Author Topic: My rant about posting  (Read 3959 times)

Offline 6T5 square

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
My rant about posting
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
Good evening all

Recently you have probably heard me ranting and raving about people posting events. My complaints have gotten me into arguments, feelings have been hurt, mayhem has persued. I have done the events calendar for over 2 years now. In between me, Jay did a great job with what can be a sometimes frustrating job. Dont get me wrong, it's not a tough job, just kind of demanding in the first few months of the show season. But the reason for this post is because the other night at the directors meeting I had to once again explain an issue I had with the calendar. The members said my explanation made good sense so I want to share it with all of you.

First of all, the calendar is not mine. It's yours. If you know of an event or are planning an event, I want it on the calendar. I would like to see an event every weekend, be it a VW show or not. But the reason it should come through the events chair is that Jack and  I have the only access to the club calendar. If you give me the info, I can put it on the calendar so that when a member or guest clicks on that date the link takes them directly to the post of the show. Now when that post opens up, the first thing I want them to see is the post I put there with all the information about the show- dates, times, prices, etc. Not 4 or 5 posts about why this show isnt posted or is anybody going. I dont think a new member or guest is going to go through a bunch of posts just to find the info they are looking for. This is why if you open a few of the show posts, you'll see my first post says "more info to come". When more info comes out, I'll be able to modify my post with such info.
I know there are alot of shows that have set dates. But I've been waiting for further info so I can put up a complete post.
For those of you that are intrested these are the sites that i check for shows and updates
the samba
GTI16V
Central jersey upcoming events
Cruisin news calendar
carshownews.com
VWshows.com
I have been using these sites for the past 4 years. I have found them fairly reliable but for some reason, most of them have been kinda slow posting. I check these sites a couple of times a week but I am not chained to my computer all day long. Some times it may take a week to get a show posted here. To this I ask for your patience. I will get it posted. If I miss it or overlook it, then pm me. I will get it posted with in 24 hours for you. All I ask from you is a little help and understanding.

Ok thats my rant. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Offline matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
Re: My rant about posting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

sounds OK to me

scarecrow

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
Your efforts are appreciated  :icon_thumleft: #@$

Offline 6T5 square

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Thanks guys. I know the support is there.

Offline 50split(paul)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »
where's the old listing of all the shows????????????????

Offline lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
where's the old listing of all the shows????????????????

Same place as always = Upcoming Events/Shows

Offline 50split(paul)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »
they are not there.........................

Offline lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
yes they are.............................................!

Offline 50split(paul)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
when i click on that i only get two subject lines...this one and the "if you have a show to post do it this way" one. wtf?

Offline lovebus (jack)

• Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »
Opps,  :icon_pale: I forgot, its to late tonight but I'll fix that tomorrow I'm going to bed now. :icon_cheesygrin:

It was changed so only John can post there but I didn't think about letting others read but no post.

Offline 50split(paul)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
so i'm not crazy........................

Offline 50split(paul)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »
Opps,  :icon_pale: I forgot, its to late tonight but I'll fix that tomorrow I'm going to bed now. :icon_cheesygrin:

It was changed so only John can post there but I didn't think about letting others read but no post.
not to be a putz but i think we should be able to post about a show.
i think it's good to have john be the first post so you get all the pertinent info but the feedback that follows is also important.