SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever???  (Read 4543 times)

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
Have you ever???
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:03:14 am »

Used the quick shift kit??? 

Installed a sway bar on you bug?  If so. did you notice a big difference in handling?
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Re: Have you ever???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:09 am »

I had a quick shift on my bug MANY years ago. After a few months I took it off. Mine sacrificed the reverse lock-out, so I was missing some shifts. OUCH!
Mike
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:36:26 am »

Best quick shifter I've ever used was on a friends car, berg shifter, short accurate throws and positive lock out but....$$$$$
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:22:31 am »

I have a quick (short) shift kit on the square. Never had an issue with it. Would never take it off, either. ( I assume we are talking about the block and ball aftermarket kit you mount under your original shift?)

Older beetles have sway bars up front and are unneccesary in the rear. If your looking to beef up because of the added height of the baja- I'm sure there has to be some after market stuff out there
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:32:04 am »

Had lots of good luck with this place and they specialize in buggy & Baja stuff..

http://www.larrysoffroad.com
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »

I put one on the Rat because I am using a longer bus shifter, so I had to shorten the throw so it don't hit the dash. I got it from CIP1.

I have a G. Berg shifter in the Love Bus but it broke when I was speed shifting :icon_cry: :icon_cry: still use it tho. It has a shorter throw and is very smooth like Bob said.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:14:27 pm »

beef up because of the added height of the baja- I'm sure there has to be some after market stuff out there
Really looking to improve handling, not that it is not handling great, but if there is room for improvment mind as well do it  I1t  (grunt grunt MORE POWER) I m actually thinking about droping the baja, lower center of gravity is handling's friend  drive&& And I have never seen a lowrider Baja.  I'm also looking for vw 4 lug old school slots to get rid of the front adaptors and lighten the steering up a bit.

Had lots of good luck with this place and they specialize in buggy & Baja stuff..
http://www.larrysoffroad.com

Yep, they have good stuff. 
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:44:15 am »

'm also looking for vw 4 lug old school slots to get rid of the front adaptors and lighten the steering up a bit.

Marc,

I've got a set of aluminum slots, 4 lug but they are a bit wide and for the back can you use them ?

Ben Franklin

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:11 am »

I've got a set of aluminum slots, 4 lug but they are a bit wide and for the back can you use them ?

THe current rims on the front are 8 in wide... + the adaptor, so the front is wayyyyy wide, I was not planning on changing the rear wheels just the front.  With 4 lug in front and chevy 5 in the rear it will mean I need to keep an adaptor plate under the hood if  I get a flat...
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up