SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: $$$$$ Show Quality Paint Job for pennies  (Read 13396 times)

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
Re: $$$$$ Show Quality Paint Job for pennies
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 01:17:27 pm »

I believe Shawn was trying to tell everyone how TO SAVE MONEY on a presentable paint job, and the key word here is, presentable and how easy you can do a lacquer paint job yourself.

Yes...Not so much to SAVE money...but for those who have very little money to begin with.

I haven’t seen lacquer paint in spray cans or I just didn’t notice it, I’ll have to look a little closer next time and when I’m buying some spray cans of paint I'll give it a try on the Rat. I just got a can of clear to see how it will work on a small part of the paint that Frank sprayed on POS Bus.

You can't buy lacquer in paint stores anymore. Dupli Color has it's "Classic Laquer" line of aerosol cans. They also have it in Qt. cans, bvut it's premixed. Great for those who dont want to deal with mixing but of course a quart makes a quart. (When you bought a quart of lacquer in the past a quart made a gallon)

According to their website it's "reformulated". Probably means they found a legal loophole.

Can you buy a Qt. of lacquer to use with the Preval sprayer??? Link to Preval sprayer = http://http://www.prevalspraygun.com/ I was under the Impression that you couldn’t buy lacquer any more in paint stores, can you?. Has anyone used the preval sprayer? How long will it last and cost???

The quart is $19. They have red & blue in stock at my Advanced Auto Parts. They also have primer/surfacer AND Metal Flake and Flip/Flop (pearl) clear coats.

The Preval sprayers are disposable. They have whole sprayers which consist of a jar and a spray (power) unit. You can also buy just the power unit. Each will spray about 16oz. and then you throw it away.

The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 02:06:37 pm »

Although this thread has taken a few twists and turns from the original subject I actually enjoy reading all the opinions

same here! I was getting tired of the "Oil" thread!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Kafer 53

• Silver Member
  • SJVWC
Currently: 1963 T34 Ghia, 1967 Volvo Amazon, 1967 T34 Ghia, 1968 Beetle, 1970 Ghia vert, 1972 Suzuki T250, 1974 K70, 1974 412,  1987 Fox,  1991 Yamaha FZR600, 1996 Passat
Previously: Waaaay too many to list.

"She uses a little oil, but outside of that, she's cherry"

Small car very angry.

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 07:03:38 pm »

WOW! I would try that for sure....But we can't buy Tremclad in the US. :icon_cry: Made by Rustoleum, but not the same formula. Im sure there is some reall good stuff in there like zinc-chromate or something

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

perdecas

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 04:17:49 pm »

people if you want to paint your car in lacquer go to 6th and erie in philly they will sell you all the lacquer you want. and then you can paint your car with it make it look great after spending countless hours sanding and bufiing and then buffing some more. then when you have it where you want it, find a warm place to live in , where the temps stay at a coll 80 degrees so your nice paint job will not contract and expand "sort of like concrete does with the cold and heat" and make sure you keep it in the shade most of the time so yout paint job does not crack within 1 year good luck.

p.s. i do not post often but it seems when i do i can sure stirr things up huh? lol lol lol BO** BO**

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »

Geez Frank.... What'd you do loose The Riddler to a laquer job?

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 05:20:45 pm »

Frank is my hero.

There are no easy ways!
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »

Ya may want to read my original post again...The word EASY was never mentioned. It was about a paint job for the cost of the paint. Elbow grease is free.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Just wanted to throw some of these so everyone understands there's no animosity here.... just a discussion

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:43 am »

The reason I wanted to paint my car, is because sometimes I just feel like ppl look at my car and think I drove it directly out of a junkyard right to the car show. You guys all know what my car looked like when I started my project, other people don't. Like John said, I get the smiles, I just want people to want my car. No Bob it's not for sale though I will trade it for the Bradley, 72 and the Corvair. Honestly, the only way I would ever sell my car, is if I was in a terrible accident and I removed all the useable parts. It's my first bug,the car I always wanted so it's special to me. Looking at all the spots that needs just gives me a headache, if I paint it Shaun's way I still have to fill in the holes for a good turn out. I think I will turn some heads at Flanders, I've got something good going on, all I need is time.  ;D
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up