SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Noise?!! What is it?!  (Read 8839 times)

braidmeister

Re: Engine Noise?!! What is it?!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:44:59 am »

Does it sound like 'pfft...pfft...pfft...pfft...' when it is running? This is a good indication that you have a blown head gasket if you are also reporting a loss of power. 1st thought was a leaky exhaust which can cause a backfire on decel as cold air rushes in...But if you are losing power then it is a good chance that you blew a head gasket. The head gasket seals the cylinder to the head/combustion chamber.

I'm not saying that it IS a blown head gasket for sure, but it sure sounds like it could be. The only way to know for sure would be to do a leak-down/compression test.

-Brady

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 12:03:44 pm »

or a blown head gasket 

hate to mention it but most air cooled vdubs don't use a head gasket, just a sealing surface between the head and cylinder. If compression is getting past that point then it might be a stud pulled loose from the case. A compression check will verify this.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

braidmeister

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »

True...forgot about not having head gaskets...but it definitely sounds like a combustion chamber is leaking somehow with the loss of power...

-Brady

skymath

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 03:42:31 pm »

okay so there's probably a leak in the compression chamber? Jack told me that my compression was always weak but we never actually checked it

if there's a way to fix it short of swapping engines I'd rather try that first.  Is there anything obvious I should be checking?

..Sky

braidmeister

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 05:28:59 pm »

Buy or borrow a compression gauge and screw it into one cyl at a time. It should hold pressure when both valves are closed. Record what the pressure is for each cyl. I'm sure somebody here has one...

-Brady

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 05:56:38 pm »

Hey the sound is back, maybe it's just somethign I've never heard before. I swear tomorrow you are going to say, "I don't hear anything" "Remove those Chitty GT Tips so I can hear what you're talking about" "It's just your fan no need to worry" It's kinda like a whine but it doesn't sound life threatening at all. Like I said I've heard VW's sound like it, maybe it's just my super sonic hearing.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:24 pm »

s#r You must have a turbo.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

braidmeister

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 07:34:26 pm »

LOL!

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:26 pm »

s#r You must have a turbo.

Or maybe a leaf blower. 777  Due to those damn stand offs. I1t
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:55 pm »

There are WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to many h8ers in this club!  >:(

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:53 pm »

Does it sound like a slight ringing / gingleing sort of chain rattling noise? It's a sound that I thought that most VW's usually have, but oneday while sitting around the campfire and telling horor stories about what goes bump in the night, I asked master Jack  stoned# and he nailed it right away. If it's the sound I described Jack knows exactly what it is, you may have to buy him a cup of coffee for the answer but ask him.  s#r

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

skymath

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:08 am »

Guys,

so is it true that an exhaust leak can cause backfiring?  because my bus was backfiring until last week when it started being super super loud and lost a lot of power..  but when the aaa guy came I started it up to move it to a better spot for the tow truck, and he said it sounded like an exhaust leak.   the reason I ask is because I have an extra muffler..  will replacing the muffler help if it's an exhaust leak?

Can someone explain to me why an exhaust leak would cause backfiring and/or a loss of power?  It doesn't make sense to me...

..sky

braidmeister

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 09:31:55 am »

An exhaust leak would cause backfiring - due to the vacuum created when you let off of the gas & cold air rushes in, creating the backfire...BUT in the case of your engine, it will not cause a substantial loss in power.

Start the thing up (set parking brake and chock wheels!) and crawl underneath and LISTEN...Where is the noise coming from EXACTLY?

-Brady

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »

I had 2 exhaust leaks that did not cause any backfiring  ???

In putting a heat exchanger on my brother did not tighten down the bolts from the exchanger to the head,  - they eventualy came way loose, and boy that was loud,

recently replaced a heat exchanger cause it rusted out where it joins the muffler.

Maybe holes in the exhaust of a certain size or certain place  cause backfiring  - ?

Yes you have to trace the noise, that will help, if you cant isolate it, put a tube to the old ear, and stethoscope it like I mentioned in my first post

good luck

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up