SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted: Photos of you and your first ride!  (Read 9530 times)

Mikecoast

Wanted: Photos of you and your first ride!
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:24:32 am »

Since I started this post and John G is on the floor because I'm posting ... I'll be the first to share.

My first ride (vehicle) wasn't a VW. I'm a Jeep guy. Please enjoy the photo of my 1970 Jeepster Commando. Keep in mind that the image is from 1980 and my shorts and socks were in style. It's big issue with the Jeepster was the steering box would randomly fall off the frame ... no matter what we did to keep it attached. It's a long and very funny story. My Jeepster got me through 2 years of high school, a couple years of college and a couple more years after that. It had a removable ALL METAL HARDTOP which weighed a ton. I purchased a after-market soft top from Sears ... that never seem to fit the Jeepster all that well. When the top was down and the tunes cranked on in dash 8 track ... life was good!

ENJOY!

Also ... THANKS GREG for the MAC to stupid PC website conversion of a "right click". As you can see ... I can post images!

bugs2much

• PLATINUM Member
Re: Wanted: Photos of you and your first ride!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:56:16 am »

I'll look around I must have something. Great idea. I always thought the Jeeepster was a cool vehicle. Almost bought one a few years ago.
I don't know how fast my car will go.
It's more important that I know how fast my car will stop.

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »

need a little BBQ sauce with those chicken legs?

Seriously- Is that your Dad?  I wish I had a picture like that with my Dad. I didn't get one till a couple of years ago. I'll post it later. Hold onto that photo- it's gonna mean alot to you as the years go by.

BTW- jeeps suck.  LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@ LAUGH@

Sorry, I had to. My appologies.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

Mikecoast

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:01:00 pm »

NOPE ... not my Dad in the photo. It's my Mom's cousin from Texas. Just so happens that Buddy (Mom's cousin) was in town the weekend I purchased my Jeepster.

The short story ... back in 2000 I ran into a large pay day and business was very good. I had the extra bucks and decided to buy a "fun" vehicle. I looked at Jeepster's but I could afford one that was in any kind of shape. That's the reason I started looking at VW's. In the grand scheme of thing ... I'm very happy being a aircooled VW guy.

Mikecoast

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »

OH YEA ... CHICKEN LEGS?
I can't wait to see the image of your first ride. Did they have photography back then? OR do you have a pencil sketch?

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »

OH YEA ... CHICKEN LEGS?
I can't wait to see the image of your first ride. Did they have photography back then? OR do you have a pencil sketch?

OH SNAP!!!

That's pretty funny....

I'm scanning in my first car now.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 07:07:19 pm »

Story goes, my uncle had given me his 1956 Ford Hot Rod. Truck was pretty sweet, but his wife whom we no longer speak to, decided to sell it before my parents could put it in my name not only that but she sold a lot of his expensive bikes and tools... ANYWAY my grandfather had passed a year or two before my uncle and he use to drive this 1965 Ford Falcon Futura inline Believe it was a 170 which I swapped out for a 200 that was in the paper. Because the Futura needed more work than what my dad thought it was worth, we never put it on the road. Though I did enjoying driving it around the yard annoying the neighbor, whom most of you have heard stories.

Anywho...

Here are the pics,

ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

scarecrow

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »

Wow, Jeep Commando, so  $61$ looks even better than you discribed it. Have no picks of my first rides. they were all worthless junk anyway  :lipsrsealed:

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:52 am »

You guys asked for it!
This is my first ride, a 1958 Ford 2 door wagon. I worked my a d-s d-s off cutting lawns for a summer and managed to scrape up $50.00. An old guy my Dad knew was retiring from being a painter and this was his "work truck". When I got it it had a 312 Y block V8 and "3 on the tree", plus a multi colored interior that came from all the paint the guy hauled over the years. I spent part of the first summer fixing rust, sanding and painting the inside metal floors to get rid of the layers of spilled paint. I finally rented a small compressor and spray gun and applied "street fightin gray" primer to most of the car. You might notice the roof is still green, I ran out of primer and cash and never finished it. The car ran good and took me through senior high and somewhere got a chunk of gray carpet out of my parents basement, a cheap set of seat covers and a "Foxcraft floor shifter" ( about $12.00 back then ). Eventually my friends showed me how to "lay rubber" ( IE: todays language: burn rubber) and after several practice sessions the old engine couldn't take it and launched a rod through the block.

