SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindenwold BSA Troop show: September 06, 2008  (Read 5835 times)

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Lindenwold BSA Troop show: September 06, 2008
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:32:00 am »

Just goes to show you.....

Even a Hurricane can't stop  logolrg

gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6 gl6
Yesterday around 8:30 AM I took a fast ride ( in my truck ) to the park where the show was to be. I fully expected to see an empty parking lot and that would be it! When I pulled in and much to my surprise  shocked I found a bunch of Boy Scouts, some tents, lots of yellow "caution tape" marking the show area, 1 very fast race car "Monkey Bars", a Model T and Rick trying to get everything together.

Rick told me that if it wasn't raining by 9oclock then they were obligated to to the show anyway. Since it was about 9:05 and there was already the Model T ( belonging to a guy named "Dutch" - if you do Collingswood you know him! ) I decided to run back home and get the 72'. I figured out of the 3 of us I'd at least be the driest when the storms hit!    gl6

After a quick trip back to the garage me and my 72 were chugging up the pike back to the park. The sky wasn't looking too friendly at that point but still no rain. When I got back to the show I wasn't surprised to see the VW display had now expanded by 1 our very own "Herbie" had joined the line of cars. There was a line of some nice "American Iron" slowly filling in the blank spaces in the parking lot. I wandered around and ended up talking with Dutch and the owner of a really nice blue 57 T-bird. A few minutes later I heard a familiar sound coming down the road! It was Mike P and the white Vert! Now I've spent enough Saturdays under and on top of that car so I would know that sound in my sleep!  P#3 Mike figured "why not!" and joined the show. Within just a couple of minutes another VW rolled up this time it was Jim Schwarz ! in the green "Miracle Bug" !
Gerat! now we had 5 V-dubs including Ricks racer! It was starting to look like a show finally when car #6 pulled up "Marc 3 gear and the Baja"! WOW! threat of rain and all we were looking like a club!

blu_bug grnbug yellowbug** bronz)) black)) yellowbug** orangebug**

The rain held off and the Boy scouts began giving out door prizes around 11:30. The prizes were many and very nice! everybody got either a gift certificate, car cleaning supplies or a big can of "Kettle Corn" The "goodie bags" also held some nice samples, a small screw driver  and lots of good stuff! Just as the final door prize was awarded the first drops of rain started to hit so  very quickly the trophy presentation began and when it was over everybody got something!

It had just started to sprinkle so we all stood around admiring the prizes when another VW could be heard coming down the road! It was Mike Carfolite! and the "Mystery Bug"!
Mike pulled up and mentioned he would have been there earlier except he had broken down on the way over and didn't have anybody s cell phone number ! The mystery bug no longer is a mystery but a fine looker with a steel sunroof and one very loud monza style muffler! Mike also got a trophy ! Now we had 7 VWs and 7 trophies plus door prizes all around ! not bad for a dark and cloudy Saturday morning!

bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner bronz_cup-winner

On the way back I followed Mike and the Mystery bug and true to form it decided to stop running a few miles from Mikes house. Mike mentioned that the last time it stalled there was no visible spark at the ignition wires so we did a quick "In the rain" coil swap ( I had an extra ) and it fired right up!

sparkplug sparkplug sparkplug sparkplug

All in all it was a fun show considering the threat of rain and the fact it was the first year, everything was very organized and thought out and the Boy scouts are to be commended for doing a great job ! I hope next year its a sunny day and EVERYBODY can attend this one!  We should put this on the list of "10 Shows You Must Attend"!! 

Just one other thing...

when I got home Rick gave me a call just to let us know SJVWC won the "Club Participation Award"!! Hes bringing the trophy to the meeting Monday!

bronz_cup-winner sjvwcrocks

Also sorry I didn't take a camera but if anybody has some photos please post them!!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

scarecrow

Re: Lindenwold BSA Troop show: September 06, 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »

I was so close to going but in the end I was kinda glad I passed as I would have wound up driving home in the rain again M*M Been caught in the rain twice this year & thats about 2 times to many. I think all that made the Lindenwold show should get some extra recognition for thier dedication... something like a "Rain Riders" award, decal or badge or something like that  flamebug**

carfolite73Super

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »

Bob, I have to tell you haw much I appreciate you being there for me, especially with that mini store of parts. I made it home the rest of the way without a hitch P#3. I am just so sorry I couldn't have made it to the show sooner. I have to catch up with Rick to get my registration fee in. Everything was in the process of being packed up within 5 min. of my arrival. I tell you, I really know how to make an entrance, then make everyone leave!  777
Build it the way YOU want it!
 1965 Mustang convertible
 1954 Chevrolet 3100 pickup (3rd owner)
Not currently a VW owner....

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »

I tell you, I really know how to make an entrance, then make everyone leave!

LoL LoL LoL LoL

thats a good one Mike!
I mentioned the coil problem to Rick and he said either the coil or a condensor on the way out will do the same thing. Hope the problem is solved but if not I'd try the condensor next. hey that muffler was louder than my dual set up and the car isn't bad at all. Sounds like the V8 idea is out thanks to the state of NJ. Sooner or later you will want to hot rod the thing and then you'll see how much fun a "Hot VW" can be!

"We don't need no steenking V8s"!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

monkeybars

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:28:13 pm »

I just want to thank everyone ! It was all of you who made the show what it was, a fun time for all. And in scouting we learn that being prepared is everything, even when extra large BUGS show up. I will have the clubs trophy with me monday night
Again thanks to all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up