SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nervous engine rebuild part two  (Read 3409 times)

marcr1

nervous engine rebuild part two
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »

Hi all,

This could be a long story but i will make it as short as possible.
                    I should have taken the advice of many of you and ran away from Perfomance Machine in sayreville.
                    After being told it would take 2 weeks to bore and rebuild the engine I took the car back today after
                     a 3 1/2 month wait. 

Please add peformance machine to the list of places not to use. 
                    If anybody wants to know the whole story i will gladly tell them. Too many things to list here.

marcr1

Re: nervous engine rebuild part two
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:32:58 pm »

Where should i start,

I needed to send the case out for some work that i do not do here.
                                   It's only been 10 days why would the case be back.
                                   The parts are on back order.
                                    You want to see the invoice and tracking number. i leave that stuff home so i will get it
                                      tomorrow.
                                   I also need to machine the case to fit the new pistons and cylinders, that will take me
                                   almost a day.
                                      Fedex was supposed to be here yesterday with the parts.
                                    I can't find new engine mounts.
                                    They turned the electric off and it will take a few days to get it back on.
                                     These are just some of them.......

within 3 days i had all the parts the mechanic could not seem to find or were on back
                                    order.

The kicker for me was when the power was out another guy was there pulling his job from the mechanic also.  it seems he had his car for 4 months waiting on a some kind of race cam. the guy walked in with it and said i found it in one day.
                                So i pulled my job a few days later when  was able to get some help.

It seems to me Performance machine at one time had a very good name in my area and where very well respected on the race circut at englishtown.  But not anymore.

marcr1

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:40 pm »

i forgot my favorite excuse.

you couldn't drive the car between july and sept anyway it's just to hot.

i have a convertible with no heat. when am i supposed to drive it.

braidmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:24:28 pm »

That's a bummer man. I'm planning on just buying a case & heads already opened up. I can take it from there.

Although...I *should* buy the tooling needed for my Bridgeport mill to do my own machining.

At this point I am assuming that he still hasn't done anything on your motor? It might be a good idea to scoop up the parts & send it out to Rimco.

-Brady

PS - Good to see you tonight brainfart
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:05:48 am by braidmeister »

marcr1

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:55:21 pm »

Brady,

It was about 95% done when i showed up today.
                            I was told i will  be able to drive away with it by 10:00 am

i get there and he asks if i can find him the nut that holds the fan
                             on.  thinking i had one at home i go to get it. i was wrong i did not have one.
                             He then tells me that  he has one at home and it will be a few more days before he can finish.
                              hopefully next week.  at that point i got my stuff and left.
                              after pushing the car about 3/4 of a mile to my mechanic he reaches into a draw pulls outthe
                              part i need and is in the process of putting the engine back in the car.
                               My mechanic who recommended this other guy was very apoligetic .Next time he is on vacation i will just wai for him to come back.

by the way brady i still have not used the dual carbs i had gotten from you.

braidmeister

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:59 am »

I hope it all works out for you soon.

Yanno...Jack did a really nice 'How to rebuild your engine' video that takes you thru each step of rebuilding an engine. With that and a 'How to rebuild your VW engine' book, you should have enough info to light up all of your blind spots and do your own work. If you can follow instructions, and keep things surgically clean while assembling the internals of the engine, you can do it all yourself. You'll save money, gain experience, have bragging rights & KNOW exactly what is in your engine without any BS.

What one man can do, another can do. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

-Brady

njgt-1

• Charter Member---Past Club President
  • PLATINUM Member
    • South Jersey VW Club
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »

If you can follow instructions, and keep things surgically clean while assembling the internals of the engine, you can do it all yourself. You'll save money, gain experience, have bragging rights & KNOW exactly what is in your engine without any BS.

I know its a bit late now but there are some good engine kits out there that supply everything but the case and machine work. Gene Berg ( expensive but very good ) Scat ( not bad but cheaper than Berg ) and CB performance all have kits that are complete and if you never built an engine before this is a good way to go since you don't have to worry about getting the wrong parts. Even if you couldn't assemble it a competent shop could with no problems.

Too bad about your problems but that "builder" doesn't sound like he knows what hes doing. Most of the missing parts could ahve been gotten mail order in less than a week. Sounds more like hes having money problems ( power off ?? ) and thats why its taking so long. I hope it all works out for you..
\\\\\\\"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing\\\\\\\"

Ben Franklin

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:08:33 pm »

Where do you live?
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

marcr1

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »

I am in east brunswick. As today the car is with my own mechanic and he is going to finish the job.

Pages: [1]   Go Up