SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 10004 times)

skymath

Re: Thermostat
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:30 pm »

ignorance is temporary if you have the will to learn and an open mind.

amen!  I was curled up with my Idiot book last night before bed...  The more I learn about VWs the more I want to learn.  It's becoming obsessive... :)

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »

Reading that article, I realized that I don't have the wheel, the wire and possibly even the flaps

Greg,

go back and read it again, it referrs to a type II engine not whats in your beetle.  :wallbash: You don't have the wire, wheel or those type of flaps.

amen!  I was curled up with my Idiot book last night before bed...  The more I learn about VWs the more I want to learn.  It's becoming obsessive... :)

Sky,

the idiot book is a good start but if you want some real excitement try curling up with the "Bentley Manual". much racier!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

skymath

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 06:48:44 pm »

what is the Bentley Manual?  I've seen references to it....

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:16 pm »

what is the Bentley Manual?  I've seen references to it....

its the "factory" manual for different year VWs. No cutsy drawings or home made tools like the idiot book but lots of heavy duty tech stuff. When you get bored with Muir then its time for bentley but be ready for some tough terminology. the idiot book is great for the newbie and later on the bentley will fill in the blanks that Muir misses.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

skymath

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »

excellent I'll have to get one.  maybe it will explain how to get the windshield defrost heat to turn off.  not that i'm complaining--it was raining monday morning on the way to work and I was very glad it worked.  but in 92 degree weather it's probably not as important.... heheh

sky

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 11:55:53 pm »

;D Well that explains everything. 

These were the flaps I was talking about.   http://vw-resource.com/vanes_thermostat.html

I'm going to recheck for the linkage in the front of the dog house before work. My luck I will need a complete cooling system.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 06:13:17 am »

its the "factory" manual for different year VWs. No cutsy drawings or home made tools like the idiot book but lots of heavy duty tech stuff. When you get bored with Muir then its time for bentley but be ready for some tough terminology. the idiot book is great for the newbie and later on the bentley will fill in the blanks that Muir misses.

stick with the Muir manual until your comfortable enough to do most work yourself.  It may be "cutesy" but it's a hella of alot easier to understand when your just starting out with these cars. You can buy a Bentley for $75 but it's probably going to work as a $75 paperweight for you for at least another year.
Spend your money on parts first.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43:52 am »

john's right about that sky. i start with muir the check the vw resource site and the check the bently. if had the best of luck using the vw resource site. stay away from hayes unless your can buy it off the dollar menu.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:46 am »

a hella of alot easier to understand when your just starting out with these cars
Its true, Bentley is good if you need specific details like the angle of the valve seats or what the tolerrance of valve guide deflection is. Stick with the idiot book for now and if you can't find an answer theres always the club or the internet. Sometimes I forget that not everybody wants to get deep into the interworkings of their car and the basic stuff is just as important.

Ben Franklin

skymath

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 12:35:44 pm »

nods--yeah there is certainly PLENTY for me to learn in the muir book.  the questions I have that aren't covered are so far things like "what does this lever on my dash do?" rather than real hardcore technical stuff.   "how do I reconnect the bench seat to the body of the car?" (don't hit me Jack I know you already showed me where it connects--just an example...)

oh here's a question: my left front blinker doesn't work.  the amber plastic cover is broken on one side and that let in moisture and if you remove the bulb, there are two little electrodes, and one of them is darn near rusted completely away.  someone mentioned maybe putting a spot of grease on it to improve the connection..?  it seems to me (I haven't tried it yet) that I should be able to access that socket from the back, inside the cab.  anyone have a trick for fashioning myself a new socket?  maybe soldering on a bit of flattened wire to the right shape?  something like that..?

thanks guys.  I absolutely love how everyone in this group is so helpful.  it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that goes well with my hippie bus :)

..sky

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »

Sky do you have a decent printer and plenty of ink for it? Go to this web site

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

Find your year VW manual. click on it. You can then print it out. I've done this with all my cars- it gives you a vw dealer manual that usually comes with your car and can answer some fairly technical questions every now and then.

hope it helps.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??

skymath

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »

John,

Thank you SO much!  That'll help a lot!

..Sky

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 03:15:53 pm »

oh here's a question: my left front blinker doesn't work.  the amber plastic cover is broken on one side and that let in moisture and if you remove the bulb, there are two little electrodes, and one of them is darn near rusted completely away.

Sky,

you could try cleaning them and also the inside of the socket where the bulb sits. You need good contact all around and also a good ground ( thats the gold part of the bulb with the 2 pins. If all else fails get ready to reolace the socket, I'm sure one of the suppliers would have the right part.

Ben Franklin

skymath

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:41:16 pm »

John,

The manual answered my main question: what do those levers do? (two are for fresh air, two are for heat--now I can finally turn off the heat in 90 degree weather!)

Bob,

Yeah the one electrode was pretty well rusted away but maybe if I clean the rust off the bit that's left will work.  It did seem that there was enough there that it ought to make contact but probably the rust was interfering.  How best to clear rust off an electrode?

Thanks again for the help guys,
Sky

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:35 pm »

sandpaper or small file. Or if your a real old timer- a scout knife! :icon_thumleft:
John
60 Beetle- Ned
2014 Jetta
Obnoxious objector??
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up