SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redo sunroof  (Read 8259 times)

Dagerm

Redo sunroof
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:47:41 pm »

Hi, I just thought I'd post a few pics of pulling out and putting back a sunroof off a 71SB.

I'll enter all the Bentley instructions in one post. So this is what I did today.

Start with sunroof half open.

Take headliner piece off of metal roof part using a wood wedge.There are five clips. I didn't use a wedge. I used the ends of my fingers and it came apart, Screwdriver would probably work also. But be careful. If you break the headliner part....that is probably 50 cuss words. &m& Then slide the headliner piece as far back as it will go.

This is apart

This is pushed back

Once headliner piece is pushed back shut sunroof to about a 2" opening.
This is the 2" opening...don't tell your wife this part if she still thinks it's 8" LAUGH@

The next step is remove the front guides. There is one on each side. They look like this. Just take the both screws off.

I really did get more than this done today, but the dinner bell just rang and I'm going to answer it. BO**
And besides that...If I put this in the wrong place it will give the Admins. and Mods time to move it and yell at me... 777

Dagerm

Re: Redo sunroof
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:43:50 pm »

I just got done a couple of hours ago...... :icon_wink: It took parts of three days to do. I was taking pics and posting them as I went.  It might take a couple more days to post everything....I'm getting hungry again....

Now we move on to the rear mounts. You will see two long pieces of metal. Pull those down...but not too hard and swing them toward the front of the car.

The next couple of pics is what you take the strips of metal off of: The end of the metal strip goes over the copper colored piece. Once the pieces are swung forward and out of the way,pull the spring toward the center of the car. That will release the pressure on the pin.  If it doesn't come out easily...I had the usual luck...one side was easy and the other one wasn't. Just loosen the nut and pull it out that way, then slap a little grease on it and PUT IT BACK! Once both sides are loose lift the front of the sunroof and slide it toward the front of the car until you have it out. The usual wiggle and jiggle rules apply here.  BO**

Next the felt strip comes out. There is a front 2/3 strip and a rear1/3 of the strip. All instructions for removing those pieces are in the next picture, just make sure it is sharp.

I replaced the curved pieces you see in the above picture. I knew if I took them out they would crumble and they did :icon_cry:. Before you take them out it would be a good time to look at the left side of the second pic in todays post. You will notice something that looks like a pull chain from an old lamp. Those are the cables. Now would be a good time to blow them out. You can still turn the sunroof crank and get everything to move forward and backward.
So that is what I did and then I shot some graphite in there.
Time to eat....should have rest for you guys in a couple of days.

Dagerm

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »

Crazy week at work.... Anyhoo

After the felt is gone you will need to clean the old glue off. I used a wire wheel with an extension on my drill. I used a bigger wheel than what is in the picture, but it will give you the idea. This is the front of the sunroof hole.
Look just above the wire wheel and you will see a piece of black metal with a hump in it. Cables go through there too. DO NOT turn the sunroof handle if the plastic covering piece is not in place or you are not pressing down of that piece...hand pressure is just fine. The cables will pop out and the inside of your car will look like spaghetti  !fright!. I got lucky and caught it before the cables popped out. Once you have pressure on that piece it is a good time to crank the handle back and forth and blow out and lube that section of cable also.

Next is cleaning the glue off the back part of the sunroof hole.  The glue is 35-40 years old it comes off real easy. Yes, I tried sitting in the seat to remove the glue. I was rewarded with glue dust in the mouth, eyes, ears, nose and any other thing I happed to have open at the time. Just hold the drill this way and then blow out the dust.

I'll spare you the pictures of stripping the paint off the sunroof....I'm sure you all know how paint stripper works.
I checked the drain holes for blockage next. These are the front holes(pencil stuck in one hole) There is one hole on each side.

I honestly don't know how the drain hose is connected to the hole. My guess is there is some sort of male connection under the hole and the hose slips over that. I also don't know how the hose is attached...clamp, glue...  s#r your guess is as good as mine. So I found the drain hoses and blew them out from the drain end. I figured if I blew them out from the bottom I would not run the risk of breaking the hose connection at the drain holes on top of the car. I don't know if I was right or not but it made sense at the time :icon_study:. Here is the hose...passenger side and marked with blue tape. There is one on the drivers side too...same place. I shot air in both of the hoses and it came out the top.

I never did SEE the rear drain holes, but I felt the air come out...strongly. They are well hidden. But I was able to check those for blockage also.. I found the drains. There are two, one on each side right behind the door.

I'll try and have this post finished by the end of the weekend. I have the sunroof shut tight. I glued the felt back and I am using the roof itself like a clamp.   The job is done, but I lost a couple of pictures. My wife took the camera to Wal Mart to download and the pics disappeared. I don't know for sure if it was her fault , but I'm going to blame it on her. I1t  I can't retake those pics until I open the roof. The glue is probably dry but another day or two won't hurt.

Dagerm

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:38:03 pm »

Well I thought I was done...less than 10 cuss words mistake though. If you remember I put the felt strips in and then reinstalled the sunroof and used it as a clamp to seal the felt strips in place....mostly a good idea. I opened the sunroof today and it did not open easily. Both sides and the front attached to the car just fine. The back part gave me a small problem. It would seem that when I shut the sunroof the glue was squeezed out and not only attached the felt to the car but to the sunroof also -55]. So when I opened the roof some of the back felt was pulled away from the car. The pic isn't that great, but trust me it is pulled away.

So this what I did. I used a Q tip and shoved some glue in there and used a couple of clamps. I tried C clamps but they won't fit....mini C clamps might work. Of course if you follow my hindsight instructions you won't have this problem. :wallbash:

Now let's do some hindsight instructions. I would have installed the back felt first and used some C clamps to hold it in place. I would have used some wood strips on the felt strip and on top of the sunroof hole to hold it in place until the glue was dry BEFORE I reinstalled the sunroof. By the way a C clamp will fit if the sunroof is not installed.
This is roughly where the back felt strip should start. I would have still installed the front felt and used the sunroof as the clamp...that part worked fine. :icon_cherry: Before I forget...when I received the felt strips and the back seal they were kind of folded up so I took them out of the package and left them out for a few days...they straightened out a little and were easier to work with :icon_wink:

This part is a little out of order. When you take the sunroof out you will have to scrape the old seal off...putty knife and wire brush works just fine. At the rear of the sunroof is a groove. I had a better picture, but my wife lost it. I1t
There really IS a groove there.

The seal has a protrusion on it that fits in that groove. I marked that with some blue tape. Make sure you look for this. It would be very easy to install this seal incorrectly.

This is the glue I used and a foam brush did just fine for applying the glue. I imagine any glue made for trim will work.

Rough morning... I keep forgetting parts. Reinstalling the front guides. There are three pieces. Two curved and one straight. The two curved pieces go on first. There are some tabs that you have to fit into the side rails and then install the middle straight piece.

And this is a picture of what it looked like before I opened it this morning and found out I had to reglue. It should look like this again when the glue dries P#3.

I'll still post the complete instructions from Bentley. I hope they scan Ok because I really don't want to type all that stuff.
So here we go. Three plastic pieces,two felt seals and a rubber seal.....right @ $120.00 from CIP1.
Keep in mind I did not have to buy side rails,cables and a couple of other pieces. My best memory of those pieces is that it would be $250-$300 total including the parts I bought NOT in addition to the $120 if you had to buy everything.
Hope this helps.....

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:11:42 pm »

Great, thanks for sharing it with us.

OK guys, now you know who to call for help with your sun roof.  ;D
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."
Pages: [1]   Go Up