SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Pull 2009  (Read 10218 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Engine Pull 2009
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:31 am »

As you may know already I have bad heads and will be removing them hopefully this Spring when it gets Warmer...*it was 61 today*. I've also come across cooling tins thermostat that I will also be replacing. I'm thinking about getting new heater boxes and a ceramic GT Exhaust System... Yes I know there is no power increase with this system yes I know it's cheaper to get another stock muffler with another set of tips. I just think it looks nicer as one whole unit.

I found heads at CB performance Stock for 144 each
The heater boxes are about 126 for chinese or about 20 more for Danish
The exhaust not sure, thought they have an all ceramic system heater boxes muffler which I am considering but I'm trying to minimize the shine.

Can I reuse my rocker arms?

We should have our garage up by then but if it's ok with Jack it would make more sense to do it at his place because of his tools and the location is more central.

I'll bring this up again when it gets closer to pulling time.

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

scarecrow

Re: Engine Pull 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:45:41 am »

I want in on this one. Want to learn how it done

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:28 am »

I found heads at CB performance Stock for 144 each

kinda high for a stock head, what size valves ?

a ceramic GT Exhaust System...

save yer bucks if its anything like a "Monza" its just a noise maker

Can I reuse my rocker arms?

sure but it wouldn't hurt to replace the adjusting screws with "elephant foot swivel adjusters" they will keep your new valve stems in good shape.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:33 am »

kinda high for a stock head, what size valves ?

Cylinder Heads

It does say the size of the valves so I'm assuming it's stock, you can get a bare head for 125.

save yer bucks if its anything like a "Monza" its just a noise maker

Exhaust

Yes I know they are just noise makers but they are noise makers, should sound like my current rusty muffler. Should be any louder and I think my exhaust sounds fairly tame. I do like Joe T. exhaust set up, it's one of the nicest sounding exhausts I've heard in a while. It's probably not designed for a stock motor like mine.  :icon_cry:

Why does it ALWAYS rain on my day off???  m-d m-d m-d

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:30:06 am »

I do like Joe T. exhaust set up, it's one of the nicest sounding exhausts I've heard in a while. It's probably not designed for a stock motor like mine. 

Joe built it himself from an old Super trap muffler setup.

should sound like my current rusty muffler. S

try Por-15 exhaust paint next time. The stuff is tough and looks good, best of all it goes over rust with no problem. It goes really far also, I had a pint and was able to do about 3 exhaust systems

try www.por15.com
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:24 am »

What about the heads? I thought everbody talked about CB performance being the place to go for engine stuff.  :-[
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:09:22 pm »

What about the heads? I thought everbody talked about CB performance being the place to go for engine stuff.  :-[

sure they have lots of performance heads such as 044s but you are looking at a set of stock OEM heads, nothing fancy about them and most suppliers carry them. I'd price them out just as long as you know they are for a 1600 dual port engine you should be able to find a bargan.

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:23:51 pm »

Couldn't he rebuild a SET of stock heads for about half that including the donors?

Wintertime Head Class at Jacks?
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 04:44:54 pm »

I don't want rebuilt I want new.  ;D I don't like rebuilt parts on my engine.  >:(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

njgt-1

• PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:04 pm »

I don't want rebuilt I want new.  Grin I don't like rebuilt parts on my engine.  Angry

nothing wrong with rebuilt but for the price it isn't worth it. Everybody is looking for performance heads so you should be able to get a good deal on a set of stockers.

Ben Franklin

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »

Aircooled.net is 250   >:( for stockers. Cant find them on Jbugz
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »

Same with cip1 250ish
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 07:39:44 pm »

I don't want rebuilt I want new.  ;D I don't like rebuilt parts on my engine.  >:(

Years ago I talked to the person that owned and ran Stevens head rebuilding in California. I got the number from an article that ran in Hot VW’S. At least I think that was the name of the firm. He said something very interesting regarding new versus used heads. He said with new heads you never know if there is going to be a cast-out, (a hole that develops when the engine gets hot.) Also he said that heads that have run through several cycles of hot and cold have stabilized. He also said he gets piles of new heads that not only have cast-outs but have a host of other problems. He recommends German rebuild heads as your best bet. Of course you have to remember he is running a head rebuilding business.

In regard to your quest for an exhaust system. My opinion is that extractors have no equal.
   5-10 hp gain depending on the inductions system. They run cooler. And the best part is that by merely removing three bolts you can alter the muffler system from anything to outrageous laud to very quite. You can cut up some junk system and adapt any type of muffler if you feel creative. Also they’re much easier to install. I had three different mufflers on my bug in one afternoon in an attempt to find the “not to offensive” exhaust note.  2CENTS

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:07 pm »

Thanks for the info Joe. Seems like a lot of this stuff is hit or miss, experiment and find the answer and who can you trust the guy selling the product or the guy who rebuild the product. As for the exhaust I have my heart set on the ceramic GT system, I like how it exist out the stock holes if I could find an extractor exhaust that exits out the stock holes *for a reasonable price* I'd be set. 
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »

Heard from the guy who built my 1776 about heads,  he felt that rebuilding the german ones was better than what is out there as new.  Whe you do it yourself ( over Jacks) & bluprint them, you know things were done right!

My  2CENTS

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up