SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: $$$$$ Show Quality Paint Job for pennies  (Read 13395 times)

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
Re: $$$$$ Show Quality Paint Job for pennies
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Now about that lacquer paint job...From what I know of paint a lacquer finish won't hold up to the weather

I don't agree with your statement...sort-of  :o  Laquer won't hold up to neglect.

All of our antique furniture is finished with lacquer. If the grand parents kept it up they're beautiful...If we left 'em in the attic...they're chit.

Same deal with the car... if you take care of it, it's very durable. If you don't....eeeek... it'll start to go south in 2 seasons.
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:27 pm »

Who is that guy???!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt, He comes out of the woodwork every now and then.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 04:47:03 pm »

All of our antique furniture is finished with lacquer. If the grand parents kept it up they're beautiful...If we left 'em in the attic...they're chit.

Same deal with the car... if you take care of it, it's very durable. If you don't....eeeek... it'll start to go south in 2 seasons.

Thats why I keep wax in the LoveBus to keep it nice.

RT 66 June 1, 2015

perdecas

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »

oh pleeeeeeeease, if we do our cars for ouselves then why do we go to car shows and wait for other people to look at our cars  and hope they think it is worthy of a trophy. so pleeeeeeeease do not kid yourselves if you had all the know how and or money we wanted to spend on our cars the paint job would be the first thing we would want to be the best and we would want it to beat out everyone elses paint job. we as humans just cant help ourselves, we love the glory of winning and having others drool over our cars . so get over your selves, you might sleep better thinking the way you do but in your subconscious you know  it aint so joe. screwey))

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 06:48:50 pm »

God, i love frank!
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:15 pm »

o
h pleeeeeeeease, if we do our cars for ouselves then why do we go to car shows and wait for other people to look at our cars  and hope they think it is worthy of a trophy. so pleeeeeeeease do not kid yourselves if you had all the know how and or money we wanted to spend on our cars the paint job would be the first thing we would want to be the best and we would want it to beat out everyone elses paint job. we as humans just cant help ourselves, we love the glory of winning and having others drool over our cars . so get over your selves, you might sleep better thinking the way you do but in your subconscious you know  it aint so joe.

The man comes alive with just a mention of paint! Spoken like a true art-tist !!!

I don't agree with your statement...sort-of  :o  Laquer won't hold up to neglect.

I should have worded that a bit different, what I meant is that lacquer doesn't hold up as good as todays modern finishes, thats assuming they both get the same amount of neglect. I think todays 2 part clear coats are much harder than the old lacquer based clears. Still lacquer does give a great finish and is versatile when you think of all the great classic paint jobs guys like Barris & Roth did with only lacquer available. 
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 08:42:54 pm »

I was typing when the last 2 posts came in. This thread has turned....

I'm sorry that an attempt at building confidence, instill hope and keep someone from aimlessly slopping bondo on their car has turned into a session on Freud's couch.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:44:24 pm »

I should have worded that a bit different, what I meant is that lacquer doesn't hold up as good as todays modern finishes, thats assuming they both get the same amount of neglect. I think todays 2 part clear coats are much harder than the old lacquer based clears. Still lacquer does give a great finish and is versatile when you think of all the great classic paint jobs guys like Barris & Roth did with only lacquer available. 

I assumed that was what you meant and I agree completely (I was spelling it out for the others)

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:03 pm »

has turned into a session on Freud's couch.

LoL LoL LoL LoL

Hey Shawn

You have to understand Frank, he owns Franks Auto Body and lives and breathes paint fumes! The man snorts bondo but hes done some of the nicest paint work you will ever see!  c23  :clipboard_50x50: 

I understand his thoughts, I'm a printer and I hate it when I hear about another company going "paperless"  m-d m-d2 &m&
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 08:56:46 pm »

;D No worries. but it explains the agressive, competitive undertones in his post LoL

BTW Hi Frank...I'm the optimistic, overly-opinionated newbie :icon_blackeye:

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »

Hey, this is gettin gooooood. Thanks for jumpin in Frank. Keep it goin guys. LOL LOL LOL

Great topic Shawn.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 05:32:05 am »

But frank does have a point. The only reason we paint our cars and continue to work on them and improve them is because we all enjoy the smiles on peoples faces when they see our rides. I think Greg probably gets alot of people looking at his car and smiling. But I think what he wants is for people to look and his car and say Wow! I want that car! 
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 06:30:39 am »

But I think what he wants is for people to look and his car and say Wow! I want that car!

d-s P#3 d-s P#3 d-s P#3 d-s P#3 d-s P#3 how much ??

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 09:17:44 am »

Although this thread has taken a few twists and turns from the original subject I actually enjoy reading all the opinions even if it makes me wonder if people sometimes understand (myself included) what the original subject was.

I believe Shawn was trying to tell everyone how TO SAVE MONEY on a presentable paint job, and the key word here is, presentable and how easy you can do a lacquer paint job yourself. So with that said, I will continue to take this off the original topic and into the realms of car shows etc.

We all have our reasons for going to car shows, is it to win trophies, the camaraderie of being with fellow air heads or just the pleasure of driving your VW no matter what it looks like or what people think of it, it’s your baby. I personally think it’s all of the things mentioned above to one degree or another. As long as it floats your boat that’s all that matters.

Now with that said, can we get back to the original subject?

I haven’t seen lacquer paint in spray cans or I just didn’t notice it, I’ll have to look a little closer next time and when I’m buying some spray cans of paint I'll give it a try on the Rat. I just got a can of clear to see how it will work on a small part of the paint that Frank sprayed on POS Bus. Can you buy a Qt. of lacquer to use with the Preval sprayer??? Link to Preval sprayer = http://http://www.prevalspraygun.com/ I was under the Impression that you couldn’t buy lacquer any more in paint stores, can you?. Has anyone used the preval sprayer? How long will it last and cost???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:25:02 am by LoveBus (jack) »

RT 66 June 1, 2015

steveo

• SJVWC Charter Member --Past Club President Lifetime member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 12:20:19 pm »

Although this thread has taken a few twists and turns from the original subject I actually enjoy reading all the opinions even if it makes me wonder if people sometimes understand (myself included) what the original subject was.

I believe Shawn was trying to tell everyone how TO SAVE MONEY on a presentable paint job, and the key word here is, presentable and how easy you can do a lacquer paint job yourself. So with that said, I will continue to take this off the original topic and into the realms of car shows etc.

We all have our reasons for going to car shows, is it to win trophies, the camaraderie of being with fellow air heads or just the pleasure of driving your VW no matter what it looks like or what people think of it, it’s your baby. I personally think it’s all of the things mentioned above to one degree or another. As long as it floats your boat that’s all that matters.

Now with that said, can we get back to the original subject?

Spoken like a true gentleman..( I'm starting to make myself sick being nice to the POS owner )
Steveo
June L227 '55 bug..RIP
'04.5 PG GLI..
Not afraid to drive my 36 horser..If I had one.
The samba is your friend
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up