Archive > Westfalia Tips and Tricks

Do you really need the filter to use a 20lb cylinder on your Buddy heater?

(1/1)

grungeant (Anthony):
I found out why you need the filter if you use a 20lb propane cylinder with your Buddy Heater.
The reason is because there is stuff called plasticizer in the adapter hoses that keeps them from rotting. It's some sort of oily substance and the high pressure from the 20lb cylinder forces some of it into the heater.
Ever since I used my heater with the 20lb cylinder it hasn't worked right even when using a 1lb cylinder. I read that the plasticizer makes the heater unrealiable which mine was. It would go out every 10-15minutes or so, and the pilot didn't seem as big as it should.
I cleaned everything near the pilot area with a q-tip and alcohol and carefully cleaned the ceramic plate with alcohol the best I could and immediately noticed it was burning better and stronger on low with a 1lb cylinder and the pilot light was bigger and cleaner.
I now have the filter which Mr Heater says prevents the plasticizer from going through the plumbing and fowling things up.
I can now open the 20lb cylinder all the way up and it burns fine with the filter.

I also read that some hoses do not have plastisizer in them so that would explain why some people run their buddy heaters without the filter and have no trouble, and others do.

lovebus (jack):
Hummmm I use a 20 and a 5 pounder and never had a problem.

grungeant (Anthony):

--- Quote from: JackWagen   (jack) on February 09, 2014, 10:17:28 am ---Hummmm I use a 20 and a 5 pounder and never had a problem.

--- End quote ---

I found something on the internet where someone posted a reply they got when they emailed the manufacturer.
They said some hoses have plasticizer and some do not. If you have a hose without plasticizer you do not need the filter.
Mine must've had plasticizer in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version