SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Solution to Turn Signal/Emergency Flashers Problems  (Read 5229 times)

scarecrow

My Solution to Turn Signal/Emergency Flashers Problems
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:47:21 pm »

After wasting countless hours & spending untold dollars I still have yet to unravel the mysteries of the VW flasher/turn signal  circuit. I know I’m not alone here, just go to Samba & do a search on the subject & it will come back with 12 pages containing 572 posts. So I decided to make my own turn signal/flasher circuit that is independent of OE harness. This fix may not appeal to everyone but if you have a hacked OE harness or a botched install on a repo harness like I do it may be an alternative for you.

I did this on my ‘72 Type 1. Headlights, parking lights & brake lights all work perfectly, but the turn signals have never worked well & the flashers have never worked at all.

I used 2 two prong electronic flashers from http://www.autolumination.com/ they are advertised to flash at the proper rate  for both incandescent & LED lights or a combination of the two. As for switches it’s your choice as to location & what kind. I used 3 prong rockers that light up when the circuit is live so I remember to turn them off. I got them @ http://www.oznium.com/

All you have to do is cut the black/green wire that goes to the  front & rear  turn signal bulbs on the drivers side, splice in the wire from your new circuit to the wire going to the bulb & tape or cap off the other end of the wire that comes from the OE harness. Same on passenger side only the wire is black. The OE turn signal & 4 way flasher units are now no longer connected to the bulb.

Deciding to leave sleeping dogs lie, I made no attempt to disconnect any of the wires attached to the OE flasher units or to remove the OE flasher units themselves.

Now all I have to do is flip my left switch for left turn signal or the right switch for right turn signal. Flip both switch & now you got four way flashers.

I realize that there are many more ways to do this circuit with different types of flasher units, different ways to wire & of course you could add more bells & whistles, but hey if your that smart you can more than likely can make your OE turn signal/flasher circuit work. But for those that can’t this method is simple, effective, easy to repair & bullet proof.

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
Re: My Solution to Turn Signal/Emergency Flashers Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:39:13 pm »

Marc. I wish I had known that you needed this type info, because I actually made my own wiring harness, traced out all flasher wires on the relays, and corresponding wires on the turn signal switch etc. I have the drawing around here somewhere, and if it worked for me it would work for others.  vwlogo

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:17:55 am »

Good job Mark!

I've worked on a few kit cars and dune buggies and usually a 2 prong "trailer flasher" works out ok. looks like you figured a way to beat the gremlins sometimes thats the hardest part.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:38:08 pm »

Dude thats the only way to do it in a rat. Plus you got the cool green eyed monster on the dash now shocked
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:12 pm »

Marc. I wish I had known that you needed this type info, because I actually made my own wiring harness, traced out all flasher wires on the relays, and corresponding wires on the turn signal switch etc. I have the drawing around here somewhere, and if it worked for me it would work for others.  vwlogo

Why don't you post it so others may have access to it.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

scarecrow

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:25 pm »

Dude thats the only way to do it in a rat. Plus you got the cool green eyed monster on the dash now shocked
Your right, did not intend to but now that I look at it, kind of reminds me of a late 50’s tin Robot…I could go on & on about the virtues of “Home Built” weldface Rat Rods, IMHO their the best thing to happen to the hobby but hey I admit it, I’m prejudiced plus I don’t want to stir up the “Shinny Paint People”  888  :rolleyes:  !3!  And no, “Pro Built” rides with flat black paint are not Rat Rods  &m&  flamebug**

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:06:01 pm »

From Wikipedia, wasn't sure what the definition of a Rat Rod was...

A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.
Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or are not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.
The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or are not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.
The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

That sounds like Bridgette.  :D
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:39:56 pm »

Beetle,
The typical rat

After the war, (WWII) the young men returning home built Hot Rods. With very little money, the best way to make it fast was to lighten it.
Frames, beams axles etc were drilled as much as possible to lightrn the load. Seats and interiors were trashed. Aluminum parts from surplus aircraft were used especially the seat frames from aircraft. "Bomber Seats" are used in a majority of Rats. These early rodders used what little money they had on the motors. The rest was a hodgepodge of parts from various other cars/ trucks. The best they got cosmetically was "ruddy brown" primer. Scarecrow's VW is Ruddy Brown (and way to flawless).

So here's the evolution:
Hot Rods were '40's & '50's

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and his famed radical Hot Rod cartoons and infamous "Rat Fink" at the wheel.

The phrase Rat Rod showed up in there sometime. Because of the rod & the rat fink (http:\\www.ratfink.org)

These 'toons were turned into radical (& beautiful) cars in the '60's by customizers like George Barris. (Batmobile, Grampa Munster's "Dragula" & The Munster Mobile to name a few)

In the last few years, imitations of the original hot rods were being created & but with the Rat Rod name.

Now Rat Rodding is a complete sub-culture, with the cars looking like the rods of the 40's the owners, a modern version of the old Greasers and the girls looking like the pinup girls & bomber nose art of the era.

The "Big Show" for these folks is BilletProof in 4 different cities around the US (The name indicating no parts machined from billets of aluminum ala pretyboy show cars

It's amazing check out http://www.billetproof.com/

The VW version... This car is called "Death"
Beetle, notice there is no paint on the car

This is my next project, a little less chopped. So let it be written, So let it be done

Disclaimer: This is a very loose timeline & facts +-, please feel free to correct or fill in details
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:45:40 pm by Bahaha »
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 01:19:08 am »

No trailered cars (race only vehicles excepted with prior approval)

Sorry Bugaru, looks like you can't register for this car show.  :'( lol lol lol

Keep in mind that we have the right to refuse any vehicle WITHOUT A REFUND, so read the rules carefully and decide for yourself. Don't cry when we turn you away, tears stain billet.

Wow these people don't joke around.

That's good research Bahaha, you get an "A" today and are excused from tomorrow's assignment.  ;D
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:06:37 am »

rats don't have to be cars, take a look at this...

http://ratbike.org/ratbikes.html

and on the same lines..

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:40:23 pm by njgt-1 »
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

scarecrow

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:13:42 pm »

The best they got cosmetically was "ruddy brown" primer. Scarecrow's VW is Ruddy Brown (and way to flawless).

You got to get closer to it. It’s a 15 foot rattle can job. I has lot of.. what would be the words for it… “Character & Texture” yeah that’s it.  ;D

Love the BilletProof sight. Those are the kinds of rides that are permanently imprinted on my brain form when I was a kid & their philosophy & rules is exactly the way I feel.   

Cool post :icon_thumright:
Pages: [1]   Go Up