SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halted Progress  (Read 3370 times)

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
Halted Progress
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

Hi, Well, I finally started the generator to alternator swap on Tuesday. I got the Generator off rather easily and swapped the mount and got everything put back together. However when I tightened the 36mm fan bolt, it bound up,  m-d I need more shims... &m& Had to order some! So now I will have to take it all apart again and add the shims, put it all back together again...  :wallbash: Happy happy joy joy  I1t  I still have to do the wiring inside the car as well. It's always something...  The car gods really like to mess with me! (love

Cheers,
Marc  stoned#
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

braidmeister

Re: Halted Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:04 pm »

I'm sure somebody has some extra shims laying around...How many / how thick do you need to make up to get where you need to be?

-Brady

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:29:45 pm »

How many / how thick do you need to make up to get where you need to be?
-Brady

I'm not sure it will be trial and error, usually error but that is just the car gods effing with me  !5!
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »

Why dont you do the wiring while you wait.

I may have some on a spare alternator.  Ill have to check tomorrow  &&&& time
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:31:00 am »

However when I tightened the 36mm fan bolt, it bound up,  m-d I need more shims..  The car gods really like to mess with me! (love

I have shims if you want them.

@3# Not the car gods grasshopper, it's the guy that never leaves his car alone, always trying new chit. :icon_cheesygrin: mark it up to live and learn.  c23  gifsawsall  weldface You get bronz_cup-winner for trying (and doing) tho.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:37 am »

@3# Not the car gods grasshopper, it's the guy that never leaves his car alone, always trying new chit. :icon_cheesygrin:

You are wrong this time sensei 777  I am only putting on the alternator since the car gods decided to make my voltage regulator / generator fail at 2 years old.  Had it kept working I would not have taken the alternator out of the basement to put on the car. So I was not fixing what was not broken...  I do get where you are coming from, and would not have blamed the car gods without reason, they are already effing with me on the new car, so I really don't want to piss them off any further...   but thanks for the  (love  and the offer of shimms.
1985 Westfalia Millie

- Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up