SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Temp Gauge  (Read 6832 times)

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
Oil Temp Gauge
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:46:46 am »

How does the temperature of the oil turn into an electrical signal that goes to the gauge? I'm looking at this oil temp gauge and it's talking about cutting holes in blocks and chit  !fright! but could have sworn that there is a duel oil pressure sender unit, one being for the oil light, and the other to attach a gauge. My question is, lets say I get this gauge cut off the end that is suppose to go to the block and hook it up to the other end of said oil pressure/temp sender. I know all of you guys say no to gauges because you only really need the gen light and the oil light, but I think two more gauges along with the tach would look might sweet.

You can see the their sending unit, doesn't look very fancy. I was worried that that sending unit only works with that particular gauge.

Gauge

The tach is pretty straight forward, when I run the wire under the seat through the back to the engine I'm going to run the wire for the oil temp gauge too.

I'm looking for blue bulbs for my speedo light, let me know if you know of anything. I know they make them for import guys, but the bulb might be the wrong size.

Luckily the digital gauges are only 1 inch thick so no need to bend chit and it wont take up any more room than the speaker that was originally there.

Ok bed time =-)

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
Re: Oil Temp Gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:49:40 am »

Greg,

How does the temperature of the oil turn into an electrical signal that goes to the gauge?

you need a sender which sends a signal to the gauge. For oil theres 2 types, 1 that works well and 1 that doesn't. The one that doesn't work well is the one that replaces your oil drain plug. Thats not the best place to measure oil temperature since its not the hottest place on the engine and the sender is too close to the ground and open to things like speed bumps.

The second type replaces the oil pressure relief plug ( the big slotted screw head under the back of the engine ) this is the ideal place to measure temperature since its just before the oil cooler and you get a more accurate reading at that point.

Oil temperature is an "ok" method of checking whats going on but its also very slow. You get a reading but it takes time and your engine could be running hot before the oil heats up fast enough to tell  you something is wrong.

Now how do I know this, my super has oil temperature, oil pressure ( with the dual sender that allows the oil light to work ) cylinder head temperature and also the Gene Berg dipstick sender. Out of all of these the cylinder head gauge and the dipstick sender are the quickest to register changes within the engine.

also you need a sender for every gauge and they are all different. Oil pressure can be single or dual but with the dual you can keep your oil pressure light working. Cylinder head uses a ring and wire that fits under a spark plug  usually #3. Oil temp won't work off of the pressure sender and you will need one of the senders I mentioned above. The berg dipstick sender just replaces the dipstick and hooks into your oil light circuit if your engine gets too hot it causes the oil light to flash out of all the fancy stuff I've found this to be the cheapest, simplest, and most accurate.   
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

scarecrow

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:57:06 am »

Greg I have the set up you are thinking of. Dule sending unit for oil pressure so you have the guage & idiot light. I also have the oil temp unit that screw into the oil galley plug. Got the senders @ CIP1. Stop by if you want to see how it's hooked up

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:37:34 am »

Bob I was thinking aboue berg dipstick but I really want a gauge to compete my dash. Im hoping that the vod sender will work with the gauge, are they the only company that manufactures sending units for vw? Ive heard bad things about the sending units that hang down from the bottom. Marc id like to check out how yours is set up, what time do you get home from work monday?
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »

Greg:

There are two kinds of oil-dip stick temperture read-outs.  P#3

One is nothing more than an oven-meat thermometer- that is the gauge is at the end of the dip-stick

The other and this is the one I think you want. The dip-stick is (only) the sender.  It has a wire that goes to your gauge in your dashboard.

jt

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »

Oh boy here we go again. @7@
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:02:31 pm »

Oh boy here we go again. @7@

That kids got too much money to spend :icon_geek:
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 04:03:15 pm »

Oh boy here we go again.

LoL LoL LoL LoL

One is nothing more than an oven-meat thermometer- that is the gauge is at the end of the dip-stick

The other and this is the one I think you want. The dip-stick is (only) the sender.  It has a wire that goes to your gauge in your dashboard.

Greg

Joe is right I forgot about the other types. The meat thermometer one won't do much good since you can't read it from inside the car. The other type works well but isn't the same as the berg unit. For gauges stick with VDO they can't be beat for a vdub.
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 04:09:54 pm »

That kids got too much money to spend :icon_geek:

Needs to spend it on the right stuff. ::)
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:13:38 pm »

vdo doesnt make digital gauges :-(
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

scarecrow

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:27:36 pm »

Bob I was thinking aboue berg dipstick but I really want a gauge to compete my dash. Im hoping that the vod sender will work with the gauge, are they the only company that manufactures sending units for vw? Ive heard bad things about the sending units that hang down from the bottom. Marc id like to check out how yours is set up, what time do you get home from work monday?
I depends, email your cell # & I can call you when I'm leaving

Beetleboi -Greg-

• PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »

Needs to spend it on the right stuff. ::)

P#3 P#3 P#3 P#3 P#3 P#3 P#3 P#3 Where are my stone wash jeans?

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

scarecrow

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 06:17:35 am »

Ahhh  :icon_puke_l: The grave yard scene was stolen from "Easy Rider" movi-

dawelder

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:56:46 am »

Right stuff is also a gasket sealant made by permatex.  :icon_thumright:

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »

Greg I have the set up you are thinking of. Dule sending unit for oil pressure so you have the guage & idiot light. I also have the oil temp unit that screw into the oil galley plug. Got the senders @ CIP1. Stop by if you want to see how it's hooked up

Reminds me of a few things which I did not get around to yet, tying in a cheap little "buzzer" to go off when either one of my idiot lights go off.

Can't say I'm always staring at those lights while driving, yet want to know ASAP when my oil light comes on, (not even 3 - 5 seconds later!)     then -last but not LEAST  -  when my Gen light goes on.

Cheap good insurance! - should cost only a few bucks

Matt
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up