Archive > Westfalia Tips and Tricks

Camper / Bus Up Grades "DIY"

(1/3) > >>

DreamWeaver J@Y:~}:
 Here are some DIY camper up grades to make your Camper or Bus a more modern, usable and enjoyable Vehicle.

Battery Combiners. There are several available, the older relay types, and the newer High Tech ones, like Blue Seas, and Yandina.  
The newer electronic Combiners are slick and simple. Also water tight and sealed in resin, these type were made for the boating enthusiast but work fabulously for our small campers. Prices for both combiners mentioned above are in the $65.00 price range.  

Although I use to install and recommend the Blue Seas, as it has a few more options,  I've switch to the Yandina's about a year ago and usually have at lease one on hand.

AUX Batteries.  
Although everyone has there own option and brands of what Batteries are best to use for a Aux Battery. Example Gell Cell, Dry, or Wet, DeepCycle Battery etc.
 I have personally found that WallyFart has the best price on Deep Cycle marine Batteries. I would recommend buying the two year warranty largest Deep Cycle battery amp hour that you can fit into the available space you have available, or if you really have the need for more off-grid power with no means of replenishing your batteries go with two or more batteries providing you have the available space.
 Also Wallmart is a national company and if you have any problem return it no questions asked regardless what state your in! Here's what I do for myself and customers. I will buy the 2 year battery place the warranty cash tape in a baggie and tape it to the battery. Log that date into my calendar and about 23 months later take that battery back to wallmart and there give you another free battery so in short now you just got 4 years out of a 2 year battery.  BTW I also do this for my many cars etc. Works everytime. clap2-*

AC Battery Chargers
Add a small onboard AC battery maintainer and your be pretty much set when parked be it at home or is you have shore power at your camping site.

Solar / Green Power
 I have just located a local source of Quality high output Commercial Solar Panels. These are new Panels and have the newer Blackened anodized Frames. The power output is 200-250 Watts. The Size of these Panels average 3x5'  Price is approx. a $1.00 per watt.
 BTW, the larger the Wattage the sooner and quicker your power replenishes, as even in dim lighting your capture more recharge then a lessor Panel.
 Charge controllers also available @ $20.00 - $30.00

Mounting of Solar Panels
 For many of us a Solar Panel can easily be mounted to your rooftop, or as in my case under my roofrack bars. Making the rack usable.
 BTW. Solar Panels are mainly used when parked for extended stays, and replenishing your AUX battery.

Another Option for your Solar Panel mounting would be to use some creativity and mount the Panel as a Sun shade.. Meaning create a bracket above your side door and some supports to hold the Solar Panel about the Door. It will serve two purposes Replenish your AUX Battery, and Provide Sun / Rain shade while parked. Then a quick disconnect to relocate the Panel for travel. The Panels weigh about 30lbs.

Hi Tech Fridges.
 Technology has brought with it some cool new Hi Tech Refrigerators, these cool little Fridges even have actual Freezers so you can quickly make Ice or even have Ice Cream on the go. They are quick recovery units, and a mini version of your home fridge. They come in various sizes and operate on AC/DC, and auto switching with AC 1st option when the units see shore power. The DC power consumption is very low and one 100amp hour Deep Cycle Battery will easily maintain these new Fridges for a weekend so long as you don't open the door every 10 minutes like a child.  

Pictures to Follow.  

Good Luck. Let me know if you need any help..

DreamWeaver J@Y:~}:

This is a Recent Truck Fridge TF49 Install. Note small Yandina Battery Combiner lower Left Corner of Pix.

TF49 with Blue LED Interior Light, and Yandina Battery Combiner

TF49 at Night

Here is a VitroFrigo C51 Fridge, and Another Yandina Battery Combiner Installed..

Note Custom Made Storage under Fridge

lovebus (jack):
You da man, good s@#%,

I always wanted to add a Battery Combiner/ think I'll order one.

kvbug (karen):
WOW!!  Those are some seriously nice upgrades!!!   thumpup)-     clap2-*

Baha (Shawn):

--- Quote from: JackWagen   (jack) on July 01, 2013, 12:40:54 pm ---You da man, good s@#%,

I always wanted to add a Battery Combiner/ think I'll order one.

--- End quote ---

Yandina.com   Combiner 100. Don't forget to order your 1c aspirin powered hatch closer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version