SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camper / Bus Up Grades "DIY"  (Read 8909 times)

DreamWeaver J@Y:~}

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • VW Vanagon's with a Touch of Subaru
Camper / Bus Up Grades "DIY"
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:30 am »

Here are some DIY camper up grades to make your Camper or Bus a more modern, usable and enjoyable Vehicle.

Battery Combiners. There are several available, the older relay types, and the newer High Tech ones, like Blue Seas, and Yandina.  
The newer electronic Combiners are slick and simple. Also water tight and sealed in resin, these type were made for the boating enthusiast but work fabulously for our small campers. Prices for both combiners mentioned above are in the $65.00 price range.  

Although I use to install and recommend the Blue Seas, as it has a few more options,  I've switch to the Yandina's about a year ago and usually have at lease one on hand.

AUX Batteries.  
Although everyone has there own option and brands of what Batteries are best to use for a Aux Battery. Example Gell Cell, Dry, or Wet, DeepCycle Battery etc.
 I have personally found that WallyFart has the best price on Deep Cycle marine Batteries. I would recommend buying the two year warranty largest Deep Cycle battery amp hour that you can fit into the available space you have available, or if you really have the need for more off-grid power with no means of replenishing your batteries go with two or more batteries providing you have the available space.
 Also Wallmart is a national company and if you have any problem return it no questions asked regardless what state your in! Here's what I do for myself and customers. I will buy the 2 year battery place the warranty cash tape in a baggie and tape it to the battery. Log that date into my calendar and about 23 months later take that battery back to wallmart and there give you another free battery so in short now you just got 4 years out of a 2 year battery.  BTW I also do this for my many cars etc. Works everytime. clap2-*

AC Battery Chargers
Add a small onboard AC battery maintainer and your be pretty much set when parked be it at home or is you have shore power at your camping site.

Solar / Green Power
 I have just located a local source of Quality high output Commercial Solar Panels. These are new Panels and have the newer Blackened anodized Frames. The power output is 200-250 Watts. The Size of these Panels average 3x5'  Price is approx. a $1.00 per watt.
 BTW, the larger the Wattage the sooner and quicker your power replenishes, as even in dim lighting your capture more recharge then a lessor Panel.
 Charge controllers also available @ $20.00 - $30.00

Mounting of Solar Panels
 For many of us a Solar Panel can easily be mounted to your rooftop, or as in my case under my roofrack bars. Making the rack usable.
 BTW. Solar Panels are mainly used when parked for extended stays, and replenishing your AUX battery.

Another Option for your Solar Panel mounting would be to use some creativity and mount the Panel as a Sun shade.. Meaning create a bracket above your side door and some supports to hold the Solar Panel about the Door. It will serve two purposes Replenish your AUX Battery, and Provide Sun / Rain shade while parked. Then a quick disconnect to relocate the Panel for travel. The Panels weigh about 30lbs.

Hi Tech Fridges.
 Technology has brought with it some cool new Hi Tech Refrigerators, these cool little Fridges even have actual Freezers so you can quickly make Ice or even have Ice Cream on the go. They are quick recovery units, and a mini version of your home fridge. They come in various sizes and operate on AC/DC, and auto switching with AC 1st option when the units see shore power. The DC power consumption is very low and one 100amp hour Deep Cycle Battery will easily maintain these new Fridges for a weekend so long as you don't open the door every 10 minutes like a child.  

Pictures to Follow.  

Good Luck. Let me know if you need any help..
 Life's G@@D @ Vanagon Land  =bananachaplin+= .

Believe that and I'll gladly sell you some swamp land in the Everglades.  &^rofl

DreamWeaver J@Y:~}

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • VW Vanagon's with a Touch of Subaru
Re: Camper / Bus Up Grades "DIY"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:31 am »

This is a Recent Truck Fridge TF49 Install. Note small Yandina Battery Combiner lower Left Corner of Pix.

TF49 with Blue LED Interior Light, and Yandina Battery Combiner

TF49 at Night

Here is a VitroFrigo C51 Fridge, and Another Yandina Battery Combiner Installed..

Note Custom Made Storage under Fridge

Life's G@@D @ Vanagon Land  =bananachaplin+= .

