SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FLANDERS CAMPING AND VW CAR SHOW-Sept 20 &21 2008  (Read 12254 times)

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
FLANDERS CAMPING AND VW CAR SHOW-Sept 20 &21 2008
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:14 pm »

â€œAn outstanding good time was held by all”

Maybe there is something primeval about spending the night around a campfire with friends. Definitely we all had the same thing in common or perhaps were all getting a little more nostalgic. But on this trip, everyone seemed to agree was special.

Jack using his GPS to led us through some very lovely and scenic roads. The trip could have been shorter but not lovelier.

Our primitive campsite in the Flanders area was pristine with lush woodlands and dark green grasses. The main body of SJVW club got there early enough to secure our very own area away from the main group.

While most everyone brought or bought food, it was Jack Kessel’s gourmet Chili that was the instant hit. The balance was perfect. We definitely have to enter this one in the Elmer Hospital car show and chili cook-off show next year. Then Sue, Pat’s wife made from scratch a white chili with chicken that was a killer, this is definitely another winning entry for the Elmer chili-cook off.

In the evening it was our campfire that was the place to be, as visitors would come and just hang around complementing us on our tranquility. Some of the other campsites were hell-bent on head-banger music.

The tavern was about 200 yards away and it was reminiscent of the nightclubs of the 1940’s, low ceilings, big band stage, lots of room for eating and a nice size dance floor. On the walls were nostalgic pictures of events dating back to the forties. The food prices were more than fair and the mix of people were all very friendly.

The car show had an overwhelming turnout and the swap meet wasn’t bad either.

I didn’t stay for the raffle or the trophies as I had an early evening engagement.

I hope more members will join us as I’m already looking forward to this event next year.

jt 

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
Re: FLANDERS CAMPING AND VW CAR SHOW-Sept 20 &21 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:44 pm »

Well done Joe, it had to be the best show I've been to. Now I know why you guys have said that this is one to see. I had a blast. Even got some parts that I thought would never be found. Can't wait till next year. Gotta get the date and put it on my 2009 calender.

Hey, did everybody make it home OK?
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:38:32 pm »

Yeah, but the guy following me was driving like a granny.  >:(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:46:10 am »

Joe, You definitely have a way with words and you described the camping/show to a tee. The part I liked best was the cruise and camping, how much fun was that.

A husband and wife teem stopped by Most Beautiful Bus to talk and commented how many cars they saw with the SJVWC signs in their windows. They had also stopped by our campsite for a short time Sat night and said they wish they lived closer to us so they could join our club. They liked the closeness of our members and the way we made everyone feel at home. I thought that was the ultimate compliment.

The whole thing took a lot out of me but it was worth every minute of it.

There was one notable MISSING person at the diner and we left late but he was still a no show. I won’t mention any names scarecrow.

Members camping with us.

I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:51:08 am »

A husband and wife teem stopped by Most Beautiful Bus to talk and commented how many cars they saw with the SJVWC signs in their windows. They had also stopped by our campsite for a short time Sat night and said they wish they lived closer to us so they could join our club. They liked the closeness of our members and the way we made everyone feel at home. I thought that was the ultimate compliment.

Bob you gotta keep pushing those signs, I know there are a couple people that STILL don't have them. Aren't they FREE?

Scarecrow told me he couldn't make it, I thought he told the rest of the club. He said something came up and he couldn't make it.

Anybody hear from SKY?
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:20:24 pm »

Scarecrow told me he couldn't make it, I thought he told the rest of the club. He said something came up and he couldn't make it.

Now you tell us  f+t

RT 66 June 1, 2015

dawelder

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:37:50 pm »

Anybody hear from SKY?
[/quote]

More importantly,anyone know his real name?????

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:04:31 pm »

I pretty sure his real name is Mark.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

scarecrow

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:47 pm »

There was one notable MISSING person at the diner and we left late but he was still a no show. I won’t mention any names scarecrow.

I can't even begin to tell every one how much I wanted to go & how bad I feel that I could not make it. I could not even bring myself to post that I was not going to make it :'( All is fine now but a really messed up issue with a family member could not be ignored. From the pic's & post it looks just like I imagined it would be which makes me feel even worse M*M Oh well chit happens, I'm not going anywhere & thiers always next year.

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:23:17 pm »

- Been having trouble linking to this site - what'ya guys doing?!

Anyway, Ted, Katie and I had a really GREAT  time,
On the way to the campsite, there was a little concern for our car as it would rock side to side when driven about 5 mph; also coming from Pa, we were on the road by ourselves.

Getting to the site we set up and Jack and club followed about an hour later.
After telling Jack  about the car swaying, he said to jack up the front car then was kind enough to check out the play in the wheels -  and found that the link-pins were WAY out of adjustment. So when Jack should have been resting on this outing he crawled under the car to readjust the  pins, ( where's the pic of that?!) and after about 20 min or so, things were better. Thanks Jack!!

:icon_thumright:   

However a lesson to be learned:

When your car has a problem driving, and you find A problem in the front wheels, which is then fixed it does not mean you have fixed THE problem.  About an hour into the ride home, the car felt funny again. A while later I was just begining  to hear a grinding noise coming from the rear wheel (s).
  A lady behind me honked and motioned to my rear wheels and said ( so I think) Wobble!.

So we pulled over and jacked up one rear wheel. I pulled and pushed, spun it, seemed fine.
Went to the other and did the same, push pull was fine, when I spun it  - then I thought I saw the tire wobble a bit.
Had Ted stand a distance away behind it and I spun it again, he said it didnt look true. When I stopped the tire, I felt something.  I felt the tread. The whole tread was splitting away from the tire. Katie could pull the whole tread up and you could see the steel belts.

Yikes!

Changed the tire, and the car sounded a lot better. Glad this happened then  - as a mile later we were heading onto a major highway!! shocked   

SOoo with link pins adjusted and a good tire on the back, it drove real well!!

A bummer is I think I lost my camera there at the campgrounds.... cant find it at home . &m&    m-d2   
Dang, had some really good pic.s too!! Care more about that than the camera!

It was so good to see everyone, great camping, great fire, ( yes Jack I got it going the first time!) and great camadere

Matt
  anyone get awards?

1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 01:57:52 pm »

Matt:

I got great pictures of you and Jack doing the Link-pin adjustment. I'll try and post them again soon. The first time only 2 pictures showed up out of the first 10.

Sorry about your camera. You had so much stuff are you sure its not just lost among your belongings?]

Great catch on that tire.

jt

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:04:32 pm »

anyone get awards?

Matt,

I sent you an e-mail, I'm almost sure I heard your called out for a 2nd place. Could have also been that I was fried by the end of the day from looking at all the cars.

I know John Long &  T-3 John both got something but I don't think anyone else from our club did.

Good thing you caught that tire in time. When I saw you guys leaving, funny sight with the car piled high and the 3 of you bouncing along. I think I'm over my fear of using my roof rack now.

it was a great show and seeing all you guys survived the camping part I'm thinking next year I might give it a try.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 04:48:56 pm »

Matt didn't win second. Katie did. Unfortunatly they wouldn't give me the trophy  m-d &m& m-d2 fig2
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 07:41:22 pm »

Really glad you caught that tire Matt. That may have been your trouble all along.

Tell the wife that you need tires and king and link pins for Xmas.

I hope you come across your camera.

RT 66 June 1, 2015

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 07:42:59 pm »

Has anybody heard from Jay with franks car?
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up