Ah to be young ( and stupid ) again!  screwey))
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:50 pm »

Here's mine. 67 Firebird. Chevy 307 & Powerglide. I'm the one with my back to the camera (lower left) as me & my cousin finish installing a new rear (note the 2 air nozzles just above my head. I always used 2 so I could adjust them individually).  screwey) Top right... Nice lakepipes. That was 1978 & I had functioning lakepipes!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:23:12 am by Bahaha »
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

vwtrike (Rich)

• PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 03:24:41 pm »

I think it's great to see everybody's first ride. I would add mine if I can find it, but I don't know how to add a picture to my text  ???  S@Sm

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »

email it to me rich I'll post it for you
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

hockeydoc33

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 08:38:08 pm »

My first car....

In 1964, my father bought a "bottom-of-the-line" Mercury Comet 202 two door sedan.  White with black interior, 170CI inline six, 3 on-the-tree stick, no carpet, radio delete and power nothing.  The only option was full wheel covers.

Great car?.. Seating for 6, 28 MPG around town, 20 gallon tank?. Built like a tank.  Dad gave it on to me with about 85K miles when I turned 17 in 1973.

2 weeks after getting my license, took out the right rear quarter and rear bumper while goofing around on a dirt road in Wharton State Forrest.  m-d2 m-d2

Phase 1 (had no $$$)

Installed a radio; off came the hub caps?..black rims with chrome lugs; JC Whitney cheapo floor shifter; carpeting; hi-back ?tombstone? buckets from a ?70 Duster.

Phase 2 (had very little $$$)

Bought a ?64 Comet Calente hardtop parts car; 260CI V8 with about 80K miles, no transmission? $50 including towing to my house.  Swapped the engine, rear, air shocks and front suspension into my sedan; 3 speed trans & bell housing from a junkyard; set of used ?chrome reverse? rims & good tires ($90) from a friend; used Lakewood traction bars, headers and ?Thrush? mufflers, Sun tach on the dashboard.

Shortly after the V8 swap, I spun the car while banging 2nd on a wet road?. Hit an embankment and rolled the car onto its side?. driver?s side down.  Bent tie rod; door handle crushed, slight windshield crack.  Got a $25 door (same color) from a junkyard, replaced the tie rod and I was back on the road in a week.  Like I said? Built like a tank.   drive&& drive&&

Here are some photos of a day at Atco Dragway in early 1974???. Best ET of 16.81. Not bad for a 260V8, 2 barrel, 3 speed with a 2.80 rear.  To put this in perspective, Car & Driver got the exact ET when they tested a Corvette 350 that year.

Yes, I am giving the "peace sign"........  P#3 P#3

Yes, I am wearing a "Easy Rider" stars and stripes helmet......

Yes, I was a cool dude.....  stoned# stoned#

Phase 3  (had a little more $$$)

Eventually swapped in a 302 with a 3.50 rear??. would smoke the tires at will.  I drove the thing to Illinois while in the Navy; when I got home in late ?75 I stripped the thing and had it towed to the scrap yard.

I intend to own another ?64 Comet some day!

rockdog2877

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »

my first was a  84 chevy celebrity. it was free...
i didn't start to drive till I was 24.my next car was a VW 1989 golf// a rusty piece of hell. but Fun!!!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:07:18 am by rockdog2877 »

AxlFoley

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:03:37 am »

See that?s where you Americans have a good deal, we end up with the mothers euro cast aways, usualy something like this, 950cc wont pull the skin of a rice pudding!

Although I was lucky and got this, 1303

Ended up looking like this
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up