Believe that and I'll gladly sell you some swamp land in the Everglades.  &^rofl

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:54 pm »

You da man, good s@#%,

I always wanted to add a Battery Combiner/ think I'll order one.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

kvbug (karen)

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

WOW!!  Those are some seriously nice upgrades!!!   thumpup)-     clap2-*
Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. ~Benjamin Franklin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

1970 VW Beetle ,  "Charlie"

Baha (Shawn)

• PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:15:10 pm »

You da man, good s@#%,

I always wanted to add a Battery Combiner/ think I'll order one.

Yandina.com   Combiner 100. Don't forget to order your 1c aspirin powered hatch closer
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Baha (Shawn)

• PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:17:48 pm »

BTW Thanks to Jay for sharing all his cool tricks.

Tyler was the "God of Power" at the FireFly Festival
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Beetleboi -Greg-

• Band for hire, let me know what you need!
  • PLATINUM Member
    • Greg's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:32:37 am »

Bump, sorry had to kick this thread alive again. Dual battery may be my next project. Was there a more involved thread that I'm missing? I did a search and got this.

2nd Battery will run:
CB (when I get one)
Usb outlets two in back maybe one in the middle
Power inverter
Add on fuse box for whatever else I can think of

Does the Yardina have an over ride so you can jump start it if the starting battery is dead? I saw that the Cole Hersee battery isolator does.
ROUTE 66 MAY 2014

1972 Volkswagen WestFakia "Mildred"

You buy your own bus, and do what you want to your bus. I'll do what I want to so with mine. Pissing off purists one modification at at time.

"After a Hurricane Comes a Rainbow" - Katy Perry

Bugaru "JAY"

• Car Show/Events Chairperson
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Subaru Powered 300+ HP
    • Events Chairperson
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »

The reasons for adding a second Battery are mainly to preserve your starting Battery.

In short you can connect anything you want to the 2nd Battery without fear of leaving you stranded and draining your starting battery.

The purpose of a  battery combiner is this....

==> It will only combine both batteries when the 1st Battery "Starting Battery" has reached it's float Current meaning 12+ volts at which time both batteries will charge providing dual charging of both batteries while driving. When the engine is shut off it will then separate and isolate both batteries so that only your 2nd battery is used for camping needs.

There are Battery Combiner units out there that can also serve as the 2nd battery becoming a starting Battery it all depends on how involved and elaborate you wish to be.. To me the simplicity of having 2 fully charged batteries is comforting. 

Also a Battery Combiner terms refers to only charging of both batteries, not using both batteries for the same use.
 Battery Combiners are also called Battery Isolators as they do both functions. 

Some use the term Van, coach, or House Battery. But I'd prefer to use the terms A & B batteries. Because A for Auto needs, and B for everything in the back or behind the steering wheel. It's less confusing and simplifies the terms because the letter says exactly what battery your referring to. If more power was needed and you were to add a 2nd battery for your Van Camping needs it would be tied to B but for reasons of identifications called "C"

It gets a little more confusing but this should help simplify the brain cells.   

TURBO'ed 1956 Oval Window aka LOUIE. It Sucks Blows and Goes Fast-tttttt

My Dubs are built with the Best and Cheapest Quality rejected Parts.
Ok. So I'm missing and have a few loose screws, but those are only in my head

Politically Incorect and Damn Proud of it!

skibumtgm

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »

Found a cool site today during a boring Webex Meeting and thought it belonged here. 

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html#seatbelts

Baywindow Guide to Upgrades

by Richard Atwell
(c) Copyright 2004-2011
      badge

The Germans built a fine vehicle when the first second generation Type 2 rolled off the assembly line in August 1967. The sliding door is an engineering marvel and the baywindow view is fabulous. I love the way the bus rides and the steering and seating position are just plain fun to experience.

If you are new to VWs you'll find they are not without the quirks either. Some of these can be modernized, others you have to live with. The Upgrades listed below have been used on my own bus for several years. They have proven themselves durable, worthwhile and money well spent.

Foremost, aftermarket "improvements" have to be chosen with care. Most items that come from Asia or south of the border are absolute junk. Here's my guide to essential upgrades and ones to avoid so you don't learn the hard way.

rich67vw

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »

Article is 100% accurate - so true... thumpup)-

Ty, next time, mute your phone so I dont hear you snoring on your WebEx meeting... #@rofl3

skibumtgm

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »

Ty, next time, mute your phone so I dont hear you snoring on your WebEx meeting... #@rofl3

Sometimes they are such a waste.  Thank god i have two monitors so i can stay productive  thumpup)-
Pages: [1]   Go Up