tonight after practice
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

scarecrow

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:45:47 pm »

It only goes on one way. To be sure make sure #1 cylinder is at TDC. Distributor rotor will be at #1 cylinder fire postion which is marked on the distributor unlessless it's been reindexed. Excisting pully should be at TDC. Speaking only for myself, the old one came off & new one went on with no problems. Numbers on my new pully were dead on. I used a Scat unit
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:58:01 pm by scarecrow »

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:08:44 pm »

If you go to what you think is TDC as outlined above, you can pull #1 plug (closest to passenger) put a pencil down the hole eraser end first, and turn the pulley wheel a little either way. Keep ya finger on the pencil point so you can feel movment. Where the pencil is now at TDC, you should not feel any upward travel, just downward as the pencil is riding on the piston and this is TDC.  If you are notched at TDC with the crankcase, and feel downward movment from this point when you turn the pulley wheel then............hmmm....

I think this is what Master Bob was alluding to.  - BUT DO READ the Muir. good to double check me; always. ( my disclaimer)

Long time ago I bought a stick-on degree pulley ring  sticker that goes onto degreed pulley rings if/when their numbers get rubbed off.  I keep it as a check on pulley wheels like what you have to check the notches. I just hold the TDC label of the ring against the pulley TDC and look at the degrees of the other notches. Not Nachos, notches!

Can look for that in catalogs if you want.  But really not necessary. Remember your distrib model determines it's ATDC/BTDC for stock engines anyway.....

M
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:57:44 pm »

Hey don't you remember the famous words of those who have worked on these engines for years, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". You have the marks (notches),on the pulley already and I have the white paint to mark the correct notch. I think it's 5 deg BTDC.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »

I'm with your Dad on this one. Your pulley was made for your car. The aftermarket one was made for any car. Learn the notches on the flywheel you have.  Hell, if you want to drive out here this weekend, I'll even show you how to use it.  sjvwc.ico
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:04:54 pm »

Hey don't you remember the famous words of those who have worked on these engines for years, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". You have the marks (notches),on the pulley already and I have the white paint to mark the correct notch. I think it's 5 deg BTDC.

Poof Honorable Greg-a-son..,

you should heed the words of wisdom from Pappa-san, he speaks with the wisdom of the ages and the fire from the great dragon of knowledge which rules the VW universe!  Chinnese

Translation:

Ok kid listen to your Dad he's right! 

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »

Air-cooled said my timing has to be TDC not 5 Before TDC. So I dunno who to go with. The motor, or the instructions that came with their distributor. I'm going to double check with them too see what's going on.

I tuned it last time to the Muir book and it still ran like crap. Maybe I'll just open up my wallet and take it somewhere.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up