SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown Engine  (Read 7037 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Blown Engine
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:18:03 am »

Luckily it's not the one in Bridgette.

So here's the scoop, the purple bug has an engine that is siesed.  I was wondering if it's worth getting rebuilt, I've been told that you can rebuild a motor that has been siesed.

This is what want, if possible I'd like to keep 1 carb but increase my low end torque, I'm just worried about 0-60 I could care less if the car does

anything over 65.  I find myself at lights with a mom in a minivan or a hair guy in a rig and it's both scary and annoying.

Is there anything I can do to get a decent amount of low end torque and running a stock 1 bbl carb?

I've been chatting with this guy from another club and he just put in a 1915 engine in his bug and it puts out 130 hp from chico.

if possible I'd like to keep the build under 3000 anything over that I might as well buy chico 125 hp engine for 4500 and just learn how to adjust

duel carbs. =-(

OH PS I wouldn't be rebuilding my motor myself I'd be taking it probably to Joe's Bugs where Bud went. Due to no time and no tools/garage.

Thanks,

Greg
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Re: Blown Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:18:23 am »

Oh PS it's like 20 degrees in my house and I cant sleep.  >:(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:10:23 am »

Oh PS it's like 20 degrees in my house and I cant sleep.

Hey Jim, send the kid some heat!

So here's the scoop, the purple bug has an engine that is siesed.  I was wondering if it's worth getting rebuilt, I've been told that you can rebuild a motor that has been siesed.

you need to pull it apart and see just what parts were hurt and what condition the case is in.

This is what want, if possible I'd like to keep 1 carb but increase my low end torque, I'm just worried about 0-60 I could care less if the car does

mild cam, dual carbs, increase the displacement ( bigger cylinders - 90.5s are best )
possible stroker crank = more torque

Is there anything I can do to get a decent amount of low end torque and running a stock 1 bbl carb?

stay stock - anything else isn't worth it

1915 engine in his bug and it puts out 130 hp from chico.

thats 94mm cylinders x 69mm stock stroke crank. I'd find out what cam, heads, carbs, exhaust and if the crank, rods, pistons & cylinders were balanced, is the case new? used? lots of questions & decisions with that one.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:45:36 am »

Don't throw your money away, like Bob said Stay Stock, and if you want fast buy a Mustang.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:11 am »

if you want fast buy a Mustang.

shocked fast? loud pipes but 16sec 1/4 miles...not fast just sounds that way!
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:47:13 am »

if possible I'd like to keep the build under 3000 anything over that I might as well buy chico 125 hp engine for 4500 and just learn how to adjust

That kind of money (3 to 4.5k) I would be talking to bugaru, and have 160hp (non turbo) on hand to crush those weak a** mustangs!!!!

Greg to be honest, to do an engine all you need is a basement / shed / corner of your room and spare time, rip out that stuck motor and take it apart, it is a wonderful learning expierence, once you have it stripped take the case to one of the guys who knows what to look for and see if it is good, then start collecting GOOD parts to build the motor you want.  If you spend $100 now on some OK tools, the first repairs you do yourself the tools will have paid for themselves. 

Just my  2CENTS

BTY I rebuilt my engine in my basement, the first VW enging I ever took apart, and this is the first VW I have ever owned.   Less TV and more wrench turning was my motto. The part that took the longest was stripping all of the tins and cleaning the case of all the gunk...  Nothing to it, but to do it yourself!!!!!  The bentley manual has very good step by steps for taking apart and rebuilding a motor.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:52:25 am by luvgroovesalad »
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:13:16 pm »

If i add spark plugs to my tail pipes that will keep people back...  on the way tp work today there was a bmw behind me, i want to brake check and get a brand new motor, i was up to 75 before i could get over to let them pass. everyone is in a rush. i was thinking about adding an oil dump like on one of those old car tv shows they dropped the oil behind the car and the car behind the started swerving.  ;D
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:20:40 pm »

Bob by stock do you mean bone stock? what about a mild cam dual carbs 88mm bore x 69 mm? muir said its a 1678. if i can increase the hp by 15 percent i will shut up :-D  Jack did you find out if the love bus has a cam yet? i think you said something about dual carbs arnt worth it unless you have a matching cam.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 01:21:26 pm »

i was thinking about adding an oil dump like on one of those old car tv shows they dropped the oil behind the car and the car behind the started swerving.  ;D

Naaah, you want a sprayer so it gets all over the car and windshield...  They'll have a fun time with the clean up...
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 01:53:03 pm »

Bob by stock do you mean bone stock? what about a mild cam dual carbs 88mm bore x 69 mm? muir said its a 1678. if i can increase the hp by 15 percent

Greg

Those 88s are old tech. When John Muir wrote the book all you could get was machine in 88mm cylinders. They make 88s today but they are made to "slip in" the case with no machining now thats a bad idea since the cylinder has to be thinned out so much and the cylinder walls are left too thin to last very long.

If you had to machine a case for cylinders the smart thing would be to go to a 90.5mm cylinder. This would give you a 1776 with a stock stroke ( 69mm ) crank (this is whats in my 72). The 90.5s today are the same thickness as a stock cylinder so they wear about the same and handle heat the same as stock. Stay away from anything "slip in" or any 88mm or 92mm cylinder combo. 87mm cylinders can be used with no machine work and are thinner but they seem to work ok ( my Bradley has em ) but you only go up to 1641ccs, not much for the effort.

If all this confuses you go back and look at the photos of Mikes engine on my blog . They should give you some idea as to what we are talking about when we say a case needs to be machined for bigger cylinders.

Ben Franklin

dawelder

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »

Greg, I am sure your dad would let you build it in your room. Surprise him and just sneak one in there and cover it with some laundry. :icon_thumleft:

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:37 pm »

Greg, I am sure your dad would let you build it in your room. Surprise him and just sneak one in there and cover it with some laundry

Hey I was talking with your dad about your room and on second thought you could build it and nobody would notice anyway!

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:34 pm »

Pat and Bob Lol yeah my room is pretty rough, there's a walking path to my bed. Bob ill check out the pics when i get home my cell phone is going to die and i forgot my charger.  >:(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »

Hey Jim, send the kid some heat!

Better yet Bob, I'll  just throw a few extra blankets in the room.  ;D

Hey Greg, it's like camping out, but you are in the house. :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin:
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »

In that case ill put a stinger on the red bug and pull next your bedroom window and give it a few hard revs for about ten minutes. At least the walls of my room arnt wet with moisture thats the only think i hated about camp when you bump your head on the tent wall and water droplets go everywhere! -55] gl6
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up